Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 05:26

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: IGUANAS SOUTH FLORIDA
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2007, 11:28 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

I HOPE IM NOT BEING A PAIN, BUT THIS IGUANA THING HAS REALLY BECOME A PROBLEM IN SOUTH FLORIDA. THEY ARE NOT GOING TO GO FARTHER NORTH THAN THIS AS THEY NEED YEAR ROUND WARM TEMPS TO SURVIVE, BUT IT IS ESTIMATED THERE ARE TENS OF THOUSANDS OF THEM, I THINK ITS MORE. SOME PEOPLE LOVE THEM,SOME PEOPLE HATE THEM. THEY HAVE BECOME A NUISANCE TO SOME BECAUSE THEY WILL EAT EVERY FLOWER,TOMATOS,AND OTHER VEGETATION,PLAYING HELL WITH PEOPLES GARDENS. THEY ALSO ARE LOUNGING AROUND POOLS AND LEAVING THERE FECES, THAT CONTAINS SALMONELLA. I QUESTIONED A UNIVERSITY ENTOMOLOGIST, BILL KERN,HE EXPLAINED THAT WHEN BABIES HATCH THEY EAT ADULT FECES TO GET THE NEEDED BACTERIA NEEDED TO DIGEST VEGETATION,THEREFORE THEY PASS SALMONELLA OFF TO ONE ANOTHER.THE IGUANAS THAT I AM DEALING WITH ARE GREEN IGUANAS THAT CAN LIVE 20 YRS AND REACH A LENTH OF 6 FT. THEY CAN GIVE A SEVERE BITE WITH SERRATED TEETH, CLAW YOU WITH VERY LONG CLAWS.AND WHIP YOU WITH THERE TAILS, I HAVE HANDLED OVER 100 AND NEVER BEEN BITTEN, I DID GET CLAWED BAD, BUT WAS MY FAULT AS I WAS NOT WEARING MY 18 IN KEVLAR GLOVES. I FORGOT TO MENTION HOW CAREFUL I HAD TO BE IN THE BEGINNING, USING CLOROX CLEANUPS SO AS I WOULDN,T GET SALMONELLA, DR KERN SAID I GET AN IMMUNITY THE LONGER I HANDLED THEM. I HOPE THIS WAS NOT TO LONG WINDED, HOPE YOU FOUND IT INTERESTING. THERE IS SO MUCH MORE I COULD TELL OR EXPLAIN,ENOUGH FOR NOW,I WANTED YOU ALL TO REALIZE THAT I HAVE STUDIED AND DONE MY HOMEWORK ON THIS, I SPEND HRS JUST WATCHING THEM. HERES WHERE I HOPE YOU CAN HELP, I HAVE TO LIVE CATCH. SNARES ARE GREAT BUT TO MANY DEATHS. I HAVE BEEN HAVING SUCCESS WITH HAVAHARTS, AND EXTENDED TRAPS, STEEL TRAPS ARE ILLEGAL LIL BIT WAS RIGHT, CANT EVEN USE SOFT CATCH. I AM OPEN TO ALL YOUR IDEAS, MOST TRAPPING WILL BE IN RESIDENTIAL AREAS. THANKYOU SKIP :) PS THEY ARE VERY FAST AND USE CANALS AS THERE PRIMARY ESCAPE RT I NEED ANY IDEAS FOR TRAPPING OR CAPTURING LIVE