Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 18:37

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Venison Neck Sloppy Joes
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2008, 09:06 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

I take the neck portion of the deer and place it in a slow cooker and add all the spices (each person has their own choices in this area), I then cook it until the meat falls off the bone, I remove the bones and tendons. Once the meat is cool enough to handle I take some kitchen shears and cut the meat up into very small pieces and mix b-b-q sauce or Sloppy Joe sauce. Warm it up and serve on buns or eat as a main dish meat with regular side dishes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2008, 14:03 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

Hot dang Swamp Rat, sounds great. Any chance you could post some of the stuff you would make in a camp out in the back country when you're roughing it?

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God. -Matthew 5:9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2008, 08:55 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Preacher, you'd be bored with my "wilderness" recipes....mostly just food stuff I have on hand in my ice chests. Sometimes we kill a pineywoods rooter (feral hog) and will grill over the campfire coals or fry some of it...maybe a little Dutch Oven dish or two. Don't eat much of the survival dishes. Have had coon, squirrels and rabbits. I am seriously considering trying the bobcat steaks....they do have a pretty meat. I know of another person who has eaten it and says it is good. One fellow told me this year tha he'd cooked an otter and was not impressed with the flavor...I would think it would have a strong taste of fish. I do make some beer biscuits, cheese biscuits or just plain cat head biscuits in the Dutch Oven. A Dutch Oven in camp is about as good of an all around appliance as you can have when there is no electricity. Lodge seems to be a very good brand and if a person decides on a foriegn brand, be sure and check the lid for a tight fit....that is part of the key to a good Dutch Oven.....a lid that matches the pot. Makes for a more uniform heat. But no, I don't have many exciting recipes from the wilderness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2008, 16:34 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

Yeah, I love cooking in a Dutch oven.

I've had Cougar. I don't know if it's anything like bobcat but I'd assume it would be. The cougar was smoked, and it honestly didn't taste any different than pork bbq you'd buy at a BBQ joint.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God. -Matthew 5:9