Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 14:45

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Buffalo wings
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2009, 12:27 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

The following recipe was plaigerized from the internet for you wing eater's benefit! :D I have used this recipe many times for hot wings and think it is probably the best formula that I have found. I sometimes grill the wings, sometimes fry, any cooking method works. I have been known to use turkey breast chunks for "boneless buffalo turkey wings". Enjoy!

Jake's Famous Buffalo Wing Recipe
Another Richter Scale(tm) column by Jake Richter
Written sometime in 1988

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here in the U.S.A., we have some occasional masochistic tendencies, which in my case tend to run in the direction of spicy food. The most pleasant way I have found to burn my mouth off has been via the consumption of a delicacy known as "Buffalo Wings". These are not, as a layman, might assume, the wings of a Buffalo, but instead chicken wings doused in Buffalo Wing sauce, which in turn, originated from Buffalo, New York. They apparently had to do something to stay warm on those cold winter nights.

The sauce can range anywhere from mild to atomic in "taste", and is wonderful for clearing out those sinuses.

I for years tried to create my own Buffalo wing sauce, but without success, until one cold night, I stumbled over the recipe in my experimentations:

Start with a large saucepan.
Melt some butter in the saucepan (about 1 tablespoon)
Add:
24 oz (two large bottles) of Lousiana "Red Hot" sauce
1 small bottle of Tobasco
A pinch of garlic powder
A dash or Worcestershire sauce
A dash of soy sauce
A tablespoon (or more) of ketchup
Simmer this concoction for about 15-30 minutes (You want to eliminate as much of the water as possible), and then thicken with a bit of corn starch or tapioca starch. Make sure to dissolve the starch in cold water first, and then add the starch/water mixture, and stir. If you don't use the small amount of cold water first, the starch will clump in the sauce. The starch is meant to thicken the sauce.
By the way, keep the area around the stove well-ventilated, and remove all small birds from the vicinity if you don't want them to perish due to the fumes.
Let the mixture cool.
Applying this brew to wings is also an art form all of in itself. Take about a dozen wings, cut them into their three respective sections and toss out the tips. Fry what you have left in a deep fat fryer until golden brown (about 10 minutes in my Tefal fryer).

Note that you want to have a large watertight container available, into which you will dispense a couple of tablespoons of the hot sauce...

Once you are done frying the wings, dump them in the container with the sauce, seal the container and shake violently in order to evenly distribute the sauce across the wing surfaces. Unseal, pour on plate, and eat.

Some people like to eat Buffalo Wings accompanied by celery stalks and blue cheese dressing because it dampens the pain. These people are wimps.

If you do find this too hot, you can thin the mixture with water and ketchup, and also not cook it so long. If you want it hotter, add white and/or red pepper and cook it longer. Also, the sauce may be enhanced with a variety of other ingredients. For example for a hot/sweet sauce, add maple syrup.

The amount of sauce prepared above should keep about 100 wings happily coated.

Buffalo wing eater's motto: If it don't burn going in and don't burn coming out, it ain't hot enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2009, 15:00 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

a couple years ago i entered a Hot Wing eating contest... i got second but then i had to go work.......... at a different Wing joint. was not a good night at work.

Duck-
Regular goose-

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2009, 11:48 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: I made these on vacation. I had to look the recipe up again as it has been a while since I made them and figured since I had it on the screen I just as well post it here.
On vacation there were 6 families staying under 1 roof, my family and 5 inlaw families. You might know the flu broke out and some of the unfortunate ones were shooting lava out of both ends. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2009, 18:35 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Mohawk wrote:
:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: I made these on vacation. I had to look the recipe up again as it has been a while since I made them and figured since I had it on the screen I just as well post it here.
On vacation there were 6 families staying under 1 roof, my family and 5 inlaw families. You might know the flu broke out and some of the unfortunate ones were shooting lava out of both ends. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Are you sure it was the FLU or your BUFFALO WINGS???? :evil: :oops: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2009, 11:20 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

I make my own Buffalo Sauce for my restaurant... it's a recipe very similar to that one. Yummy stuff.

-Keith

Post subject: Re: Buffalo wings
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2009, 16:06 
THE 'YOTE WHISPERER
THE 'YOTE WHISPERER

Guess what i'm cookin'...... :) :) :) :) :)

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2009, 17:40 
Always eat a "Big bowl" of your favorite ice cream after buffalo wings or other spicey foods. When sitting on the thrown the next morning, you can scream "Come on Ice Cream" and know that relief is on the way :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2010, 22:00 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

:lol: :lol: :lol: If you happen to get caught outdoors, which usually happens during trapping season, you can hunt up a cool wet rock! :--o Works wonders. :lol: :lol:

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2010, 14:36 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

LOL, I cant help but laugh at people eating things that cause pain. We had an engineer at work that loved hot stuff and was bald. He was eating jalapenos stuffed with creamcheese one day. His bald head was glowing red, his eyes were crying and he was sweating like he was running a marathon and wanted me to try them, lol. I told him no pain aint my thing but if he wanted me to he could throw the peppers out and I'd just kick him in the scrotum and save the middle man. He wasnt amused, lol, but everyone else rolled. I enjoy a little heat and make honey BBQ wings/thighs with a little zip and like them dipped in bleu cheese or ranch dressing and on occasion Western dressing. For a sweet twist try a little Western salad dressing in you BBQ/wing mix.

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2010, 16:56 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What is Western salad dressing Backwoodsman? Is that ranch or something that we just don't have here? :?

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2010, 17:55 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Brand name of western but its a sweet French dressing, not the orangish gunk but clear red like Catalina but sweeter. Getting ready to put it on a salad right now. The redder French dressings can be "made into" a western type with the addition of 5 or so tablespoons of honey or 3 tbl of brown sugar to a bottle of Catalina. Had some honey BBQ wings Sat evening with Bleu cheese dressing...AWESOME

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2010, 21:59 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

That sounds great, I am not a big fan of ranch dressing and anything different than that gets my attention. I really like sweet vidalia and poppy seed dressings so the western dressing and I would probably get along great. Now who would have thought back 20 or 30 years ago that wings would be worth anything? Now they are the "in" thing. :lol:

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2010, 09:47 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Mohawk wrote:
Now who would have thought back 20 or 30 years ago that wings would be worth anything? Now they are the "in" thing. :lol:

Generally, if you order "Wings" in a restaurant these days you get drummies also-- i.e. "Drummies and Paddles". Or technically, joints number 1 and 2.

Can you tell I own a restaurant? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2010, 11:08 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

The wings went cheap when I was a kid, kinda like chicken necks, cow tongue, tripe, any organ meat etc. Now alot of that is considered a specialty food and as high as Tbones. Aunt asked me to cook a cow tongue for her, $14, I asked if the price tag was right, lol(I still cooked it). I prefer the first joint of the wing with one bone when we cook(drummies? use to be LJS Peglegs on the kids menu). I found a cheaper alternative to the Wishbone Western dressing. Our Sav-a-Lot grocery store carries it, Sweet n Saucy French. $1.29(?) compared to same size bottle of Western for $3+. Made salald and wings yesterday with the new dressing, excellent(tried a dip of it first before I ruined the meal or something). Bleu cheese is good as a wing dip too if its not the white you dislike of ranch. I get tired of ranch also as thats whats pushed at alot of our local joints for wings. Honey mustard is a good alternative too. Believe it or not creamy Prairie Farms French Onion Dip aint bad either(home made is good too) and its my favorite hot dog dressing.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2010, 10:22 
Trapper
Trapper

http://forums.mathewsinc.com/archery-4/ ... ipe-78706/

Scroll down to the wing receipe posted by PA_MATHEWS_MAN. Absolutely great.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2010, 16:18 
Trapper
Trapper

This post had me wanting to up a batch of wings. A 24 ounce package was $3.79. I'll pass.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2010, 16:48 
Trapper
Trapper

Snowshoe Hunter wrote:
This post had me wanting to up a batch of wings. A 24 ounce package was $3.79. I'll pass.

Exactly why I don't do them very often. I can buy breast for that.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2010, 03:45 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Quote:
i.e. "Drummies and Paddles"

i learned it when i worked at a wing place in highschool was "Wings" and "Dings"

Duck-
Regular goose-