Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 13:46

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: what is going on here?
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2012, 17:24 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

In the muskrat pond I found this hole in the bank, my first guess is that its a muskrat hole. I put the connibear in front of it as shown in the pic, but for two days in a row there has been old cattails and grass pushed out of the hole and almost into the trap, as if something from in the bank is pushing all this stuff out. What is going on?

8 Raccoons

"Every creature that is alive is yours to eat; I give them all to you as I did the green plants."
Genesis 9:3

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2012, 17:32 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I know as a kid when trapping pocket gophers they would do something similar by pushing dirt onto the trap we had placed in their tunnel. We referred to this as getting plugged and it really sucked, it pretty much meant they were on to us and our trapping and were harder to catch. My advice would be to place a coil spring trap right at the entrance and see what happens. Hope you get the culprit!

BAIT? URINE? LURE? DON'T NEED IT WHEN I'M USING MB'S!

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2012, 19:51 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

thanks for the advice. them holes are hard to find under all that vegatation especially if the hole is under water i will have to dig through all the cattails and muck to find the hole. I have caught two rats out of that pond and the landowner said that since i have caught the two muskrats he hasnt seen any more muskrats in the water early in the mornings.

8 Raccoons

"Every creature that is alive is yours to eat; I give them all to you as I did the green plants."

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2012, 20:47 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

jase wrote:
CoonGitter wrote:
thanks for the advice. them holes are hard to find under all that vegatation especially if the hole is under water i will have to dig through all the cattails and muck to find the hole. I have caught two rats out of that pond and the landowner said that since i have caught the two muskrats he hasnt seen any more muskrats in the water early in the mornings.

That is quite common for rats. They may not have great intelligence, but they are smart enough to know when they are being preyed upon. In a pond, a person is wise to hit them as hard as you can setting as many traps as possible right from the get go. With in just a short time, they catch on and will hole up and refuse to come out. They have a store of food in there dens and tunnels, and when threatened, will stay "in" for several weeks. When they catch on, it's time to move on, but don't be fooled, there still are plenty there. The life of a rat trapper..... move, move, move. Rarely am I at a pond longer than 3 days, most only 2. I do go back after several weeks, and always find there were more, and I hit them a second time. Twice in a season, of 2 days worth of trapping, normally about does it for a normal pond.

To learn where all the dens are, go back to the pond when there is the beginnings of ice covering the pond. You will see lots of bubble trails in lines, and many will come together towards the bank where the den is. You may either mark the dens location with a marking flag, and or wait until the ice will hold you, and chop through right where the bubbles lead. It's a dead give away. So easy in fact, I try not to trap rats until there is ice. It takes much less work, and you get to deal with crystal clear water under the ice, where as with no ice, you have to wade, and the bottom sediment gets all stirred up and makes things much tougher.

:--D sounds good, learned a lot from that post

8 Raccoons

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2012, 21:41 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

jase wrote:
I have dealt with that before. In the instance that happened to me, it was the same thing, hole mostly exposed, and rats were pushing heavy vegetation along with a little mud into the opening. What I found, was that often, rats will have several holes and tunnels that lead to the same living area in the bank. With one of the holes exposed, they feel vulnerable to weather and predators, so they plug it up temporarily until they need it in the future when water levels are sealing off the entrance, then they are apt to use it again. I found they were using a hole very near where the hole they were plugging was. It rest lower and in the water column, and a bit out from the shore line, and off center to the side by a foot and a half. I took several rats from it, and removed the matter from the exposed hole, and they never blocked it again while I trapped the pond so I am guessing I drilled the same rats. Before, I would move the vegetation with a trap in front like yours, and they would simply block it off again.

On the other hand, that is just what I got from the experience, and could very well be what Happy trapper described,,,,, I have had beavers do similar things when I know they were spooked a little.

Hope you catch them!

Thanks for the tip on the plugged hole! I dug around the weeds and found the other hole. I put a 110 in there and got one :--D . The muskrats are starting to build a muskrat house so I put a 1.5 rubber jaw cs at the base where they are coming out of the water and I caught one. I also caught a muskrat at the den where I caught some previously. There are more rats in that pond than I thought.

Catch of the day

The muskrat house, i found a hole in the bottom and put a 110 in front of it but i didnt catch anything. They must not be using it yet. I put a 110 at the base of the ramp

A few holes I found

8 Raccoons

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2012, 21:44 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Looks like some great sets! Nice catches, they like like very nice rats!

BAIT? URINE? LURE? DON'T NEED IT WHEN I'M USING MB'S!

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2012, 22:49 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

i learned a lot to wish ihad some rats to trap around here

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9
bobcat 7
otter 2

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2012, 22:51 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Very nice! Any time I see rats, I think easy money :wink: Congrats!

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2012, 09:15 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

way to figure it out.