Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 08:02

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trapping Question
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012, 20:03 
Trapper
Trapper

So I figured I would try some trapping seeing how the duck season aint going so well. Here's what I got so far a dozen 1.5 coilsprings, 6 110 conibears, & 6 colony traps. I will be going for coon and muskrat. I have a spot that I think will produce both animals maybe even a fox or two.
Can you use colony traps here in VA, never used them before seems like they would work pertty good for seeing how I will be setting traps on the weekends.
Also can you use bait here(cheap cat food). I have read the rules several times and haven't seen anything. If not it's no biggy they got trails running all over the marsh. Hopefully I can talk to the gamewarden for some clairification on this.

Post subject: Re: Trapping Question
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2012, 20:42 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

hello, you can use the live traps in va. as far as i know. an yes you can bait animals. not deers or bears. i know with commercial lures and bait. and ask your local gamewarren is the best thing you can do. i wish you luck and happy trapping. thanks denny

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2012, 15:55 
Trapper
Trapper

Spoke with the gamewarden and said I should be good to go for the colony traps. So I set my traps friday only put out 6 1.5, 1 110 & 1 colony trap. Checked the next mourning got nothing relocated traps to a differnet area due to some people watching me check my traps. Went back today to pull traps and the dang coons ate the bate at my 3 sets and flipped a trap over. Going to try a beaver pond next weekend.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2012, 21:26 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

SwampRatNC wrote:
Spoke with the gamewarden and said I should be good to go for the colony traps. So I set my traps friday only put out 6 1.5, 1 110 & 1 colony trap. Checked the next mourning got nothing relocated traps to a differnet area due to some people watching me check my traps. Went back today to pull traps and the dang coons ate the bate at my 3 sets and flipped a trap over. Going to try a beaver pond next weekend.

SwampRatNC Where are you located...NC or VA? Be careful in how you use your new handle SwampRatNC, I wouldn't want you giving us Swamp Rats a bad name....I do that pretty good on my own! :roll: :lol: Welcome to WAT. The REAL SWAMP RAT. :wink:

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2012, 12:10 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

WOULD THE REAL SWAMP RAT PLEASE STAND UP!....... :--D

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2012, 15:18 
Trapper
Trapper

From eastern NC but live in HamptonRoads Va. And I am the King SwampRat :lol: Just cann't catch anything, but looking foward to thursday to set some traps.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2012, 16:40 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

good luck this Thursday swnc

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2012, 22:45 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Be honest SwampRatNC.....which one of these dudes are you???

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2012, 23:31 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

:shock: :--o :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012, 19:22 
Trapper
Trapper

If I had to be anyone of the 2 it would be the guy on the right. Any way got my first coon today out of 6 sets. Looks like one of last years, he want be destroying a duck or turkey nest again. Still no look find the rats. Got 8 sets put out this afternoon for coon and 2 110 for a muskrat or mink.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2012, 16:49 
Trapper
Trapper

Location: Northern Virginia this season. Northeast Wisconsin from then on.
when you bed your traps, make sure you bed them well. if coon feel them rock at all, they will dig them up and flip them over like that. same thing if you dont keep them clean. (free of unnatural scents)

For your rats, find their runs. slap you a 110 in the run and you'll whack um. Another good place to trap them is at their feed beds and toilets. walk in the water and look back at the shore. look for the places they come up onto the shore to poop or eat. it usually have some kind of cover hanging over it to conceal them from predators in the air.

Good baits for rats are fruits and vegitables. bananas, apples, carrots...

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 13:41 
Trapper
Trapper

Already had one flip a trap and last weekend they froze once it cold. Going to take a break this weekend and get my gear inline for next weekend. It's supposed to rain starting tonight and of and on all weekend, don't know how this will affect the trapping. As far as walking the creek bank in the saltmarsh ain't no way. The last time I did that was duck hunting years ago and I was covered in marsh mub. Drove home my underroes. I will have to you my marsh boat to find there runs. When the marsh floods out I can see there dens all over the place.