Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 13:03

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Strange
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2010, 12:26 
Trapper
Trapper

Had a call today from what sounded like an elderly lady.
She told me first there was a snake in her house that came in at night and got on the bed with her.
Then she told me she had seen it come under her chain link fence with a baby.
Further questioning led her to say it had four legs, about 2 feet long and was flat as a flounder, and was gray and black.
More questions from me and she said it had fur or feathers or something.
Then she told me it came in by her water heater and made a funny growling sound.
Then she told me her husband told her she was crazy and was going to leave her and she started a lengthy story about her owning the house and truck etc etc etc.
She even asked me if I thought she was crazy.
1. she didn't know what this thing was
2. I asked her if she knew what an Iguana looked like. (she didn't)
3. Asked her if she knew what a ferrott looked like. (she didn't)

4. Squirrel?
5. I live about 50 miles from this.
6. I called the County Sherriffs office and asked them to go by there and check it out for me before I drove all the way to find a (Mental problem)
They seemed uninterested. I thought they were to help and serve. Yeah right. The dispatcher said they would try.
7. Waiting on them to call me back (if they will)
Can't I just have a nuisance animal call like a coon, possum, coyote, elephant, hog or something?
I'm not making this up :|

Post subject: Re: Strange
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2010, 13:42 
You will find that there are many lonely old folks out there that just want someone to talk too. They will call the Sheriff's Office, or Police Department with some excuse to get someone to come out so they will have someone to talk too. Many years ago there was such a lady in my district. She always semed to call when we were the busiest. I finally told her that I worked whatever shift on Sundays. Sundays were most slways quiet for us. She began to call, giving some excuse to the dispatcher to get me out. I spent about an hour with her every Sunday for over a year. She finally passed, but I bet she was just a little bit happier to have someone to talk to every Sunday for that hour. I missed her when she died. There was an ole man that had aliens trying to kidnapp him. He called every Saturday night. One of the guys finally told him to put foil in his window and it would keep them away. The foil was in those windows for years and he never called back.

I would not be surprised that she may have seen something or may have may some illness that makes her thiink she is seeing things. Good Luck, Have patience

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2010, 15:11 
sounds like a lonely, senile, elderly woman.....kind of sad actually...

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2010, 15:17 
Swamp Rat will be calling you next :P :P :P :P :P

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2010, 15:58 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

redrooster wrote:

:oops: BUSTED!!!!! :cry:
Yepper, it does sound like some one who just wants to have a conversation, pretty sad indeed. :(

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2010, 18:04 
Trapper
Trapper

You all may be right on just the lonely part.
I gave it some thought, but just too far to drive for another case of nothing. Also the sherrif dept. didn't go by there or didn't bother to call me back. I didn't expect them to anyway.
I understand about the elderly, believe me.
My mother-in-law is 85 with Alzheimers, Pa-in-law is 86 and still cares for her. He is the one that always needs someone to talk to. Someone that doesn't ask the same question over and over. They live a couple of hours away. We see them as often as we can.
Thanks for the encouragment. I'll keep trying.
TJ

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2010, 18:16 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

One of my DILs is a Hospice Nurse and said she had a patient who was cared for by her son and he seldom got to leave the old Lady's side due to her conditions. They lived in a very rural area and when my DIL would stop by for the scheduled visits all he would ask of her was to "SIT AND HAVE A CUP OF COFFE WITH HIM". Sort of sad for both of them.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2010, 08:27 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

hey tj if you could catch this critter you might get your own tv show like billy the exterminator :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9
bobcat 7
otter 2

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2010, 17:44 
Trapper
Trapper

Funny you should say that. I've seen that show one time. "Hey Billy" is kinda strange guy, He does give some advice about wild animals, that people should take heed. Disease, bites, habitats, etc.
I tell people the same thing about coons in the attic, droppings and the such.
But he is also a TV show for entertainment.
I did have a call not long ago from a lady wanting me to come get something dead out of her attic.
She thought it was a nest of baby squirrels, because they sealed their entrance and tossed moth balls up there. So the mama didn't come back.
I politely told her I trapped live animals only.
She said she would make her husband go up there and get them out.
Sorry, I'll clean up my own mess but not hers.
:lol:

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2010, 10:58 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

redrooster wrote:

It might have been him she was calling about 8)

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2010, 11:25 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

black dog wrote:
redrooster wrote:

It might have been him she was calling about 8)

:shock: Is everyone on here turning into CLOWNS?!? :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2010, 13:29 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I don't know about that Swamp but you should see how many of us can fit in one tiny little car :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2010, 14:41 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

fuzz269 wrote:
I don't know about that Swamp but you should see how many of us can fit in one tiny little car :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:lol: I'll bet it is a BUNCH!!!! :x :lol: 8|-

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2011, 15:18 
Trapper
Trapper

You know, I read this again. There are many people out in the world like this. I am blessed to have a daughter, that is 11, and is very compassionate, and is about to volunteer at a nursing home. She likes to talk, they want someone to talk with, so everyone will be happy..... All jokes aside though, why is it, the only calls this spring for skunks, is little old ladies, on a fixed income? I know yall know what I mean, but, you know what the Bible tells us to do.......... I figure I may last long enough to need some help one day too... I figured someone could use a laugh on me, at least I have not been sprayed doing jobs for little or nothing, LOL. Now if they would just tell someone a lot younger, and that has a job, that too would be nice...........

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2011, 20:27 
Trapper
Trapper

I hear you Catman.
I'm way too cheap when it comes to just helping someone out. Usually I'm free, especially to the elderly.
I had a call from a sweet old lady the other day that said she had a bat in her bathroom and was about in panic mode.
Come to find out it was a piece of black tissue paper that she had tossed out of a shoe box toward the garbage can and it had fallen behind it.
When she saw it she thought "Bat". She had had a bat in the house not too long before.
We both had a good laugh.
No charge :D

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2011, 17:13 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Catman50plus wrote:
You know, I read this again. There are many people out in the world like this. I am blessed to have a daughter, that is 11, and is very compassionate, and is about to volunteer at a nursing home. She likes to talk, they want someone to talk with, so everyone will be happy..... All jokes aside though, why is it, the only calls this spring for skunks, is little old ladies, on a fixed income? I know yall know what I mean, but, you know what the Bible tells us to do.......... I figure I may last long enough to need some help one day too... I figured someone could use a laugh on me, at least I have not been sprayed doing jobs for little or nothing, LOL. Now if they would just tell someone a lot younger, and that has a job, that too would be nice...........

I really had to chuckle at you! I am kind of a little old lady on a fixed income living on a hobby farm in brutal Minnesota! Even though my husband will shoot the skunks, often they'll spray just as the first shot goes off and that's not good 'cuz it's my job to dispose of the stinkers! In the last month we've live-trapped four of the critters. My question to anyone is: Is there a better way to handle these varmints? And how old is a skunk before it has the capability of spraying? And is there ever an end to them? A big mean dog maybe?

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2011, 17:58 
Skunks will almost always spray if shot in the head. It is better to shoot them with a pellet gun or 22 short. Hit the heart and lung area and then walk off and leave them alone for a while. A lot of times if they have not been excited, they will not spray. Baby skunks are locked and loaded at birth, but usually will not spray until after their eyes are open. As long as there is security, food and a place to make a den, they will inhabit the area. By security, I mean they feel safe. A dog might help, but then you have to deal with the stinky dog. Good Luck

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2011, 18:26 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

redrooster wrote:
Skunks will almost always spray if shot in the head. It is better to shoot them with a pellet gun or 22 short. Hit the heart and lung area and then walk off and leave them alone for a while. A lot of times if they have not been excited, they will not spray. Baby skunks are locked and loaded at birth, but usually will not spray until after their eyes are open. As long as there is security, food and a place to make a den, they will inhabit the area. By security, I mean they feel safe. A dog might help, but then you have to deal with the stinky dog. Good Luck

Locked & loaded at birth?? Sad that it takes humans 'til about 50 before they get it! Anyway, thank you for your quick response! I had read somewhere that you were supposed to shoot them in the head ~ now I'm wondering... And about a safe place to make a den - we cut a lot of wood for winter heating, about 12-15 cords, which is stored in a barn, would this be something they'd inhabit? And are they half blind and can only see shadows? Oh, and forget the dog !!!

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2011, 18:46 
If you have a hole about 4-5 inches across, they will get into it. I store hay in the barn and they get between the hay bales all the time. Whom ever told you to shoot them in the head, did not know what they were talking about. Trust me. Shoot them in the heart lungs and about 1/2 the time they will not spray. If legal, and you have no other pets or neighbors pets, you can catch them in a conibear type trap that will kill them when caught. About half they time do not spray when killed by this type trap.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2011, 18:57 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

redrooster wrote:
If you have a hole about 4-5 inches across, they will get into it. I store hay in the barn and they get between the hay bales all the time. Whom ever told you to shoot them in the head, did not know what they were talking about. Trust me. Shoot them in the heart lungs and about 1/2 the time they will not spray. If legal, and you have no other pets or neighbors pets, you can catch them in a conibear type trap that will kill them when caught. About half they time do not spray when killed by this type trap.

I do not know what a conibear trap is, I'll look it up ~ thank you! Do skunks climb? Could that have been what killed my chickens? I loved my chickens! They were always closed up at night in a "room" but the hay loft is above and has places varmints could have gone up, over and down ~ I'm thinking more of minks or weasels. Am I wrong again?

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2011, 20:15 
I am afraid I cannot answer your question for sure. I would personally think Fox, mink or weasel before a skunk. How were the chickens killed? Were they carried off? What part was eaten?

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2011, 20:52 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

redrooster wrote:
I am afraid I cannot answer your question for sure. I would personally think Fox, mink or weasel before a skunk. How were the chickens killed? Were they carried off? What part was eaten?

It was a slaughter. Because I closed up the chickens in their house every night, they had no chance to run or fly or anything. Makes me so sad... Anyway, most of their heads were totally gone, some still in tact but damaged, feathers everywhere, but no blood! What? I'm still thinking mink or weasel 'cuz whatever it was had to go up into the hay loft, cross over and crawl down into the chicken house. There was no other way in, I had every little hole boarded tight. That was the last 13 cluckers I had, all gone in one night :cry: ~ not sure I want to go through that again. I'm a real softy!

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2011, 21:12 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

redrooster wrote:

Did you see the mink I trapped on the "Mug Shots" thread? Made me feel better but that wasn't the end of the massacre ~ there were more unknown varmints lurking!

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2011, 21:28 
Sorry that you lost your flock. Usually if there is one critter there are two and so on.