Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 11:01

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2012, 17:02 
Trapper
Trapper

oops! Didn't vent mine. Hope it doesn't blow before I get to it tomorrow. Got it strung up in a tree near work.

Turkey
Deer
Racoon
Mink
Weasel
Fisher
Coyote
Red Fox
Grey Fox
Red Squirrel
Grey Squirrel

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2012, 17:38 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Great Post

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2012, 21:38 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

i found jase is the flies get into it if you drain it through a butterfly net it cleans it out real good lol.....with that set up though you guys aint going to have nothing get into them lol .....nice work guys lol

Check out my you tube page!!! alot of the stuff i learned on here i have made video's of them ..... http://www.youtube.com/user/ski31989?feature=mhee

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2012, 22:11 
Trapper
Trapper

That looks like some "Good stuff" lol i have some fish oil "Cooking" out in this weather.... i was wondering what you used the Beaver tail essence for? I'm guessing some ingredient in a lure or bit, but thats just a guess.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2012, 18:44 
Trapper
Trapper

Beaver tail oil....
I have found it to work great without any bait for our yotes. Only wish I had more water so I could get more beaver!

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2012, 18:48 
Trapper
Trapper

Have used beaver tail for fisher and it seemed to work. Don't know why essence worked work equally well as an attractant.

Turkey
Deer
Racoon
Mink
Weasel
Fisher
Coyote
Red Fox
Grey Fox
Red Squirrel
Grey Squirrel

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2012, 18:51 
Trapper
Trapper

Managed to get to my jar before she blew this morning. Used the rag and cap this time around because of ease. Will use tube and water system next time. Maybe a little fishing is in order for the weekend!

Turkey
Deer
Racoon
Mink
Weasel
Fisher
Coyote
Red Fox
Grey Fox
Red Squirrel
Grey Squirrel

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2012, 19:49 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

The beaver tail oil is one of my favrite lures for coyote and has even helped a wolf find its way to the fur shead, great stuff. Thanks for puttin this out for every one to see Jase.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2012, 04:13 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Dang it, you guys! I had a big ol' garbage bag full of beaver tails in the freezer, but I threw them out to make room for freshly caught Alaskan salmon. Now I wish I would've made some beaver tail essence out of them. I had intentions of using them for some kind of cut bait. I figured I could just dice them up and soak them in castor and tonquin then add a little preservative and bottle it up. I guess I'll have to wait until this fall to make that happen. I might just sacrifice some of the salmon for some fish oil instead. I know any old fish will do, but oily salmon should really work better. Besides, the coons up here have a sophisticated pallet and I might as well cater to their desires. :--D I don't know about you guys, but I'm thinking about trapping morning, noon, and night. I don't think I can wait much longer.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2012, 04:28 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Hey guys,
When you guys make your fish oil or beaver tail essence do you add anything to it? ie. water, castor... The jars you guys show in the picture appear to have water added to them. Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2012, 03:36 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I understand that the sun and heat as well as the size of the chunks play a pretty critical roll in the whole process, but how long do you usually let this stuff render? I've still got some beaver meat in gallon jars that I let sit in the sun for a couple days. I put it in the freezer after it started turning green. I guess you could call it a heavy taint. :mrgreen: Do you think that using that beaver meat would work OK for making essence or would it still be OK as a bait. I guess I have 2 jars of it. I could try and make one into essence and the keep the other for bait.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2012, 07:13 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Now that's what I'm talkin about! I like that system, and had I been doing it that way I wouldn't have been starting over since the maggots got into my fish oil! :evil: Very good post!

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2012, 19:35 
Trapper
Trapper

Excellent post and well deserved sticky there Jase!
......learn a lil suttin everyday on here, i do :mrgreen:

Coyote -
Bobcat -
Fox -
Mink -
Muskrat -
Marten -
Fisher -
Grinners -
Stinkers -
Fingers - 2 (good thing it was only a 110 lol)

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2012, 08:07 

Quote:
I don't know about you guys, but I'm thinking about trapping morning, noon, and night. I don't think I can wait much longer.

right there with ya Sniper! :--D

Quote:
Trapper Al put us on,,,, beaver tail

glad I got to be the one Jase....AMAK! I love the smell of that stuff and I'm glad that it fits in well with what youre doing on the line. :--D

Quote:
Just don't forget and let the water go dry

I saw a great post on this, instead of putting the hoses in water they put one of those aquarium stones on the end of the hose! I thought that was a great idea. i suppose a guy could make up a bunch of covers and only use a couple inches of hose for each one, and cap it with an aquarium stone. i know they are cheap and they last a long time.

Quote:
Hey guys,
When you guys make your fish oil or beaver tail essence do you add anything to it? ie. water, castor... The jars you guys show in the picture appear to have water added to them. Thanks for your help!

i dont know how other guys do it, but I do not add anything during the initial rendering of either of those products. i will combine stuff after they are fully rendered. might make a good experiment though....i wonder what a drop of quill in a quart of fish chunks would smell like after 3 months....hmmmm 8|

Quote:
I guess I have 2 jars of it. I could try and make one into essence and the keep the other for bait.

a couple days in the sun is about right for a mild taint. i guess i would keep them both for bait. get some sodium benzoate and preserve them. then jar them and let them sit in a cool dark place. by trapping season you should have a good bait there. you will be surprised how much the taint smell mellows over time. that is one of the things that continues to surprise me about lure/bait making...how much odors mellow, settle, and change over time. you will find that just the straight tainted bait works, or you can mix it with something.

Quote:
I'm not real sure you would get the same product using actual beaver meat, as the fat content may not be high enough. The tail of the beaver is special in the sense it has lots and lots of fat and oil content.

its not! i have sun rendered beaver meat and it turns pretty gooey and kind of a fleshy pink maroonish color. then it gets paste like. i have used it as an additive to other baits. it is better, imo, to keep the meat as bait.

Quote:
As far as bait, I would flavor the meat with the castor/tonquin meat bait recipe. That should cover a bit of the taint smell, as canines will roll on meats that got to much taint. It makes a better meat bait to flavor anyway even using fresh meat. The difference is phenomenal when compared to using just straight meat bait. But yes I would make bait out of it if it were me, of the flavored variety.

what he said! I caught several fox on his beaver/tonquin and beaver/asa. baits last season! i preferred the tonquin. thank you Jase!

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2012, 17:25 
Trapper
Trapper

I got to try this..i think I be chopping a couple inches off the base of my beaver tails before sending them in for bounty.I trap a lot of beaver so It will won,t take long to add up.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2012, 17:12 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

What exactly is your method for getting the oil form the jar to the bottle? Are the remnants of the materials used to make the oil tossed?

BAIT? URINE? LURE? DON'T NEED IT WHEN I'M USING MB'S!

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2012, 19:03 

i have a large eye dropper that works good, or a syringe. i would think a turkey baster would work as well.