Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 08:11

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2006, 12:48 
In MA, we can't use colony traps. So, we're pretty much forced to use small box traps and catch them alive before we dispatch them. You cannot release them on another property. They must be released at the location you caught them, or dispatched.

So... my question to you:

How do you get the little buggers to come out of the water and go in the little boxes? Bait's not really an option as there are tasty cranberries in the bog, and it's not normal for them to go into a box on land. Do you recommend floats? Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2006, 09:04 
Trapper
Trapper

Hi Lil Bit that sounds like a really tough situation to catch rats in. Do you have to live trap them? Bait may work better than you think if you have nothing but cranberries every day wouldn't an apple look really good? Maybe you could set up crossover trails with double ended live traps. How is being confined in a live trap and then dispatched more humane than being caught in a colony or coni and quickly drowned?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2006, 11:05 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

That's a tough situation. We've got tons of cranberries up here in northern WI also but the 'rats can be managed in an appropriate manner.

I like Mudtracker's suggestion of apples. The 'rats really seem to like chunks of fresh apple. They have visual appeal also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2006, 12:15 
Hmm. Good thoughts. Mud-- It's not more humane, but that's not the point. It makes the squishy anti's and the ignorant feel good. Plus, the traps CANNOT catch more than one rat at a time. Period. If there's more than one rat in your cage when you get there, you have to release BOTH! Stupid stupid laws...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2006, 00:16 
Trapper
Trapper

:shock: I think yall should just stay in west virginny,forget that silly state.Have your hands tied like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2006, 00:42 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

I second Mink's suggestion. Six on one hand/half dozen in the the other. I would vote for Ward and/or Jeff Burton (good ol' WV Nascar boys) before any of them dad-gum Mass-a-chew-setts Kennedy's. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2006, 08:34 
Lol, well, many times I feel that way. But, being the evil person that I am, I see a cause worth fighting for here in MA, and figure it's worth sticking around to at least try. WV has their ducks in a row. In MA, we're still trying to be politically correct while defining what a duck is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2007, 06:34 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

if you waite long enough they will die from disease and wouldn't that be more humane? They wouldn't suffer one bit that way ? I am being sarcastic bad rules lead to humane death not the answer some people have too much time on there hands. It only takes a couple of minutes for them to drownd and it takes weeks for them to suffer and die from disease.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2007, 20:20 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

pepsident tooth paste It will smell different and the white is brite like the indian potato or apple. my dad used it for both muskrat and beaver he says it works great I only used it with limited success.