Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 19:11

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pa dutch scrapple recipe
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 14:40 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

so i am going to open up by saying this isn't the same crap you prolly have tried. Not to put any ones work down, but like anything if you combine the right ingredients you will have one heck of a tasty treat. I will also say that this is for a larger batch, (we use an old cast iron applebutter kettle to make it in) i am not sure of the actual size but think its about 35 gallons. This recipe makes roughly 130 lbs of scrapple.

Our scrapple calls for pork, and venison atleast, and we usually throw a bit of beef in too. Pig should be scolded, but you can do with skinned as well, just need to add alittle more of some ingredients later. We first bone out the carcasses to get your quality cuts, and trimmings for sausage. We usually don't bone out the rib cage on the deer, and we will usually throw a pork roast or 2 back in for the scrapple.

We fill our kettle with the bones, starting with the femors and lower leg bones. Then venison ribs, and your more meaty parts. (this is so that the meatier parts are not burnt on the bottom. We usually throw a beef heart,pig heart, venison heart, and liver. Try not to over do the organs for it will give it an off taste. (my grandfather insists on adding as many as we can to use them up every year...) I would suggest at most 3 hearts and 2 small livers or 1 beef liver. We also throw 1/4 of the pig skins in (***if scolded***) Cook until all the meat falls off the bones. for our set up it usually takes about 3 hours if we start with warm water.

Your going to then pull everything out of the kettle and put into meat trays in order to seperate the bones and meat. We give the bones to the dogs to keep them occupied while we are working. Once seperated we cut the hearts and livers up to help mix in with the other meat. Save as much of the strained broth as you can. If you have alot of beef and pork you may want to pull some of the fat off. Its one of those things with a couple batches you will have it figured out what you like. We get about 5 lbs of onions and quarter them up as well to mix in the meat.

Send the meat and onions through the grinder with a course plate. i believe our is a 8mm or 10 mm. If you have the the cooked skins, mix them in so it gets mixed all the way through. Then its seasoning time. your going to need black pepper (ground), table salt, marjirum(ground or flaked, be aware that flaked give off taste after the meat sits ground give you more of the immediate taste), and corriender (ground). The freshness of the spices is also something to consider. Now what we have been making it to taste for year, so i don't have exact measurements on the spices. I believe we use about 8 ounces of black pepper,8 ounces iodized salt, 7 ounces of corriender, 7 ounces of marjirum. Taste test it as your adding spices. You'll know it when it tastes good. Your going to want it to be alittle stronger spiced then what you want it to taste like. Mix seasonings in, then sent through the grinder one more time to help mix the

When you think you got it add it to the simmering broth. Your going to add 10 lbs of ground corn meal (preferably fine ground). Then you start stiring it and you can season alittle harder if you wish. (we usually do a basic seasoning first, then finalize the taste in this step) Its going to look like a thick meat soup. After you get the temp up that its steaming real good you start adding buckwheat flour. Your going to add this in real slow and almost sift it in, so not to get chunks. We add about 35 lbs of buckwheat flour, it usually takes about an hour to mix it all in. One person adding, one person stirring at all times. 35 lbs is estimate, if you have the skins in there it helps thicken it up, and it also depends on how lean the broth and meat was when you started. What your looking for is the meat will paste up almost like breaddough, and will start falling off the edge of the cast iron at the top. You should be able to stand the stir stick up in it and have it stand on its own, or close to it. ***Now remember the stirring is very important!! If it starts getting burnt on bottom its not going to taste good... I will also say have a couple people handy to stir. My cousin and i have to take 2 minute shifts and switch off after it gets thick, and we are big guys both over 6' 4" and over 300 lbs lol, some of you little guys out there might want to have a couple stand by people. You will see the scrapple start to bubble shortly after it starts seperating from the sides. As soon as you see it bubbling you want to cook it for 3 minutes. Then shut your heat source off.

While one person is stirring we have one person dipping the scrapple out into 10 lb plastic meat tots, or 5 lbers. My grandfather carries them into the butcher shop cooler, and lets them cool over night. When you get as much out of the kettle as you can with the scoop, its time to go get a spoon and enjoy some fresh hot stuff off the stir stick and kettle!!

Alright so that the making it part. Now to cook for your eating. We usually slice it thin and pan fry till it browns on each side. Then serve with eggs and fried potatoes. If you have enough grease in it, it will not stick and will flip nice, if not quite enough you might just have to add alittle veg oil to the pan. I also know some guys that deep fry it in thicker slices, then put some old bay seasoning on it. Its alright that way, but in my opinion just about anything thats deep fried and has old bay on it will taste pretty good lol.

i know the recipe is alittle vague and large for what most people want to do, i am going to try to update this with a "fire company roaster pan recipe that would be easier for you people to try. I will also upload some pictures of the process as soon as i find them :? Feel free to pm me for more details if you need.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 17:01 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Man that sounds pretty good. We had older friends that made it in smaller batchs w/some differant seasoning, sure would like to try it.