Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 22:46

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2009, 13:05 
OK guys I'll bite. Is there such a thing as a gray phase grouse? Here among others we have ruffed grouse with a mostly brown and black tail. Then we have spruce grouse which are commonly called blue or gray grouse. They have a mainly blueish gray and black tail. Do you have one breed of grouse that comes in two colors? Mostly we just call them chickens and kill them and eat them. Since this is the trading post I will put up two strips of dried prairie rattler skin 6" long by 3"down to 2" wide. Make me a trade offer if you like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2009, 16:45 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

the gray phase is just the other color phase of the ruffed grouse. Its more common in the northern areas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2009, 17:31 
Northern area of where.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2009, 19:52 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

northern us and canada

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2009, 23:53 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Mtwildman the grey and brown phaze are just phazes of othe ruffed grouse, we have spruce hens here too. Were I grew up we had blue grouse but they were up in the mountains and were 3 or 4 times the size of a ruffy and we also have tarmigan and sharptail prairy chichens. The ruffys are the best eating bird on the planet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2009, 00:55 
fuzz269 wrote:
Mtwildman the grey and brown phaze are just phazes of othe ruffed grouse, we have spruce hens here too. Were I grew up we had blue grouse but they were up in the mountains and were 3 or 4 times the size of a ruffy and we also have tarmigan and sharptail prairy chichens. The ruffys are the best eating bird on the planet.

I guess we are just special guys because our ruffs are brown only.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2009, 20:13 
Since you guys are so "STUBBORN" I decided to do more research to see if I had missed something. After lots more reading especially by our northern neighbors my head was whirling faster than a grouses wings doing the mating call. Oh my God is there FACTS out there and no two of them in agreement. So I have concluded that my old way was best. All grouse taste good. Grouse come in different colors and sizes. Thus whenever I see a grouse in season I will shoot that dang "CHICKEN" and bring it home and eat it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2009, 20:30 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

That is as scientific as it gets around here, I just try alittle harder for ruffys as they are my favourite lol, I think the phase's have more to do with thier area just like deer are difrent shades from gray to almost red depending on were they need to blend in, but I an not so scientific grouse=shotgun=birddog=teriyaki chicken for dinner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2009, 07:23 
Trapper
Trapper

Fuzz,
I think that might be part of it, as well as I think diet might play a role as well? Our spruce grouse are really dark, and the ruffled grouse are more brown in areas heavy to beechnuts or other good forage, and tend to be more gray in the conifer type stands with aspen buds as well. I have noticed this, but I have no scientific backing, so I could be full of you know what! What has anybody else noticed. Also, I like your idea wildman, I try to target all grouse no matter what the colorations, unless they are a spruce grouse, and then I have to go push them out of the road with a stick so I don't run over them! :lol:

Otter - 1
Coon - 6
Fisher - 7
Ermine - 3
Mink - 0
Marten - 17
Fox - 0
Coyote - 5
Skunk - 0

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2009, 09:58 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Ya I don't shoot many spruce hens ether I save them for the kids or when I am training a new retriever other than that I think they have enough problems just surviving trafic on the back roads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2009, 10:16 
Trapper
Trapper

Fuzz,
They are protected here, and if you shoot one it can come with some stiff penalties. We seem to have alot of the same types of animals as you, they are just all protected!

Otter - 1
Coon - 6
Fisher - 7
Ermine - 3
Mink - 0
Marten - 17
Fox - 0
Coyote - 5
Skunk - 0

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2009, 10:26 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Ya here we are aloud 10 grouse a day any mix of spruce,ruffy,tarmigan,blue,and sharp tails are only 3 per day. I wounder why they are protected they seem to flurish hear and everything kills them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2009, 10:46 
Trapper
Trapper

We are allowed four a day, but are only allowed to shoot ruffled grouse. Do you have any pictures of the ptarmigan? I have always thought them a really neat bird, but that is something we don't have.

Otter - 1
Coon - 6
Fisher - 7
Ermine - 3
Mink - 0
Marten - 17
Fox - 0
Coyote - 5
Skunk - 0

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2009, 10:50 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Fuzz I was at a Nat'l Trappers Convention once and the speaker was an Indiana Game Officer and said that they had an abundance of perch that needed to be controlled, so they put a limit on the perch catches....guess what happened.....the populaion of perch was reduced because sportsmen like to make most everything into a challenge. If we have a county that has no limit on squirrels, few hunters care to hunt them, but in the counties that have daily limits....it is almost like deer season. That might be the deal on your birds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2009, 18:53 
TrapperChris wrote:
Fuzz,
I think that might be part of it, as well as I think diet might play a role as well? Our spruce grouse are really dark, and the ruffled grouse are more brown in areas heavy to beechnuts or other good forage, and tend to be more gray in the conifer type stands with aspen buds as well. I have noticed this, but I have no scientific backing, so I could be full of you know what! What has anybody else noticed. Also, I like your idea wildman, I try to target all grouse no matter what the colorations, unless they are a spruce grouse, and then I have to go push them out of the road with a stick so I don't run over them! :lol:

Yes Chris I have found all types of chickens to be somewhat less than a challenge to kill at times excluding of course the prairie chicken (Sage Grouse)