Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 23:32

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: End of Season
PostPosted: 18 Mar 2011, 19:17 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Still no more yotes. I have decided to pull my snare line next friday. Now I gotta prepare for turkey season. I am also working on trying to catch a problematic chipmunk and some mice. I guess I always have to be trapping something :lol:

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2011, 23:34 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

do you not have problems with other animals gettin in your snares. I would like to put mine out just worried a fox will get in em. On the note of turkey season, i did see 2 gobblers strutin. Cant wait till the opener

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2011, 12:24 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Problems do arise with non target species. If you trap long enough, you will encounter a few. I had a few of these undisclosed catches this year. Its just part of it, you just have to do the right thing when it happens and not say a word to anybody. Just be keep your ethics in those situations. I'm sure everybody a lot of people on the site know what I'm talking about. :wink: .

And I have also seen some gobblers struttin. Im expecting a good season. I'm really hoping for a bearded hen I have had my eye on for a while. Her beard is about 8 inches long, the biggest I have ever seen on a hen. Dad killed one last year thats beard was 5 inches long.

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2011, 14:26 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Gotcha...yeah turkeys where i hunt move around alot. Last year none of the places i hunt had turkeys...this year all five places are full of turkeys. Should be a good year here too.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2011, 17:44 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Saw a small group of turkeys today, not a beard in the bunch though, all hens. I also shot a groundhog that was causing some problems on the farm today. Maybe that will get rid of them for a while.

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2011, 22:47 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

i need to find me a place to get some groundhogs...good eatin and i want to tan some hides into leather. Need to make a holster for my navy arms revolver. Also i went scoutin for turkeys before dark and seen some bears. A sow and two cubs. Bears gettin thick over here in east tn. This past fall i had twice as many bears as i did deer on the trail cams. Even think one had gotten in my fox sets this year

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 07:02 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

easttntrapper wrote:
i need to find me a place to get some groundhogs...good eatin and i want to tan some hides into leather. Need to make a holster for my navy arms revolver. Also i went scoutin for turkeys before dark and seen some bears. A sow and two cubs. Bears gettin thick over here in east tn. This past fall i had twice as many bears as i did deer on the trail cams. Even think one had gotten in my fox sets this year

I just received a groundhog hide from Illinois and tanned it as leather and it seems a bit thin and too limber for a pistol holster...how do you work yours so that it is workable for a holster? We do not have groundhogs here in east Texas.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 13:01 
i just realized there was 2 pages to this forum. lol also learned how to downsize pictures. lol i shot my 1st bearded hen last year too. i know of a few kudzu valleys with groundhogs but their on the side of the rd. do u think its legal to set a trap in front of their den within 50 yds of the rd.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 13:37 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

It would be legal if its on land you are allowed to trap on. Nice pic of the bearded hen. I really hope I can get one someday.

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 23:40 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

yeah you might be right swamp rat. I never messed with groundhog hides before. I just heard that they had tough hides and wanted to try. I might just have to wait till deer season..lol i tan my hides with that rittels kt10 Solution. I have always done hair on tannin though. I got a recipe around here somewhere that uses lime juice to strip the hair off.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2011, 07:40 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

easttntrapper wrote:
yeah you might be right swamp rat. I never messed with groundhog hides before. I just heard that they had tough hides and wanted to try. I might just have to wait till deer season..lol i tan my hides with that rittels kt10 Solution. I have always done hair on tannin though. I got a recipe around here somewhere that uses lime juice to strip the hair off.

Just pick you up some slacked lime at a feed store....it is cheap and it doesn't take a lot per hide. Do not get any of the lime/water solution in your eyes, that would be bad news! It usually only takes 3-4 days if the weather is mild, to slip the hair on deer hides. Just about the 3rd day (wearing rubber gloves) reach in and tug on the hair, if it comes of very easy, it is usually ready to scrape. I try to stir my hides and solution every day to keep the solution circulating around the entire hide so there will be no missed areas. Once the solution has worked, take the hides out and rinse a couple of times in clear water, scrape hair off, rinse again and then do you work on the leather as it dries.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2011, 12:34 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Swamp Rat wrote:
easttntrapper wrote:

Just pick you up some slacked lime at a feed store....it is cheap and it doesn't take a lot per hide. Do not get any of the lime/water solution in your eyes, that would be bad news! It usually only takes 3-4 days if the weather is mild, to slip the hair on deer hides. Just about the 3rd day (wearing rubber gloves) reach in and tug on the hair, if it comes of very easy, it is usually ready to scrape. I try to stir my hides and solution every day to keep the solution circulating around the entire hide so there will be no missed areas. Once the solution has worked, take the hides out and rinse a couple of times in clear water, scrape hair off, rinse again and then do you work on the leather as it dries.

Thanx! I will try it.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2011, 14:39 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Here are some deer hide "de-hairing" photos:

If the solution has worked well you can just "shove" the hair off with your fingers.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2011, 16:41 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Going bowfishing tonight. Dad just put a few lights on the boat. I hope everything works out.

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2011, 19:44 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

good luck..let us know how it goes. Maybe a few pics..lol

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2011, 20:42 
haha i beat u. lol i went this evening. this makes 5 gar for me this year. ur trip sounds more fun though. i shoot from a 30' bridge. i call it extreme bowfishing. lol i went on a boat once with lights at night way cool. going again with that guy april 2. i got a 12' v-bottom i been trying to figure out how to build a platform & put on lights. i just stand on the bow right now.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2011, 12:58 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Bowfishing didnt go very well. The water was murky from the recent rain and we had problems with the motor. Only got one shot. It was at a gar that was about 2-3 foot long. I missed :oops:. Saw a few beaver and a huge cottonmouth. Now Im school in the library. When I get home Im going to brush out the fur of all my hides to get them ready to sell on Sunday.

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2011, 19:14 
dang thats to bad. the water has been brown & murky for me the whole time too. i wonder if ur allowed to take beaver with a bow. lol u prolly can.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2011, 20:11 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

You can take beaver while bowfishing as long as it is not at night. You cant kill them 30 minutes after sunset to 30 minutes before sunrise. I got all my hides brushed and ready to sell on Sunday. I have also decided to pull my snare line tomorrow.

Oh, This my 100th post!!! :--D

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2011, 21:09 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

good luck sellin your fur.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2011, 17:59 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Pulled the snares today. I ended up with only 1 coyote. I cant complain though, I had an awesome season. :D :--D :D

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2011, 21:32 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

yeah your sig says it all. I would say u outta be good at fleshin them coon and beaver..lol i gonna make some trapless sets tomorrow and put some cams on them to see what kinda pics i can get. Hoping for some fox and cat pics

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2011, 16:24 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

My skinning has definately improved since seasons started. I can skin a coon in just under 5 minutes now. We recently had a cow die and I thought about putting my trail camera on it to see if we have any yotes or other critters around, but i can almost bet all i would get are pictures of a few stray dogs we have running around here and my buddies the buzzards. :D I think i have those things trained now.

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2011, 16:56 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Whistle-Pig wrote:
My skinning has definately improved since seasons started. I can skin a coon in just under 5 minutes now. We recently had a cow die and I thought about putting my trail camera on it to see if we have any yotes or other critters around, but i can almost bet all i would get are pictures of a few stray dogs we have running around here and my buddies the buzzards. :D I think i have those things trained now.

Did someone say "buzzards"? I can't make a bait station down here for the buzzards! If the buzzards don't get it and get it quickly the blow flies get to it! :evil: Whistle-Pig what do you think of the groundhog hide I tanned and put up in the frame and sent to Chieftain....he posted a picture today on another thread.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2011, 17:57 
i asked a game warden today at the hunting store a few questions & his replies were:
u can kill a beaver with a bow & bowfishing arrow. he said that nobody would care lol
u can kill crows from a boat if the engine is off
u can kill coyotes with deer rifles in febuary on wmas

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next