Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 10:25

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: varmit Guns???
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2006, 22:57 
Trapper
Trapper

Hey I am in the market for a new gun. I want it to be mostly for coyotes and other varmits. I was thinking like a 222 or 223. My yote shots could be in excess of 200 yards but not by much. I was also thinking about using it for deer which I dont think I have ever even taken a shot at over 100 yards. Anyway. Our deer here are small and I know both of these will work but I wanted your thoughts on pelt quality of a coyote after shooting it with that kind of round. Thanks for the help and hope you have some good thoughts.
Gh

Have a good time

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2006, 08:13 
Trapper
Trapper

A .223 is a great coyote gun. It's got plenty of power and accuracy for the range you'll be shooting at. If you don't reload, the .223 is easily the cheapest way to go. There's plenty of good ammo for it on the market. Keep your shots to the front and center of the coyote and blowouts will be minimized. You may still blow a big hole on occation, but it's the exception rather than the rule if the shots are placed properly.

I haven't shot a deer in 15 years, but I'm sure a .223 wil get it done. Especially on the smaller deer. If it were me though, I'd opt for something for in a .24 cal for better down range killing power with a bigger bullet for the bigger game size.

Brad

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2006, 12:35 
Be very careful with what caliber rifle you're selecting if you're going to go after deer. Most states have a minimum caliber requirement, and a 223 doesn't usually cut it. If you're looking for a good varmit gun/deer rifle, it's illegal in most states to use a rimfire ammo of .25 or less on deer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2006, 17:11 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

The .223 is an adequate cartridge for deer, but shot placement is the key to using it. Put the shot in the right place and it will put the deer down.

Also, the .223 is a centerfire cartridge, not a rimfire. It is legal for deer here in Wisconsin.

Personally, I would have separate guns for varmints and deer. With coyotes and such I do not want to do much damage, if any, to the pelt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2006, 17:44 
Trapper
Trapper

for yotes what do you think about the new 17 HMR? I know it has a small projectile but I dont know much about the effect on animals at long range. Anyone out there with some advice.
GH

Have a good time

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2006, 18:55 
Trapper
Trapper

The HMR is not adequate for coyotes. Fun as hell to shoot at jackrabbits and prairie dogs, but not an efficient coyote gun.

It will kill a coyote, but you'll have lots of runoffs and your recovery percentage will be very low. It lacks the power needed to put a coyote down that centerfires have.

Brad

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2006, 19:35 
Trapper
Trapper

I think .17 HMR would be fine for foxes or less, but I'd prefer at least .22 WMR for coyotes. For long shots on coyotes (and shorter shots on smaller deer), look into a decent .243 rifle.

P.S. Maine allows .22 WMR or larger for deer. Can't imagine whacking a 200 pound plus whitetail up here with a .22 rifle, magnum or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2006, 19:54 
Personally, I think that two guns are required. One for deer, and one for everything smaller. Yes, you might be able to kill them with a well placed shot, but I think 30-30's are the minimum in my book for deer. That's my opinion, no changing it. For things smaller, I like a 22.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2006, 20:43 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

I know quite a few people that have killed deer with a .243, and it seems to be a decent caliber, but for shooting predators and wanting to save the pelt I would not recommend it... too many blowouts...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2006, 21:07 
Trapper
Trapper

I have found a 223 that I can get for cheap and I have a 270 for deer so if I go with this I will keep both. I was going to sell the 270 to buy the 223 but I am getting it from a friend and it will be cheap. Thanks for all the advice.

GH

Have a good time

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2006, 21:26 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Sounds like a good deal...

I'm not too familiar with the .223... if you are hunting for the pelts, I suggest you search for a load that will provide for the least pelt damage, you do not want a huge exit hole. You want no exit hole if possible...

As far as the .270, I know lots of guys that hunt deer with a .270, I've used one with success and it is a good gun. As for me, I'll stick with my 30-.06. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Oct 2006, 19:39 
Trapper
Trapper

I think I have made up my mind. I am going to test shoot my friends 223 but if I dont like it I am going to get a 22-250 tell me what you think
GH

Have a good time

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Oct 2006, 00:18 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

greenhorn wrote:
I think I have made up my mind. I am going to test shoot my friends 223 but if I dont like it I am going to get a 22-250 tell me what you think
GH

I've heard good things about the .22-250 but I don't know much about it myself. I am sure there are people here that can fill you in on that one...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Oct 2006, 13:05 
Trapper
Trapper

I'm not sure what expectations you have of the 223, but if you don't like it, you may not like the 250 either. I haven't shot a lot of either gun, but I don't think I could tell the difference if I had the chance to shoot both as long as they were the same make and model.

The 22-250 shoots the same bullets but has a bigger case capacity giving it more speed power and range. A little more expensive to buy the factory for, but just as accurate IMO.

Both are great choices for a coyote gun. If there is something you don't like about the .223 it might have something to do with the type gun it is rather than the caliber. Some people don't like the Savage actions, some people don't like the heavy trigger pull of the Ruger Mark II's, some want a lighter gun rather than the heavy longer barrel style that all gun manufacturers make as option. To some the drop plate in the bottom matters, to some it doesn't.

That's just a few things to take into consideration when test shooting the 223.

Brad

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2007, 16:53 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

here in minnesota the smallest caliber you can shoot at a deer is a .243 in rifle you may want to check the rules before you do this . I have a .243 and have yet to use it for hunting of any kind. I did buy it thinking I would shoot coyote with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2007, 17:20 
Trapper
Trapper

the .204 ruger is a great coyote gun
a little expensive though

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2007, 13:16 
Trapper
Trapper

the 22-250 is one of the best all around guns ever made i have taken ever thing from grund hogs to deer with it it is alsome at any distance jsut take good shots word to wise dont shoot balstic tips on the yottes bad plan the 22250 wicked gun and for the guys with tthe runn offs with the 17hmr learn to shoot and that wont happen my gun of choice for predtor hunting is an ithica 12 gage 222 over and under dead cyotte buck shot in one and rem core lock in the other u cant go worng with it short rang or long

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2007, 18:02 
Trapper
Trapper

220 swift accurate up to 300 yd eazy with good scope

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2007, 10:18 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

im also looking for a new rifle for shooting fox and coyotes. its probably between a .22wmr and a .22-250 anybody got any suggest on which will cause less damage to the pelts the longest shot ill take is only around 125 to 150 yards

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2007, 15:39 
Trapper
Trapper

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2007, 15:48 
Trapper
Trapper

I love my .257 it's killed yotes, deer, and an elk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2007, 17:48 
Trapper
Trapper

I hunt predators with about four or five diff. cal. The one that does it for me is the 223 or 22-250, there is just not much difference in the two. The 250 is just a Lil Bit faster, but I don't think a coyote could really tell the diff. Do yourself a favor and stay away from the .17 rimfire. Just my 2 cents worth. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2007, 20:58 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

I've been reading that a number of fellows like the 40 gr. V-Max in thier .223's because it rarely exits, no big holes to sew. A lot hunters in NC us .22-250's because they can us them on deer. No bore restrictions. All the reg's say is no rimfires. If the rifle will handle the heavier bullsts, sixty to seventy grains, I would use them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2007, 18:20 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

.204 will do everything that the above will do! Savage Model 12 with Accu-trigger & good optics. You won't be sorry. 0 to 300 yards hold dead on & it is yours for the taking. Deer don't seem to mind them much either, they just fall down! Later J.J.