Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 23:02

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Are 220's legal?
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2010, 12:19 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

This is only going to be my 2nd season of trapping, so bear with me. Under TPWD's regs, you cant land trap with bigger
than 10 inch diagonal trap. If the traps made a straight corner, it would fall under 10 inches. However, if they have the curve in the ends, it bumps it up to over 10. Anybody ever have any problems over this? (I feel really dumb, just saw the warden yesterday!!!)

Post subject: Re: Are 220's legal?
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2010, 16:47 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Welcome to WAT kb, fastest way to get a question answered about Texas Game Laws is call the 1-800 # and talk to someone in the office in Austin. Sometimes they will email you back if you use that venue and then you have it in writing.

What area of TX are you located?

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2010, 20:25 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

I'm about 50 miles east of San Antonio. Don't have much for room out here. Most of the land has been bought up in little tracts or high fenced with no access unless a lot of money comes a calling. I'll call Austin and see what the official word is, I was just wondering after some of the posts I've seen where a lot was left to the officers discretion. I can't remember whether it was here or another site where they were discussing the offset mod of welding a bubble on the jaw to keep it from closing. In two out of three wardens that the poster asked, that turned it into a toothed design. So feeling confused, I went and measured my conis. i could have sworn I did it before and came up legit, but not with the curves in the jaws. I don't know the name of those parts. I've used them before in bucket sets for coons, but now I'm feeling really confused and slightly guilty... Hope the furry bandits will forgive me. Around here I will probably be sticking to 1.75's due to all the non target critters passing through. Still, the coni's are what I have the most, and I lose the 220's I'm pretty well out of business since I only have a hand ful of coilsprings.
You're back east, right? I made it up there to the Angelina NF one season. Spent the first day hunting sign and trails, the second day freezing to death. That was the year it snowed. A big shock to a south texas boy... I turn my back on my family for one three day bender and come back to 20 degree weather, frozen pipes and dead cows. Getting the urge again so if you have another bad cold snap again in January or so, you can blame me!

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2010, 20:39 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

You mentioned the high fences in your area, contact the owners and see if they will consider letting you snare the "crawl unders" when hunting season is over. You can pick up some critters and they'll have less corn/protein/& deer eaters coming on their places. Yes I am in east Texas....Angelina county. Are you in the Gonzales area?

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2010, 21:53 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

I'm closest to Seguin. I'll check into the craw-unders. Let you know what I find out about the Coni's. It looks like the 160 has a good coon following, now if I could just housecat proof it.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2010, 22:08 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

PM sent.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2010, 22:19 
In kansas, both parties own the fence, so you can trap the fence on your side. Not sure how Texas is though. Might be an option.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2010, 12:53 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Off the phone with the TPWD line. 220's are apparently legal. The only thing that concerns me is that it took them awhile to get back to me. I have the card of a local game warden. I'm going to hunt him down and see what he has to say. He's the one who will find them, so his ruling might just be important.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2010, 12:59 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

The thing I hate about asking a Warden is that he sometimes shares "his opinion" and if it differs from what the Austin office says, well then you are at his mercy. I'd try an email and see if they responded and if they do, as I said before, you'd have it in writing and therefore no question of interpretation.