Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 18 Dec 2017, 15:40

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2006, 12:42 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Howdy. How do most of ya'll go about the process? After 20 years+ I'm just getting back into it, and I was just a youngster the last time I trapped. I always took my catch to the dealer "in carcase" So I never really did any of the work my self. Did a couple so far but ain't happy with the results.

1. On a male, I left the sack on the carcase, but the other part "stick" remained on the hide. Does this get removed?

2. I've been cuttting the legs at the elbow bend, but can they be taken the whole way? If so, how?

3. What's the correct way to cut the ears out? I've been pulling half the ear out and cutting it off but it seems to me there is too much of a hole.

4. I once heard that the leather side of the pelt is supposed to be smooth like paper when dry. Mine are rough in spots. does this matter?

Right now that's all I can think of, but I'd like to get this figured out because some things just done look right, so I hope ya'll can help. Thanks a million.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2006, 13:33 
To skin a fox:

Hang fox by one rear leg.
Grab opposite leg and pull until completely stretched.
Take knife and cut from the heel you're holding up to the one that is tied off.
Grab the tail
Cut from the tail to the line you've cut from heel to heel, cutting around vent
Cut around heels.
Pull hide down from leg that is tied.
Tie up other leg and do the same. Both legs should be tied.
Work your finger in between the tailbone and back-hide.
With a tail stripper or a pair of pliers, pull tail out, leaving it attached to carcass.
Grab the hide and pull down until the shoulders are exposed.
Work your fingers in under the armpits, and pull the legs out as much as you can.
Cut off, careful not to cut the fur.
Continue to pull hide over head, cutting the ears off close to the skull.
Cut around the eyes, careful not to cut the rims.
Cut the lips loose.
Cut the nose off leaving it attached to the hide.
Turn the base of the ear, or the whole ear. This is where you pull the skin loose from the back of the ear cartiledge. You do not cut it off else you get giant holes. You leave the ear base on, you just turn the ears so that the tanning solution penetrates easier.
Once on the stretcher, cut the lower jaw off.
Remove any large chunks of meat and fat, but do not 'flesh' them traditionally as you will tear the hide.
Turn skin out for 8-24 hours, then turn fur out.

If you're skinning for taxidermy and want to keep the feet on, make the same initial cuts of heel to heel, but instead of cutting around the anus, cut one cut down the side. Then, remove some of the rectum and leave attached to the hide. Skin the back feet down completely to the last toe digit, cutting it off at the bone with nail attached. Be sure to cut out the fatty tissue in the pads, as this will be replaced with clay later. For the front legs, an incision is made below the elbow to above the largest pad. You skin the foot out from there, as the way a fox's foot is designed, you cannot pull the hide over the foot. Then when you get to the head, you have to not only turn the ears, but be sure to split the skin around the eyes so you have something to tuck into your form, around the lips, and split the septum of the nose cartiledge after you've skinned the nose cutting off very little. Be careful when fleshing the head that you don't cut the folicles of the whiskers as they'll fall out.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2006, 16:48 
Trapper
Trapper

Good explaination 'lil bit! I'd be in trouble if I had to skin anything for taxidermy/////I know who to send it to now :wink:

I learned alittle trick a few years ago that I use. When skinning K9's, I know alot cut their front legs off. I leave them on as it's less blood (especially on fox), and I use them to hold the carcass from spinning on the gambrel (mine's mounted on a CP swivel).

Make a cut on the front legs on the backside, from the ankle to just under the knee. When you get it peeled down this far it will allow the front leg to expose itsself and make a release cut between the two. You can trim later.

The penis bone is attached to the hide by tissue, and can be cut loose. I cut the ears closer to the skull.

Be sure & keep a close eye on fox, they'll dry hide out quicker than you think, and are easily torn when turning if allowed to over dry. Fox are thin skinned & easily torn, so be careful.

Smitty

up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-WOW-What
a Ride"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2006, 23:57 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Thanks to both of you. I think I got it figured out now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2007, 17:50 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

thanks that helped me alot all so!!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]