Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 22:25

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Fox Job
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2009, 11:43 
Trapper
Trapper

Here is a job I looked at last night. I have a couple that want me to get rid of the grey foxes living near their house. The fox have a den in a rock / boulder pile not forty feet from the couples house. This boulder pile is about 30ft sq. and has been there for quite some time. We are talking automobile sized boulders. The foxes are well established and have several tunnels and paths. This is a rural setting. The foxes also have a neighboring barn to hunt mice in. Unfortunately the woman was recently bitten by one of the foxes and now they all have to go. She would like them all shot but this may prove rather time consuming. I have toyed with the idea of setting up a bait pile , get them comfortable with it , and then ambush em one evening. I am not sure just how many I could nail at once that way though. I suppose I could trap any remaining ones. Talking to the couple I think there are about 4-5 foxes. Even if I successfully remove all the foxes I am sure others will move right in. I suppose something would have to be done to the rock pile to prevent other foxes from moving right in. So if anyone has any tips , techniques or thoughts on this I would appreciate it. NH

Beaver 14
Woodchucks 8
mice 10
Gray Fox( cage trap) 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2009, 13:10 
PROFESSIONAL (MOUSE) TRAPPER

My neighbor here in Maine has caught young grays in cage traps. I have seen videos of adults going in cage traps too. You could always use live catch foot holds. Either of those choices would allow you to relocate if needed. Our biologists here don't want foxes moved more than 5 miles and in most cases that would put them in someone elses back yard so usually lethal removel is the result (with a permit from a warden or biologist).

The key is going to be to make the rock pile a bad place to live after they are gone so some new guys don't move in.

2013/14
red fox 3
gray fox 2
coon 3
muskrat 25
mink 1

Hunting
130 lb 4pt buck - Mathews Z7, Grim Reaper 100 gr. at 6 yards.
17 lb tom turkey - Remington Express 20 ga #4 at 10 yards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2009, 14:04 
Trapper
Trapper

I am licensed so " lethal removal" is definitely on the table( I am just a bit new at this) . I would love to relocate them but we all know the true facts about relocation ( even where legal). Is there some way to drive them away from their long standing home? A dog would be a great solution. I also was thinking of one of those motion activated sprinklers or I could hook a noise maker up to a motion sensor. That way every time they go in or out they get annoyed and might decide to leave. Those are my best ideas to drive em away. As for other methods I am open to ideas. How about a twist on the bait pile. When I get them all comfy and decide to stage the ambush I could place several foot holds around the site in an attempt to catch any runners. Keep the ideas coming ( I could use the money). NH

Beaver 14
Woodchucks 8
mice 10
Gray Fox( cage trap) 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2009, 15:25 

Well, if you want to drive them away, wait until they leave to go hunting at night, then move in and block the entrances to their den(s). Get some Coyote urine and squirt it all aroung the rock pile. They will probably get the idea.

2013/14
red fox 3
gray fox 2
coon 3
muskrat 25
mink 1

Hunting

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2009, 18:22 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

hello nh,if you are going leathal on them you might try smoking them out of the den and then shooting them it works really good on coyote dens.but usually takes two shooters to cover holes.well atleast it works good enough for the department of agg.touse it back here on high conscentration areas.hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2009, 07:36 
Trapper
Trapper

Yes, this is a large boulder pile and I would need at least one if not two extra " support personnel" . What would work to smoke em out? Nelson, I really need to post a pic of this boulder pile. I figure I would need 4-5 of those big gravel truck loads to make any difference. The coyote urine is a good idea. I set up my game camera yesterday and hope to have some pics this afternoon. NH

Beaver 14
Woodchucks 8
mice 10
Gray Fox( cage trap) 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2009, 17:54 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

hello nh old school is road flare.BUT if you have moles in your state then go to your local gardening store and go back to their pest control supplies and you should find them there.the ones we have are called GIANT DESTROYERS IT WILL BE a 4 or six pack of miniture sulfer flares that burn for about 2min and fill the tunnels with sulfer witch sucks out all the oxygen and forces them out just leave one or two tunnels for an escape rout.thease little flares run about $ 8.00 per pack.hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2009, 05:23 

They also make poison smoke bombs for taking out woodchucks that might work.

If you get game cam pics, please post them. We like pics.

2013/14
red fox 3
gray fox 2
coon 3
muskrat 25
mink 1

Hunting

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2009, 11:41 
Trapper
Trapper

I did check with Fish & Game and smokin em out is OK. They suggested the woodchuck bombs. This may also help me identify the actual den holes versus just a dead end type hole. I wonder if this may make a good U-Tube video? I can just see it now. I will be gagging on the smoke and the fox will be running out the back:) Peace Keeper, I like the idea of a road flare. I actually have a couple I just may use. Looks like Saturday will be show time. NH

Beaver 14
Woodchucks 8
mice 10
Gray Fox( cage trap) 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2009, 13:34 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

NH, if you know anyone who works on a railroad nearby, they should be able to hook you up with the "flares"....actually they are called "fusees" on the railroad. They are just compressed sulpher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2009, 13:55 
Trapper
Trapper

Great idea! We just happen to have a train stop at the museum I work at. I ll go out next time and see if the guys can hook me up! nh

Beaver 14
Woodchucks 8
mice 10
Gray Fox( cage trap) 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2009, 16:05 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

utube i cant wait will be watching.Just kidden.on a serious note i wouldnt post it on utube ive seen it done with coyotes and its not exactly pritty when the pups come out.but sometimes nesissary.but then im not much about giving pita video footage to use against us.GOOD LUCK

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2009, 16:17 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

peace keeper wrote:
utube i cant wait will be watching.Just kidden.on a serious note i wouldnt post it on utube ive seen it done with coyotes and its not exactly pritty when the pups come out.but sometimes nesissary.but then im not much about giving pita video footage to use against us.GOOD LUCK

Well stated Peace Keeper. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2009, 07:42 
Trapper
Trapper

Well it was kinda anti climatic. Nothing came out! I am wondering if the Red Fox urine I marked the area with the other day drove em away. The neat thing was just working with the smoke. I could see smoke coming out in various locations and I just blocked and filled in the holes till no more smoke came out. Hopefully they will get the idea and not return to this spot. NH

Beaver 14
Woodchucks 8
mice 10
Gray Fox( cage trap) 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2009, 08:04 

Did you take any pictures?

2013/14
red fox 3
gray fox 2
coon 3
muskrat 25
mink 1

Hunting

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2009, 09:58 
Trapper
Trapper

I did take some pics and had the video going just incase. Nothing impressive but if I can manage it I will post a pick of the rock pile. nh

Beaver 14
Woodchucks 8
mice 10
Gray Fox( cage trap) 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2009, 19:34 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

HELLO NH SORRY ABOUT THE OUTCOME BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME.BUT ATLEAST YOU GOT THE JOB DONE THATS WHAT COUNTS.