Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 18:55

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gopher / Woodchuck Bombs
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2010, 20:57 
Trapper
Trapper

Well I am still around and still doing ADC work though it is slow. Steady but slow which is OK with me as I am only doing this part time in adition to my full time job. I have been asked to do a woodchuck job at a duplex development. They have a large field , mostly leach field, that has almost 30 woodcuck holes. I spotted two of the critters when I checked out the job. I normally will trap chucks but this may get too labor intensive on this job. Has anyone used those smoke bombs for gophers & chucks? I know I can legally use them and will waite for a wet day just to be safe ( think brush fire ): I am just curious if anyone uses them and how the results have been. It seems to that , if everything goes right, I could have this job done in a couple hours. Simply light the fuse, place in hole, cover/ fill in hole and move on to the next one. Any thoughts , coments or advice is always welcomed. Thanks , nh

Beaver 14
Woodchucks 8
mice 10
Gray Fox( cage trap) 2

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2010, 23:00 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

The only thoughts I have on your situation is that I wish I could be there to see what pops out of the holes you don't cover!!! :shock: :--o :lol:

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2010, 01:00 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Have you fellas ever sean that old movie "Caddy Shack" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I can see it now :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2010, 07:48 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

fuzz269 wrote:
Have you fellas ever sean that old movie "Caddy Shack" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I can see it now :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yepper fuzz, that was on my mind as I read nh's thread. :lol:

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2010, 11:21 
Trapper
Trapper

I liked that movie! I think I will stay away from the C4 & home made M80s though.These things are nothing more than sulphur and charcoal. I think this will be more like that arcade game where the gopher pops his head out and you are supposed to bop him on the head. I am sure the dog would love to go along on this one to chase down any attempted escapees but that may not go over too well with the duplex residents. I am hoping with one or two helpers this will not take much time at all. I have used these " bombs" ( Giant Destroyer) to smoke out fox dens but never really used them on woodchucks though. You do have to be careful because they burn hot with a 3" flame. NH

Beaver 14
Woodchucks 8
mice 10
Gray Fox( cage trap) 2

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2010, 12:01 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

NH, you got any contacts on the railroad or police depts? Some folks call them "flares", but those of us who worked for the railroad called them fusees. Get you a mess of those 10 minute ones and you can put a lot of sulphur fumes and smoke in those holes.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2010, 22:54 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

good luck nh if your talking about the sulfer bombs you will have better luck and much mor enjoyment if you lit it and through it in a occupied out house traps and a pellet gun best option shotgun or .22 if you can

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9
bobcat 7
otter 2

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2010, 09:26 
Trapper
Trapper

No connections to speak of but the hardware store carries these Giant Destroyer gopher / woodchuck bombs. I guess I will see soon enough if they work or not. . Now that my vacation is over I will do this job early next week. Cant do any shooting as I really do not want anyone to see me dispatch an animal ( I am sure someone will be looking out the windows).

Beaver 14
Woodchucks 8
mice 10
Gray Fox( cage trap) 2

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2010, 06:04 
Trapper
Trapper

Well, I bought a bunch of the "Giant Destroyer" woodcuck smoke bombs and hit the field. It went much faster than I thought it would. I lit the fuse and tossed the bomb down the hole. Then I filled the hole in so no smoke came out.Took about an hour to do 21 holes at a modest pace. Man , did that put the hurt on the chuck population! When I first inspected the job there were chucks running all over the place. I haven't seen one in the field since! There are still a few that have holes in the woods next to the field and a few that had holes under the condos. I am live trapping those at this time. Already caught one chuck and one skunk. Now I can not say for sure how many of those holes where active but after two days I checked and not one was dug out. I would have to recomend this product as it seems to actually work. Only problem is you can not charge them for animal removal but I did charge them $10 per hole.

Beaver 14
Woodchucks 8
mice 10
Gray Fox( cage trap) 2