Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 12:16

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dog Food
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2008, 12:49 
Trapper
Trapper

So... I live out in the middle of no where... always havin critters in my feed and tryin to get my chickens. I decided to do something maybe a little underestimated, I set I trap with ... Dog food and chicken broth, yeah I know what your thinkin (dumb girl) but hey i figured if thats what they wanted thats what they could have. Well it sure enough worked! I'll try anything once :roll:

O, WHAT MAY MAN WITHIN HIM HIDE, THOUGH ANGEL ON THE OUTWARD SIDE!
-William Shakespeare

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2008, 13:37 
Trapper
Trapper

I'd say Smart Girl for thinking outside the box. a lot of animals are accoustom to eating dog and cat food and will come to it before they will alot of baits...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2008, 13:37 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

I don't see anything wrong with that....seems most folks think everything else "taste like chicken'. Why not dog food too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2008, 14:12 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

well maj, I'll try most things once,but I got to draw the line at thoes trappin duds your wearin in your mug shot pic, :wink: :lol: by the way how do you keep the mud from between your toes? And I second Beaverboy givem em what thier eating and you cant go wrong!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2008, 13:46 
Trapper
Trapper

Sounds corny, but I have used dog food to lure coyotes into traps on the farm. We have numerous small shed throughout the property and I keep some dog food in them when she is the the pasture with the sheep. One day I forgot to clean up the food and heard something that night by the shed. The spotlight revealed a coy. Ever since I have used dog food to lure them into my sets. Nice use of chicken broth though, probably makes it taste a little more appealing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2008, 08:00 
Trapper
Trapper

Years ago when I attended ariel gunning school in Texas I heard of trappers using kibble and bits with a shot of cheese wiz and doing well on coyote pups in the summer. A trapper from New Mexico told me he has caught a number of coyotes using peanut butter in areas where farmers raise peanuts. He said that coyotes would often dig up the plants and eat the peanuts. Another mentor of mine told me of trying to catch a (Hey, I am talking about a female canine here) in the summer and using a whole carrot partially buried on end for the bait. He reported that he caught her by both front feet and perhaps he had been using the wrong bait all these years:).