Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 23:36

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2008, 11:47 
Trapper
Trapper

hi im looking for some #1.5 coilspring traps..just starting to trap and need some cheaper traps but good and trustworthy.. i think these kind of traps would work for what im goin to trap..(coon, beaver, fox, muskrat) thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2008, 20:58 
THE IDAHO TRAPPIN' MACHINE

pm me.....
lone

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2008, 23:54 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

That's a pretty big range for the stuff you're going to be trapping. A 1.5 is WAY too small for beaver and pretty big for rats. I use a #1 longspring for rats and absolutly nothing smaller than a #2 on beaver, a #3 is preferred. A 1.5 coilspring will bring you in some coon and fox though. If you really want to get out cheap I'd get some #11's (which are double longspring version of the #1) for rats and coons and grab some #2's for everything else. The beaver I have here aren't really too big so I can get by with a #2, if you've got some big uns I'd get some #11's, some #2' (in case you get a yote in your fox trap which does happen), and a few #3's. You might also conider snaring.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God. -Matthew 5:9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2008, 13:51 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Yep. Preach just told you everything you need to know. Personally, I like the number 2s. Got a little extra holding power. Some people even use them on yotes.

yote: 1
coon: 17
skunk: 4
cottontail: 1
grinners: quit countin

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2008, 12:55 
Trapper
Trapper

alright..i'll take a look..thanks..and do you have anything to say about duke traps? are they bad?? or why doesnt anybody like them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2008, 15:21 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

They aren't a bad trap, but I've had some problems with them in the past. I've had some get messed up and others are just fine. I prefer Victors and Bridgers. Victors will be cheaper than Bridgers, but I've never had a Bridger get bent yet, or a Victor for that matter but all my Victors are water traps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2008, 15:58 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Like Preacher was saying, Dukes aren't bad traps, it's just that some people have had problems with catches bending them in some cases, but yet alot have not. I have both Dukes and Bridgers. To me Bridgers seem like they are really well built and I've never had a problem with one bending. Last season I had a Duke 1cs that ended up pretty badly bent up because I caught a possum in it and it ended up getting the chain of the trap around a small tree that I didn't think the chain would have reached but it did and sometime during the night the possum got the end of the chain around the tree with the frame of the trap up against the tree and managed to torque it just enough to bend up the frame and one jaw of the trap. It took a rubber hammer and a whole lot of hammering on the trap to get it back right again. Since then I have not had any other problems with that trap or any Duke. It was just that one time. Picking a brand of trap or deciding which brand is best is kind of an opinion thing. It is just like with vehicles when somone says they are a Ford man, or a Chevy man, or a Dodge man, it is pretty well just a matter of opinion. In my opinion for the money Dukes are decent traps, I just usually try to buy Bridgers if I can afford to. But yet alot of people love Dukes and they are their favorite brand. Once again it's all just a matter of opinion.

Coon: 5
Grinner: 4

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2008, 18:00 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

I need to ask a question about a brand of traps---Sleepy Creek---they are made in West Virginia USA and I have had no problems with the few I am using.....why doesn't anyone ever mention them in these discussions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2008, 19:52 

one word swamp....expensive.....dukes are good traps the only thing that i dont like about them is the sharp jew edges they have a tendancy to be a little less fur freadly......I have cought big yotes, and cats without a problem.....and even a few badgers and they are hell on equipment.....but dukes will hold them just fine.
just my two cents on dukes.
LONE
ps with that being said i am switchin to bridgers cause the square jaws give me a little bigger inside jaw measurement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2008, 13:46 
Trapper
Trapper

well whats really the difference between #1 and 1.5 ?? the jaw spreads are only about a half inch difference..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2008, 13:50 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

The springs are also more powerful on them. It's hard to believe but that 1/2" makes a big difference between a pad catch or a high leg catch when you're talking about a small critter like between a muskrat and coon.

Oh and by the way Swamp, I'd use Sleepy Creeks if Lone carried them. I really like the no wabble pan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2008, 19:38 

looks like I need to find a supplier....lol
LONE

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2008, 21:52 
Trapper
Trapper

well if the 1.5's catch higher on the leg, wouldnt that be better?? because there would be less for a coon to try and chew off..right??

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2008, 22:12 

coons have a tendancy to chew there feet under the jaw.....so if you go with a 1.5 it would be a good idea to have them laminated....
just my thoughts...
lone

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2008, 22:21 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

Nope jgina. It may seem that is logical, and when I first picked up trapping I thought that was the case too. However, every time I've caught a coon high on the leg it was broken when I got to it. That means one of two things. One it puts a hole in the pelt. Two as LONE said they chew below the jaws (because it goes numb) and it is really easy for them to pull out after that. Pad catches are alot better because the pad keeps the foot from going numb a little bit, and you owe it to the animal to keep it's hide in the best shape possible to get the highest dollar. Smaller jaws also mean less room for them to be able to knaw. The #11's really don't give them too much room to knaw on their feet, so they can't chew too well if at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2008, 22:58 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

preach were the broken bone coons caught in land or water sets? were the chains fouled with grass or other debris, The reason I ask is that I have caught several coon in yote sets with traps larger ( 1.75 #2s ) that were fine, I've also caught several in 1.5s with very few injured. Coons will chew but in almost 26 years trapping I've only had 2 that I can honestly say chewed thier foot off, I believe most leg damage comes from twisting this is why I asked about the fouled chain. I totally agree that we owe it to the critters that we keep them from doing any damage to them selves if we can, the best trap mods to do this in my opinion is to add extra swivels to the chain as well adding a secondary jaw under the original ( on larger traps ) to make the space small enough that a coon cant chew!