Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 05:17

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Turtle Traps
PostPosted: 28 May 2009, 20:58 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Want to start turtle trapping. Anybody got any turtle traps for sale, or advice on where I can buy some. Or just how in the world to do it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 May 2009, 21:34 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Gallon plastic milk jug. Tie a wire leader to the handle. Use a swivel, turtles will roll and can break wire leaders or straighten the hook if you don't use a swivel. I use a size 5/0 Mustad hook baited with deer scraps. I use the tendons that I cut off the meat because they stay on the hook better. I also use fish tails . If you are trapping a river or lake you need to tie the jug off to the bank. In a pond the turtle will swim to the bank when caught.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 May 2009, 09:21 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

doc9013 wrote:
Gallon plastic milk jug. Tie a wire leader to the handle. Use a swivel, turtles will roll and can break wire leaders or straighten the hook if you don't use a swivel. I use a size 5/0 Mustad hook baited with deer scraps. I use the tendons that I cut off the meat because they stay on the hook better. I also use fish tails . If you are trapping a river or lake you need to tie the jug off to the bank. In a pond the turtle will swim to the bank when caught.

:x Danged lazy West Virginia turtle trapper! :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 May 2009, 19:33 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Here's how we use to set hoop nets for turtles. Check your state regs. I prefer double throated hoop nets, 2ft-4ft wide. They run anywhere from $50-$100+. Catfish connection out of Pana Illinois has some but I cant find my catalog. Best way we found to bait'em was to take a dressed carp carcass 3lb+ or several smaller one's. Put them in the back and puncture the air bladders so they'll sink, more scent in the water that way. We stake the lead lines out with wood poles 5-8ft long. Leave about 3-5 inch's or so of the net sticking up out of the water so the turtles can get some air or they'll drown and spoil. The back line we cut and open up and use a 5/0+ snap swivel, steel or brass to close it up. You can just unclip the snap and open the back of the net up to sort the turtle's. For setline's 2 liter bottles work great. Ive been experimenting with Mott's apple juice square jugs with great results. Mouths are big enough to store the whole line and rig, less tangles. We use 2/0-4/0 or so hook, stainless steel. Whole shad head works greast for bait. Any legal fish head will work too. We put a swivel on them about halfway or so down the line. 4ft-6ft or so of line is usually plenty. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more help.

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 May 2009, 21:02 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

thanks for the tips :D hopefully i get to get started in a couple of weeks.