Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 18:37

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Animal Skulls
PostPosted: 22 Mar 2008, 16:01 
Trapper
Trapper

I am interested in obtaining some skulls for my college's collection. I run a colony of dermestid beetles and we could really use some skulls. I WILL pay for shipping and other charges for anyone interested in sending some skulls from their trap line. We can make arrangements on a person by person basis. We are interested in any animal, especially from the western and southern US. Also, small mammals such as mice, moles, etc would be great. Please let me know if you are willing to help out. And if it matters, I have trapped for 3 years and hunted most of my life. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Mar 2008, 16:29 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

I wish you had posted this about a month ago. I had access to several that I could have helped you out with. Not until next season. Will your project still be going then? We have an EXPERT GOPHER TRAPPER somewhere on this site and he should be able to help you in that area! What college are you attending?

Post subject: Re: Animal Skulls
PostPosted: 22 Mar 2008, 16:44 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

tjsomerv wrote:
I am interested in obtaining some skulls for my college's collection. I run a colony of dermestid beetles and we could really use some skulls. I WILL pay for shipping and other charges for anyone interested in sending some skulls from their trap line. We can make arrangements on a person by person basis. We are interested in any animal, especially from the western and southern US. Also, small mammals such as mice, moles, etc would be great. Please let me know if you are willing to help out. And if it matters, I have trapped for 3 years and hunted most of my life. Thanks

Hello, , what college do attend?
my daughter has a skull collection and we have extra skulls of some species. I currently have some mouse skulls but they are not cleaned. Are you looking for raw or cleaned skulls? I have been trying to get some mole skulls but I received a lot of flack from a guy on another site about it so I am in the process of making my own mole traps. If I catch any this spring I will send you some. I live in West Virginia. I can get small mammal skulls such as racoon, opossum, squirrel, etc. if you need those. Let me know . Thanks, Kevan.

P.S.Where are you located?

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Mar 2008, 17:12 
Trapper
Trapper

I live in western New York, near Buffalo. I actually will be using the skulls for 2 coleges, SUNY Cobleskill and the University of Buffalo. I would LOVE mouse skulls and moles, as we lack in most small mammals. ANY skull is helpful, even the common ones. Raw skulls is good, I can have students use the dermestid beetle colony to clean them. Thanks for the quick replies and any help!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Mar 2008, 17:36 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

I'll see if I can run anything down. I'll try to dig up some of the stuff we have burried in the backyard from the season. What about birds? I could get you some crows and starlings, or anything I find dead. Also, does it matter if theres a hole in the skull?

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God. -Matthew 5:9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Mar 2008, 23:09 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

i have tons of old whitetail deer skulls...
any interest in them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2008, 09:41 
Trapper
Trapper

Preacher Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:36 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll see if I can run anything down. I'll try to dig up some of the stuff we have burried in the backyard from the season. What about birds? I could get you some crows and starlings, or anything I find dead. Also, does it matter if theres a hole in the skull?

Birds are good also. I have a collectors permit so any bird or even reptiles and snakes is great. If there is a hole in the skull its alright as long as the whole top of the skull is not smashed. Thanks!

trapperboy13 Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:09 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have tons of old whitetail deer skulls...
any interest in them?

I do have more than enough WTD skulls. We do an aging lab and that is one thing we have plenty of. Thank you for the offer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2008, 21:11 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

I'll try to get a whole mess of junk up and ready for you. The starlings started migrating back down here so I can get a few of them for you. Crows are always here. I'm sure I can pick up some coons and maybe some beaver skulls from my uncle. Just let me know how you'll take care of shipping, and how you want them shipped, and I'll go ahead and get them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2008, 07:29 
Trapper
Trapper

Sent you a PM Preacher

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2008, 08:41 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I have a few fox skulls in the freezer that arent cleaned yet, and I might have a beaver or two around here somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2008, 15:01 
Trapper
Trapper

RYEBEAR, I would be interested if your willing to send them along. Let me know. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2008, 21:34 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

i have one or two ground hogs
i'll have a lot by next fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2008, 21:46 
Trapper
Trapper

I realize most trapping is over for the year, so if I need to wait until fall I can do that. i was hoping some folks had some stuff still laying around or did nuisance work, so maybe I will get some from there. Thanks trapperboy, Ill keep in touch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2008, 13:09 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

If I had known somebody wanted the skulls, I had some fox and coon skulls. Ill probably have some more next season.

yote: 1
coon: 17
skunk: 4
cottontail: 1
grinners: quit countin

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2008, 13:22 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

sure you can have whatever I got. you were talking about your bugs, so I'm guessing you want them uncleaned?

Also, I have cleaned some skulls before with water, but my understanding is that the bugs work a lot better cause the teeth dont fall out. Maybe we could arrange a trade? I can send you some skulls and you can send me some bugs to get me started?

Maybe you could just tell me how to identify and find those bugs and I can get em. Can you just keep them in a coffee can or something and toss some dog food in there to keep em going?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2008, 20:28 
Trapper
Trapper

Yeah, I realize Im a little late in the season! Story of my life:) Ryebear, Ill send you a PM about the bugs....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2008, 10:08 
Trapper
Trapper

I have as many as (4) raw - wild marten skulls in the freezer. If you are interested in any or all, let me know. They are yours just for shipping costs (which I would find out after knowing how many). Cheers - Randy

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2008, 10:21 
Trapper
Trapper

Nutz4trapn, I would LOVE those, we dont have marten in the collection yet! They are not easy to come by around here. I will PM you with my shipping info and send a check right away. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2008, 11:20 
Trapper
Trapper

Well, it would be an honor to ship you the first marten skulls to your collection. I sent you a reply. Feel free to check out my marten posts. They hold some great marten pics. Best wishes - Randy

Last edited by Nutz4TrapN on 29 Mar 2008, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2008, 20:12 
Trapper
Trapper

I saw yor photos, very nice work! Would you have any of the cats or weasle heads left? If not maybe next year we can trade a few!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2008, 22:38 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

tj, did you ever think of taking up trapping yourself to add skulls to the collection? You can be proud of what you catch and make a little extra spending money to boot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2008, 08:43 
Trapper
Trapper

Preacher, I took up trapping 2 years ago. Got some red fox, opossum, coons this year. Only set for a few days. I am proud to be a trapper! However, I only get a few myself and they are the common species around here. Thats why Im asking, for other species for the collection:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2008, 09:08 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

TJ-now that you have a pretty good collection and are having more species being sent to you, how about listing the skulls you have? That way, should we run across (literally in some cases) something you may need, we can PM you . This sounds like a project that stirs a lot of interest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2008, 11:33 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

By the way what parts of the skull do you want. Do you want the lower jaws, because as I'm sure you know they come off. Also, do you want us to glue the teeth in or the jaws on so they don't get all jumbled up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2008, 16:52 
Trapper
Trapper

Swamp Rat, I was thinking about doing that but needed a little motivation! As I explained earlier, these skulls go to 2 different colleges. We allow the students to clean the skulls using the dermestid beetles. Therefor, ANY skull is valuable. However, seeing how there are 2 school I basically need to find at least 2 of everything hahaha. University of Buffalo gave me the funding to enhance their collection, thats where the shipping money comes from. I could easily run several hundred skulls through the colony each year for both school. Even the "easy" animals are good becaue if a student screws up, no biggie I hand them another skull. So to kinda answer your question, I need everything haha! I guess I want to stress southern and western species because we have basically none. I even need mice, shrews, moles, squirrels to add to the collections.

Preacher, are you talking of sending skulls already cleaned? Otherwise you dont need to glue anything together. We like the bottom jaws to be movable. Thanks for all the interest!