Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 07:25

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: coon bite
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2011, 21:33 
Trapper
Trapper

Caught this one on a nuisance job today, and while loading him up in the back of my truck, I took my eyes off of him for a second and he jumped at the cage gate and bit my thumb. I had on leather work gloves, but the teeth went through. The gate of the cage is like prison bars, wide enough for his mouth to exit.
I had to go to the ER to get tetnus shot, and tomorrow, I get to dispatch him and take him to the health dept. to be sent off for rabies testing. :roll: I just hope he isn't positive.
I didn't have to have stitches but he got the fingerprint side of my thumb pretty good.

Post subject: Re: coon bite
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2011, 21:57 
He looks like he would take a bite out of you. Sorry that he got your thumb. From what I can see in the pic, he looks healthy. :P May want to add a couple more handles made out of #9 wire to each end of the cage

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2011, 22:24 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Well that outing isn't going too good for you and your thumb and far worse for the caged bandit! :evil: I am sure you know the proceedure for sending the speciman off that is to be examined for rabies.....no brain damage. Best of luck on your results. I am thinking it will be fine and come back negative. Keep us posted.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2011, 06:04 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Congrat's on your catch, good luck on the outcome. Might want to put a piece of flashing on there where they can't reach through.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2011, 07:43 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks for the encouragment.
I'll be 22magnum on the body part in just a few minutes. They told me not to damage the head.
Fortunatly I was off work today anyway, and our county health dept. is in the town I live in.
Just kind of embarrassing to me to let it happen. They strike quick and I was just a little too comfortable handling the trap. Thumb is pretty sore and I've got to fill an antibiotic prescription they gave me. Oh well, part of the business I guess. ;--)

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2011, 08:38 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

This may make you reconsider the term "damage control".....may want to add the flashing to your traps like watershedman suggested. :roll: good luck on the outcome of the testing.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2011, 09:13 
PROFESSIONAL (MOUSE) TRAPPER

Look at some of the commercial cage traps and see how they put sheet metal around the handle area. You should be able to retro-fit your cage traps so your fingers and hand is protected. I think coon can be one of the most likely biters. I have had some jump the crap out of me lungeing at me in the cage. Their growl can stand the hair up on the back of your neck. I hope you have a good insurance plan if you need the shots, they are VERY expensive.

2013/14
red fox 3
gray fox 2
coon 3
muskrat 25
mink 1

Hunting
130 lb 4pt buck - Mathews Z7, Grim Reaper 100 gr. at 6 yards.
17 lb tom turkey - Remington Express 20 ga #4 at 10 yards.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2011, 10:21 
Trapper
Trapper

Got the coon (dead) to the health dept.
I'll know something tomorrow afternoon whether he's positive or negative for rabies.
It wasn't the carry handle that he got me from. I was shoving the cage into my truck from the open tailgate and I looked away for a second and he lunged at the door of the cage. The door bars are wide enough for that snout to get you.
My fault entirely.
Health dept told me if I had to take the shots, I would have to pay some portion of it.
The preventative shots if I wanted to take them are from $800 to $1500 :--o
I told them, I'd just be more careful. Darn $100 raccoon :shock:

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2011, 12:20 

I have been trying to line up the preventive shots too. They cost 260 bucks each for 3. That is for pre exposure vaccine series. There is a follow up later to see if it took. A post exposure series is 5 shots I think and it includes another type of injection that is even more expensive (Human Rabies Immune Globulin). Here is the thing, if you have the pre-exposure series and get exposed you still have to get shots, just the vaccine. With me, I have to get immunized at the emergency room as a med. dispense because the hospital pharmacy stocks it. My insurance company says an emergency room visit it $100 deductable. If I can get the shots a a doctors office, they are covered 100 percent. Doctors offices do not stock the shots (for the most part). I'll get it figured out eventually.

2013/14
red fox 3
gray fox 2
coon 3
muskrat 25
mink 1

Hunting
130 lb 4pt buck - Mathews Z7, Grim Reaper 100 gr. at 6 yards.
17 lb tom turkey - Remington Express 20 ga #4 at 10 yards.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2011, 12:44 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

I hope this doesn't hijack your thread, but I found this RABIES INFO on the WSU College of Veterinary Medicine site:

"What is rabies?
Rabies is an infectious disease caused by a Rhabdoviridae virus.

How is rabies contracted?
A bite from an infected (rabid) animal transmits rabies. There are highly unusual cases of individuals contracting rabies by inhaling it from bat caves; but those cases are extreme and very rare

What animals can become rabid?
Any mammal can become infected if they are exposed to rabies. Therefore, a bite from an iguana or a bird, even a wild one, poses no threat of rabies. “Exposed” means bitten by a rabid animal.

If my child is bitten by a pet gerbil do I need to worry about rabies?
No. Small pet mammals such as gerbils, hamsters, and guinea pigs are born and raised in captivity and therefore they are never exposed to the rabies virus. Additionally, if a hamster, gerbil, guinea pig, or even a rat were attacked by a rabid animal they would not likely survive the attack and live long enough to get disease and transmit the virus.

What animals do commonly carry rabies?
Rabies may occur in bat populations in all of the lower 48 states. In addition to bats, some areas of the US also have rabies maintained in terrestrial wild mammals. These include skunk (mid west mainly), raccoon (eastern US), coyotes (Texas) and foxes (mainly in the Southwest).

How will I know if an animal is rabid?
The only conclusive way to know if an animal is (was) rabid is to identify the virus in brain tissue after the animal is dead. Given that rabies infects the brain it can cause a variety of clinical signs. There are two forms of rabies: dumb and furious. Dumb rabies is observed as animals that are too docile. They are not affectionate, but they will not run from humans. Wild animals normally avoid human contact so if a wild animal does not seem cautious when you approach it, it may be rabid. The other form of rabies, furious rabies, is more commonly seen. This is the stereotypical rabid animal that is vicious and will attack with out provocation. Foaming at the mouth and excessive saliva are not always present! If a mammal acts unusually aggressive, or displays any bizarre behavior, it may be rabid.

How is rabies managed in wildlife?
Currently there are programs in the Northeast and Southern United States to vaccinate wild animals against rabies. The vaccines are oral baits and do nothing to impact bat rabies.

Why should I vaccinate my pet against rabies?
Vaccines against rabies are available for dogs, cats, ferrets, horses, sheep and cattle. The vaccination of house pets has multiple benefits. First, it protects your animal from contracting rabies if a rabid animal attacks them. Second, vaccinated pets form a “barrier population” that minimizes the transmission of rabies from wildlife to humans. Finally, there is no way to test an animal for rabies while it is alive. Therefore, if your pet is unvaccinated, suspected to be rabid and has potentially exposed a person, it would have to be killed in order to test the brain for the rabies virus.

How do you test for rabies and why can’t it be done on a live animal?
Rabies is an unusual virus because it never enters the blood stream. Rabies travels along the nerves from the site of infection, the bite, into the brain, and then concentrates in the salivary glands. This brain infection is why you see unusual behavior in rabid animals. This method of travel makes rabies undetectable in a live animal because rabies is diagnosed by examining the brain microscopically and immunohistochemically (using rabies antibody) to demonstrate the presence of the virus.

"How do you treat humans bitten by a rabid animal?
If the person has never been vaccinated against rabies: the wound should be cleaned thoroughly, Human Rabies Immunoglobulin (antibody) should be placed in the wound and injected into the muscle around the wound, and five injections of rabies vaccine should be given over a month. (Vaccine injections are in the arm similar to a tetanus shot.)
If the person has been vaccinated against rabies: The bite wound should be cleaned thoroughly and two vaccine injections should be given. No immunoglobulin is given.

If a person thinks they might have been exposed to rabies but don’t know for certain,
it is best to get the treatment
."

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2011, 15:03 
Trapper
Trapper

Very good information Swamp.
I'll go on board to say it. Everyone who messes with wildlife should be be aware of the dangers of this disease. (I know, Everyone is aware)
The Dr. at the ER yesterday told me that bats and raccoons were the main animals around here that would have it.
I'm needless to say... a little concerned about the test of this coon.
Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2011, 15:09 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

If the animal had been "goofy" acting and not the normal aggressive that coons are, I'd be concerned more too....but I think from the looks of the photo, it was just being a coon.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 20:05 
Trapper
Trapper

Got news today from my local health dept. that the raccoon head did not reach the lab via Fed. Ex today. It was shipped as priority or next day and the lab is only 75 miles away.
I could have walked it there by now.
They told me that if it arrived tomorrow they would have the testing done in a few hours and would let me know. If it does not arrive tomorrow they recommend I start the shots.
Oh well, nothing like another night of thinking about it.
Probably got dropped off on the door step of the lab and some crack-head found it and thought it was drugs :lol: Wouldn't he be surprised to see a coon head staring back at him when he opened it.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 20:16 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

:evil: That is downright ridiculous!!! How can someone "drop the ball" such as that? Sorry to hear that...sounds like they are going to drag around and cause you to do the series of shots regardless. I am not sure how long the head is good for testing. Was it packed in ice? Best of luck in this situation!

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 20:17 
Sorry to hear that you did not get the results back. Trust me when I tell you I know what you are going through. Been there and done the waiting/worrying thing. In fact I did it every 6 months for three years... It can take a toll on you if you let it. Be strong, the results will be in your favor and you will be fine.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2011, 20:21 
Trapper
Trapper

Got the call from the health dept today and my coon head was delivered after hours last night to the lab.
It was checked today and they called me this afternoon to tell me it turned up negative :D
Said there was nothing else I needed to do other than finish the antibiotics.
I was very relieved.
Lesson learned.
Thanks for all of the support from the WAT team.
TJ

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2011, 20:36 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Great News

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2011, 20:39 
Fantastic New, I know you are relieved. Now!!! Be careful in the future :P