PostPosted: 30 Mar 2008, 21:12 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

i have a crow, 2 or 3 coons, and a possum or two, Any interest

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2008, 07:32 
Trapper
Trapper

Trapperboy, certainly interested. PM your information to me and we will get settled. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2008, 13:14 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I had a couple things that I just wanted to go ahead and put out here on the forum rather than keeping it to PM

my understanding is that you want raw, untreated skulls so your students can watch the beetles do their thing, so...I've never shipped a meaty bloody...anything, so how would you prefer we ship em to you? wrap them in saran and a a few bags and send them UPS or is there some kind of bio-hazard shipping way you're supposed to go about it? They will of course probably be safe, but if you get in trouble "it was acting pretty normal in the trap, I'm assuming it doesnt have rabies or parvo" probably wouldnt go over that well ha-ha

Also I dont know if you do already do or even could and I cant make you do anything, but it would be nice if you could tell the students briefly a little about how trappers donated the skulls for free cause we are plain old O-K guys and gals and about how trapping benefits wildlife and that kind of thing. I dont know if you can, but that kind of good PR helps us out a lot, mostly when you hear trapping its always something bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2008, 14:06 
Trapper
Trapper

Ryebear, I appreciate your interest in helping the cause. I am not the teacher to these courses just the tech who does the dirty work:) However, there is trapping incorporated into courses. I have expressed willingness to help student trap. Many of the students come from hunting/fishing/trapping background. I agree with you, any teaching about trapping cant hurt, its a dying lifestyle. Also, each skull is lables with the name of the sender and where it came from, date, and how "killed" So the trappers would be represented well.

As for shipping critters, a flat rate box from the post office is by far the best for the money. You can fit alot in a $8.95 box. I wrap skulls in a plactic bag then cover them in packing tape. Fill the box with news paper to stop any leaks. They arrive a little smelly, but that just makes it more memorable for the students;) As far as diseases, MOST stuff we deal with dies when frozen. Rabies will die within 10 minutes of the animals death.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2008, 16:05 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

Most of the stuff I'll have for you will already be clean until all the hunting seasons open back up. It'll be what I find in the backyard or mine and my uncles house.

Are you interested in any other bones or just skulls? If you want other stuff I can make sure to have a look see in the woods while I hunt. I'm always finding turtle shells, leg bones, and the sort out there.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God. -Matthew 5:9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2008, 16:49 
Trapper
Trapper

Preacher, We would like just skulls for now. The idea is to give students the experience cleaning skulls ans learning the muscles and bones of the skull. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2008, 20:37 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

wait, do you want bone skulls or meaty fleshy skulls?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2008, 20:43 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

tjsomerv wrote:
Preacher, We would like just skulls for now. The idea is to give students the experience cleaning skulls ans learning the muscles and bones of the skull. Thanks

So you're not wanting cleaned skulls then?

Oh and by the way, from the sounds of it this is for a major similar to mine. My major is Wildlife and Fisheries. Is that the kind of things these are going to?

Also, you may want to put an ad about skulls at these forums as well. It's a waterfowl hunting website, but there is a forum for every type of hunting. I'd say some of these people have some stuff lying around. Plus there is a taxidermy forum where some people could possibly donate some taxidermified animals.

www.duckhuntingchat.com/forums

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2008, 22:28 
Trapper
Trapper

I guess we are not wanting cleaned skulls unless we dont have the species yet, but raw skulls with meat still on is best. The whole point is to have students lern the muscles, see how the work, clean the meat off and stick it in bugs for a finished product.

Preacher, where do you attend school?I graduated with a wildlife degree from NY

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2008, 00:24 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

I'm in a community college right now, but I'm transferring to The University of Tennessee after next year.

Do you need any clean muskrat skulls? I would reccommend doing what Swamp Rat said and putting up a list of your haves and have nots. I shot a grackle today, if the cats didn't get it I'll freeze it for you. The only unclean stuff I can get you now is birds. All the other stuff is decomposed. I'll have you swamped with stuff when the hunting seasons open up. I may also get some ground hogs and the stuff that's open year round if I get anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2008, 00:33 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Time for an off-the-wall question... How about fish heads? :D :shock: :shock: :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2008, 07:11 
Trapper
Trapper

Trapperkid, I have tried a fish head before with the bugs and they dont turn out well! Too many stinkin bones. Thak you for the offer anyways.

As for a list, I will put up what we currently have enough of BUT I would not turn away more of these critters!!!! We need as many RAW skulls as we can get.
-Red Fox
-Beaver
-Skunk
-Opposum
-Mink
-Muskrat
This is literally what we have enough of....we have more species to be cleaned but not alot of even more than one. Thanks for all the interest guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2008, 18:15 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

tjsomerv, I have been experimenting with fish heads for several years for my daughter's skull collection. You are right, they are a pain! I have, however, had a few turn out pretty decent. I don't have a beetle colony,I have various wire cages I keep outdoors and let nature take it's course.

You have to keep very close watch on them when cleaning them this way. Variables such as humidity and temperature can destroy them in a short time. The bones have to be glued back together when they are clean and whitened.

I just put several trout heads outside in the cage. If they turn out O.K., do you want me to send you some? I realize your students won't get the experience of cleaning them, but at least you would have a representative sample.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2008, 18:35 
Trapper
Trapper

es, I would be interested in one. It would serve as good reference for doing future heads. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2008, 18:47 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

I'll let you know when ( and IF!!) they are ready. By then I may have some other skulls for you too .

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2008, 20:56 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

so, i shouldn't boil the flesh of?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2008, 21:02 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks Doc, look foward to hearing.

Trapperboy, dont need to do any prep before you send, the students/beetles do EVERYTHING! Thank!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2008, 21:15 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

alright, i was gonna boil my crow

this is a funny question, any interest in a MOUSE SKULl?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2008, 21:33 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

Would you like some gar heads when we start jug fishing? We left one outside last year and it turned out great. No missing bones or anything. Next one we catch I'm going to get just the head mounted and stick a cigar in its mouth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2008, 07:04 
Trapper
Trapper

Trapperboy, YES very interested in Mice of any kind and number. We lack in the vey small mammals. I have trapped ones around here but there are many different species all over the place.

Preacher, a gar head would be very cool. We have a freeze dried one in the collection but its kinda old and grose. A skull would be benificial. Guess Ill have to try fish again!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2008, 16:06 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

We should be getting some gar pretty soon. It's starting to warm up so it's about time for the boat to go to the lake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2008, 20:49 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

is a gar a fish?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2008, 13:38 
Trapper
Trapper

Yes, a gar is a really cool looking fish. Look it up on google or something. Would make a nifty skull.

I got some great looking skulls from Nutz4Trapn today. They will make perfect additions to the collections. Thanks again for your willingness to help out.

The one professor asked if I could get a hold of some lizards. Figured I would ask, anyone get their hands on a lizard or too? Preferably something larger than an anole!! Thanks guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2008, 21:37 
Trapper
Trapper

Like a swift arrow to its mark,,, he delivered! Tom is true to his word. His shipping cost payment arrived today (was mailed Monday). Super nice guy. Thanks & Enjoy Tom!

Nutz

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2008, 22:05 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

Thanks Tom! You have given me a reason to start the jug fishing up. I'll go out sunday or next saturday and see what I can get.