Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 18 Dec 2017, 17:33

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hi all West Virginians
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2007, 22:56 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

hows it goin?
what all do you all trap and where are you from?? i think that we can learn alot from the ppl around us in the neiboring counties. oo yea im 16 and i trap, grey fox,coyote,beaver,bobcat.muskrat,mink,coon, and of coarse grinners, but not on purpose. just anyhting that likes my lure?bait combo.
your neighbor
Zach

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2007, 00:57 
Trapper
Trapper

belle k9s and kittys and (coon and grinners but i try not to) i also trap jackson and hardy co when i get time

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2007, 18:25 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

I trap bobcat, fisher, fox, beaver, coon, coyote, not to many opossum though been pretty lucky.. no skunk either though i wouldn't mind trapping one. I am in morgantown and trap monongalia and preston county

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2007, 22:26 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

charleston right at kanawha state forest. coyote bobcat, ne fox and coon

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2008, 22:35 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

im trying catch coon mostly for my coon dog but ive caught a lot. treed a fisher last week!!

coon: 1
possum: 1
skunk: 1

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2008, 17:15 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Hey you West Virginia Ridge Runners....my second wife's parents were both from WVA and I've visited there often....as a matter of fact one of my "soon to be son in laws" is from WVA....it seems to be a very rugged state, especially in the central part where my ex's parents were from Summersville and Birch River). What do you fellows do about using bait and the bear population? Are the bear in hibernation during trapping seson or do they mess up your sets? Is it legal or illegal to trap bear? We no longer have bear in this part of Texas where I live. They vanished in the early 1900s and the Parks and Wildlife are doing studies about reintroducing them. I know that we have a large population of feral hogs and they raise havoc with any sort of bait a trapper might use. I was just curious. I also didn't know fishers were in WVA. Live and learn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2008, 22:33 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Wait... Fisher live north of Us and south of us but none in PA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2008, 22:20 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Hello everyone. I live in Pendleton County. Been mostly a coon trapper all my life but got bit by the bobcat bug several years ago and now concentrate on them, but don't have a lot of time to trap like I want to. Going to go after my first fisher this fall also.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2009, 09:26 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Hi folks, I live just west of Romney in Hampshire co. I used to do a little trapping around the farm when I was in high school in Minnesota for farm pests but haven"t done any since. Now that i am retired I have plenty of free time and would like to get back into trapping. I have been doing a lot of reading here on the forum to get as much info as I can for the next season. Bunch of great folks here. One thing I would like to do is talk to some local trappers face to face, but have not had much luck finding any around here. I'm sure they're out there, just have to keep looking. In the mean time I'm learning a lot on here. Going to get some books this summer and do a lot of reading.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2010, 13:48 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

coon coyote and fox

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2010, 18:39 
Trapper
Trapper

im in west virginia i put a bunch of live traps along a creek that runs through the woods ,it runs pretty deep in the woods all i ended up with was a bunch of small coon that i let go , and a boatload of grinners , i figured im gonna go broke if i keep feeding them lol ,so i tossed all my traps in the garage and gave up , i couldnt catch anything at all worth keeping ,i tried every bait and lure on the market and no good,i did find a few yote dens and im gonna set a few snares for them soon , hopefuly i have some luck

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2010, 18:47 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

smoz-don't give up...go to the trap line forum and ask questions. Those guys can really help you. It's a great place and don't be afraid to ask anything. C'mon...give it a shot.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2010, 13:04 
Trapper
Trapper

yes that is true it dosent hurt to ask questions and it sure cant hurt to learn ,maybe ill dig out the traps and try to figure out something new to try ,

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2010, 13:54 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

smoz, I may have missed it in another posting, but what area of WV are you located?

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2010, 18:32 
Trapper
Trapper

im up in the mountains rite in the snow belt near graften

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2014, 21:18 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Hi everybody,I'm in Harrison county.I'm gonna try my luck with traps and snares again this year.First time since the 70's. I'm thinking on trying the local beaver population and maybe some yotes and bobcat.May set a few muskrat traps as well.Pretty much anything I might be able to make a few bucks with.I'm gonna have to get some stretchers made up and pick up a few traps.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2014, 08:46 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Welcome to WAT gopherrabbit. Not many comments on these State threads, try coming out to the Camp Fire or Trap Line threads where there are more discussions. Lots of good information and humor to be shared. It is always good to see an old timer get back into the craft of trapping.