Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 09:57

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Armadillo
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2011, 15:30 
Trapper
Trapper

OK, somebody tell me how to catch this blasted armadillo. Tearing up everything in my yard, garden, flowerbeds, etc.

He's out there almost every night. I have had a live trap out for 3 weeks, moved it around, baited it with everything but a dirty dishrag. Can't find his den. My little rat terriers won't even trail him. Only saw him once at night and before I could get my 22, he was gone. If I don't catch him or kill him soon, I may have to move in with somebody. My wife wants him GONE!!! :evil:

Swamp, you ought to have a little experience with this since you live in sho'nuff armadillo country! Thinking about getting me a black and tan hound puppy so I'll have a big dog eventually, but dang those breeders are proud of them.

Post subject: Re: %!#@!! Armadillo
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2011, 17:48 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

The best results with a 'dillo is to use a live trap with both ends open and put it next to a fence and then put some boards up to force it into the trap. Figuring out it's travel route will be somewhat difficult. If you have an outside security light, you may want to check under it during the night when bugs and worms may be present and use the .22 on the 'dillo.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2011, 19:38 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks, I don't have a double ended trap. but my guess is my wife will say "go get one"!! Our local Atwoods has them. I know where his thru the woods trail is, and the trap is there now. I'll build a long board funnel on both ends and see if it works! Thanks again.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2011, 21:18 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Hope you have some good luck.

PostPosted: 14 May 2011, 18:05 
Trapper
Trapper

Never did get him, but I got a 6-month old red bone pup at the humane society, and put her out in the yard. (not fenced. Way out in the country!) Beautiful dog, full blood the vet said. No more armadillo damage. No dead dillos, but no damage.

PostPosted: 14 May 2011, 18:15 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

ArkieFur wrote:
Never did get him, but I got a 6-month old red bone pup at the humane society, and put her out in the yard. (not fenced. Way out in the country!) Beautiful dog, full blood the vet said. No more armadillo damage. No dead dillos, but no damage.

Here is some info I heard about on the radio:

Molemax ® castor oil-based granular repellent protects lawns, gardens, bulbs and ornamental plantings from burrowing animals such as moles, voles, gophers, armadillos, skunks, rabbits and ground squirrels. May be spread by hand or with a spreader at a rate of 1 lb. per 500 sq. ft. Granules should be lightly watered into the ground. 5-lb. shaker bottle. USA made.
NOTE: Not for sale in Alaska, Hawaii, Indiana, New Mexico, Washington D.C., U.S. Territories and International.

PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 07:28 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks, Swamp. I wrote that down so I can try that if I need to. So far, tho, so good with this dog. She is also keeping the deer from eating the leaves off of my young fruit trees, so maybe she is going to be worth her keep!

Did you get any of the rain down there? Everything is really green here, but cool nights are slowing the garden down quite a bit. 44 here this am. Feeling sorry for the folks over close to the Mississippi river.

PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 08:37 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Sounds like a good dog.

No rain problems down here, unless the lack of it could become a problem. Our temps are ranging from 50s to 70s. We have already had some 90s this spring. Yep, I agree that there are a lot of folks going to take some damage from the flood waters off the Mississippi over the next few weeks.