Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 16:21

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: coons in attic (advice)
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2010, 11:37 
Trapper
Trapper

Got a customer thats got raccoons in her attic. They patched the roof where she was coming in, but it has ripped off soffit vent to get back in. She saw mama coon going in. Thinks there is pups up there also. Question? Should I try to capture mama coon outside first and then go in attic to try to find and catch pups or set my traps in attic and try for total catch. Take into consideration, it is hot as blazes here, and this is a two story home. Can't stay in attic long. I'll probably be miserable in the attic, and don't want encounter with upset mama coon. I've caught raccoons in attic before, It's just not as easy as outside the house.
Thanks,
TJ

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2010, 20:26 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I would most def catch mama first either in the attic or outside it doesnt matter if the pups are in there and are small enough snare pole them then find a place to release all of them pups first then mama . when they fisx the soffett some supre heavy utility cloth then replacing the standard soffet should solve it.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2010, 19:17 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks Micah,
I went today. Set one cage trap on balcony where the soffit vent was torn off. Set one trap on one side of the attic. Attic is seperated and there was no sign of anything up there but about 130 degree heat. Looked up in the other attic access and that's where they are partying.
Coon skat everywhere, insulation torn up, exterior wall tar paper ripped off, lots of evidence.
Put a cage trap there. No sign of a nest or pups. Maybe I'll be lucky and catch her on the balcony.
I'll know tomorrow.
TJ

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2010, 00:14 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

best of luck and remeber if you dont take her 20 miles or so away for the release she will just go back to the house

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2010, 19:37 
Trapper
Trapper

Picture of MaImagema coon

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2010, 20:47 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Way to go....reckon the little'uns will be coming out soon to look for Momma?

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2010, 06:28 
Congratulations.... Good Job!!! :P :P

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2010, 18:29 
Trapper
Trapper

My first trip in the attic, I saw 2 pups over in a corner but they were in the eve portion of where the rafters join the wall plate. I layed on my stomach in the insulation with my catch pole and wrestled with them until they ducked under the wall plate and it is humanly impossible to reach them.
They were about the size of a full grown Yorkie dog. Probably big enough to go out on their own.
I lost about 5 pounds that afternoon, from sweat alone.
I set my cage trap as close to them as I could, and have been up there for 2 more afternoons to check for any sign, but nothing.
Homeowner hasn't heard another sound coming from up there so I believe they left out when mama coon didn't come back.
Checked today also and no sign. Left the trap, and will give it a couple more days. I also replaced the soffit vent this afternoon, If I smell something bad next time up, I'll know they didn't get out, but that will be another adventure.
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2010, 08:15 
PROFESSIONAL (MOUSE) TRAPPER

This post is a little late but wanted to remind you of the dangers of raccoon infested attics. Their scat and associated dust from it can cause serious human health problems. Be sure to wear tyveck or similar suits and good dust masks when working in areas like that.

2013/14
red fox 3
gray fox 2
coon 3
muskrat 25
mink 1

Hunting
130 lb 4pt buck - Mathews Z7, Grim Reaper 100 gr. at 6 yards.
17 lb tom turkey - Remington Express 20 ga #4 at 10 yards.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2010, 18:00 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nelson wrote:
This post is a little late but wanted to remind you of the dangers of raccoon infested attics. Their scat and associated dust from it can cause serious human health problems. Be sure to wear tyveck or similar suits and good dust masks when working in areas like that.

Just something to add, which you probably already know, but if your going to remove the scat, wear the suits like Nelson is talking about, but also wet the scat down before you start removing it. Just something else for self protection

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2010, 18:10 
Trapper
Trapper

I didn't wear the tyvek coveralls.. Don't own them, but will be getting some before working in an attic again. I did wear a dust mask though. I am very aware of the envirionment that raccoons can create in closed spaces. I also tell my customers of the dangers of the bacteria that coon skat has been known to harbor.
Good advice and I do appreciate it.
Read today in our local paper a man was bitten on the foot by a grey fox while he was standing in his driveway.
This in a residential neighborhood. He drove himself to the hospital and will be receiving rabies treatments. Couldn't locate the fox after the attack. Poor fellow gonna get a few shots to the stomach. :cry:

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2010, 20:30 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I'm not sure they do the shots in the stomache anymore, Dad got nipped by a coon up at his work about 8-9 years ago, and they gave him shots in the actual bite

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2010, 16:19 

They do the shots in the arm now but I understand that they are still painfull. :--o

2013/14
red fox 3
gray fox 2
coon 3
muskrat 25
mink 1

Hunting
130 lb 4pt buck - Mathews Z7, Grim Reaper 100 gr. at 6 yards.
17 lb tom turkey - Remington Express 20 ga #4 at 10 yards.