Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 07:44

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: deer on the campfire
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2008, 19:05 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Now that it's FINALLY starting to warm up a little bit, I'll share my favorite summertime recipe, simple but good.

Venison steaks sliced about 1/4 inch thick, run through a tenderizer. Marinate overnight in soy sauce in the fridge. Fire up the campfire. I have a pit about 10 feet long that narrows at one end. A stainless steel grill goes at the small end. When the coals are right, shovel some under the grill.

Cook the steaks for about 10 or 15 minutes each side, depends on how hot the fire is and how well done you like them. Season mine with seasoned salt but you can use whatever spices you like. Have also used Italian dressing as marinade instead of soy sauce.

Baked potatoes in the coals (take about an hour). Feast for a king!!

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2008, 20:09 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

doc that really does sound good. I'll try that on the river next time i camp

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2008, 20:32 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

It's even better later in the summer when you can do sweet corn in the coals along with the potatoes.

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2008, 05:59 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Are you cooking the steaks with the heated smoke or is it just heat? I have not had luck with venison steaks on the grill....they dry up too quickly. But with an Italian mix my son had made up, we had great luck with them on our fire pit at the camp doing it similar to what you speak of. The seasonings my help with keeping them moist. I'll have to give this recipe a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2008, 19:32 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Swamp Rat, I forgot to mention above that I put aluminum foil over the grill. The smoke can't get to the meat, so it cooks mostly by heat. The foil keeps the marinade from dripping off or cooking off too fast. The meat simmers in the marinade.

I never leave the pit when I cook, I stay there and keep a close eye on the meat, taters, corn, etc. Like you say, venison can dry out fast. If you like your meat juicy, don't let it cook too long. My wife likes it WELL done, so I always cook some for her a little longer. It just depends on individual taste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2008, 22:24 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

Doc. If you could send some more campfire recipies my way I'd appreciate it. Me and a buddy are going on a trapping outing in January and we're roughing it. Everything gets cooked on the fire and we sleep under the stars. It's going to be great, I'd just like to eat something else other than spam and vienna sausages.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God. -Matthew 5:9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2008, 22:32 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

If you have access to a Dutch Oven, take it along and anything that can be cooked in a conventional oven can be cooked in the Dutch Oven....just by using a few coals from the camp fire. Anything from roasts to cakes--veggies or meats. Twice as much coal on the lid as on the bottom. Biscuits are a snap and it will beat the heck out of the vienna sausage and crackers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2008, 17:04 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Preacher, swamp rat's dutch oven suggestion is a great one. The cooking gets done while you're doing other things. If you don't have one or would rather cook on the grill, take a good cast iron skillet. You can fry about anything in a cast iron skillet. Take a sack of potatoes and slice them thin and have fried potatoes. We also scramble eggs in the skillet. Pick some morels this spring, cut in half, wash, flour them, freeze them on a cookie sheet, then freeze in ziplocks. Take them on your trip and mix in with the scrambled eggs. Yummy.

Don't forget bacon. you can't beat bacon fried in a cast iron skillet. The animals might try to join you for breakfast!! I like my potatoes fried in bacon grease too. I like making scrambled egg omelets. I mix in mushrooms, ham, bacon, cheese, etc.

As you have probably guessed, I really don't follow a "recipe" when I cook. I like to keep it simple. Most recipes have way too many ingredients and take way too long. I have a lot of recipes but never follow them to the letter. I omit what I don't like and add what I do.

I'm getting long-winded so I'll just say this, a good dutch oven or cast iron skillet, some meat, potatoes, bacon, eggs, a few spices that you like, keep it simple, it won't be a big hassle but it will be better than beenie-weenies!.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2008, 20:52 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Here's another one I just thought of , Preacher. Fry an egg in a cast iron skillet and bacon grease, yolk broken. toast some bread over the coals, put a slice of cheese on the bread, slap the egg on the cheese, salt and pepper, egg sandwich!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2008, 22:22 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

My son helping with some venison steaks on our campfire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 23:42 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

You can wrap your deer steaks for the grill with bacon too and it'll help keep'em moist.

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada

Post subject: Re: deer on the campfire
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2011, 17:15 
Trapper
Trapper

I like mine cut about 3/4 inch thick. I cook directly over coals for about 3 to 4 minutes per side depending on the heat.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2011, 07:34 

MMMMMM! My mouth is watering now, I think I'll have deer steak and egg's for breakfast. :D

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2011, 16:54 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Sounds yummy! Rarely get to eat venison here and I love it.

Preacher- those campovens are a good addition, or a deep sided fry pan.

Spaghetti bog- mince either fresh shot or taken with you, chopped onion, tin tomatoes/tomato paste, salt and pepper. Add whatever you like I stick some chopped vegies in it sometimes. Put a few coals under/over it (less than you think) and leave it an hour. Pasta can be cooked seperate or in the same pot. Can also half cook the pasta first, drain water and add the mince/sauce and cook.

Thesse packet sauces are good in your kit - Image

Add some chopped meat, chopped vegies (onion,potato, pumpkin whatever you have with you) I think this one wanted a tin of tomatoes or tomato paste, and water in the campoven and walk away. Cant overcook it and nice with a bit of bread/toast too in the morning. Takes about 10 minute tops to prepare and a good feed