Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Nov 2017, 23:47

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: doing up otter
PostPosted: 25 Dec 2011, 20:53 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

WOLF, I'd like to share with you and the others on here that one "little" improvement that I had overlooked for years while fleshing otters came to light while viewing your tutorial. Just "a pin" in the tip of the tail allowed me to flesh the tail without it slipping off the beam and me making and unwanted cut in it! Surprising how little hints can help. Also the "cubing" of the side fat on the tail makes it easier to flesh. Thanks.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg29 ... InTail.jpg

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2011, 21:38 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Swamp Rat wrote:
WOLF, I'd like to share with you and the others on here that one "little" improvement that I had overlooked for years while fleshing otters came to light while viewing your tutorial. Just "a pin" in the tip of the tail allowed me to flesh the tail without it slipping off the beam and me making and unwanted cut in it! Surprising how little hints can help. Also the "cubing" of the side fat on the tail makes it easier to flesh. Thanks.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg29 ... InTail.jpg

Some times the littlest thing can help make it easier.What you have shown was after i had put on the board and was just pinning the tail to start pinning the base end.

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab28 ... 030216.jpg
This is a better pic when it was on the beam. One thing that i had forgot to mention was after you have the otter boarded you remove the lip.
Swamp if you like i could send you a teflon scraper. They work just great on otter tails as you can press as hard as you want and will not cut into the tail. It is also good for fleshing fox,lynx,fisher and maybe even coon.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 13:56 
Trapper
Trapper

Location: Northern Virginia this season. Northeast Wisconsin from then on.
1) i have never seen anyone pin the legs closed like that. is there a reason you do that? looks good that way though... :idea:

2) i do alot of fox and coon and a couple otter in a year. that teflon scraper you have there looks pretty slick. how would a guy go about getting or making one???

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012, 20:28 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

furtrader8215 wrote:
1) i have never seen anyone pin the legs closed like that. is there a reason you do that? looks good that way though... :idea:

2) i do alot of fox and coon and a couple otter in a year. that teflon scraper you have there looks pretty slick. how would a guy go about getting or making one???

There is no extra value in closing the legs, it just looks neater. Many just leave them open or will sew them closed. Everyone has a different method same as doing beaver legs. The teflon scraper i make and is out of scrap pieces, nothing fancy but they work well, not for everything. I'm waiting to hear from Jase to see if the fleshers will work on coon. Send me your addy and i will make one up for you and ship.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2012, 09:51 
Trapper
Trapper

nice.

7/8 coon
1/2 bobcat
1/2 coyote
2/1 fox

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2