Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 00:26

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2008, 23:15 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

ive always been one to have strange pets squirrels and what not. id like to try to get a bobcat and ive done a lot of research and they seem to tame down decent. however the only economical way to get a baby is to catch a male and female which i can do. then put them in a pen and hope that they breed in captivity. i plan to do this with coons as well. if u have any input let me know. worst thing i can see is they dont breed and i turn them loose or keep feeding them til they do. i have the pen planned out so i will be able to seperate the cats off into one side or another so i can feed and water them or (if they do have babies) get to them
like i said i know it seems like it could be a bad idea but any input is appreciated thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 06:24 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Fiirst, check your state laws. Some require permits, and some won't alow it at all. Second, we had a pair of them in a cage at the boy scout camp I worked at years ago. They never bred, and never got used to the idea of people bein around. They'd growl, his, and if you got to close, they'd try to attack. One stip, and one gets the chance, your goose is cooked. It ended when one killed the other, so they turned the remaining one loose. Don't think it's a very good idea. Since ya asked.

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 09:13 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

its still just an idea right now but i was planning to keep them at my farm where the only human contact they had would be when i feed them. and i also read that bobcats, like most other big cats are very aggressive breeders and have been known to occasionally kill each other during breeding. how long had those cats been in the cage at that camp? and how big was the cage?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 17:18 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

hmm. Afew years. And the cage was bigger than a 25 ft goose neck trailer, but not sure on messurements. Been, maybe 10 years ago. After they were gone, they put ducks in it.

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 18:53 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

hmm. i dont know then...other option is to try and catch one early in the spring thats already bred...as much as i hate to say it im kinda hard headed and gunna do nething i can to try and make it happen and hope for the best

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 19:29 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

You ever in boy scouts?

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 19:39 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

for a few years...im n a lil town called bullard...we were always kinda frowned upon cause we never paid much attention to the "rules" we just did our own thing at the camps and had a good time. never anything bad just not what everyone else did. haha we always cooked our own breakfast and had kids from other troops comin over to eat with us and played dominoes at night...good times

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 19:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Ever go to Camp Cherokee down in Athens?

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 19:44 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

i dont remember...the only one i can remember was pirtle. and thats just because it rained every time we went

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 19:45 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Oh, cause that's where those bobcats were at.

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 19:52 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

oh...i wish i coulda seen them. theyre really cool animals. but theyre bad to the bone when theyre mad. honestly im nervous to put a catch pole on one to get it out of the trap. my uncles done it a few times and he said u can make them lose conciousness really easy and put them in a cage. but when they hit the bottom of that cage they come alive and are crazy

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 19:55 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Had a black one show up in the back pasture once. Never new they came that way. Hadn't seen him since. Was told the black ones bring good money on taxadermy sites.

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 19:59 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

i think most animals can come in a melanistic phase but theyre really rare. id love to catch anything that was a strange coloration. i never see any cats around here though but my uncle and cousin have caught a lot. the only one around here i have ever seen was in my trap

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 20:06 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Seen afew around the family farms about 30 miles south of me. That's actually where the black one was at. Had a regular one across town at the hay meadow. Say several dead on one particular strech of road. Seemed like as soon as one carcuss was gone, anothered get hit pretty close by. I worked 6 years at EDS in Plano. We actually had a moma with cubs in the bushes right out side one of the glass atriums. Man would she through a fit if anyone got near those bushes.

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 20:15 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

i bet. ive seen a lot of mad momma animals haha they are crazy when you get close to their babies. i hade a few momma cows get after me when i was workin em.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 21:35 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yep. Been there, done that. Ain't always the bull that ya' gotta watch out for.

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 21:56 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

naw haha mines pretty gentle

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 22:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Not that old holstien we had when I was little. If not for that ol dog we had, afew of us may have "bought the farm" before grandpa finaly got rid of him.

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 22:10 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

i know how that goes. a good dog can save a life. i had to put my baby down last year. she kept me out of trouble many a time. we run brangus out at my place. usually try to keep around 100 head

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 22:35 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

The little place where I live, my daughter and I have afew goats, chickens, and my stub. The family place used to be a dairy, but closed the dairy part down a number of years back, and started on just a mix of beef cattle. Now, the only thing there full time is the horses, and then my uncle brings some cattle down during calving season, to give them more room. After the calves go to sale, he takes the cows back to his place.

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 22:46 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

i gotcha. every once in a while we keep a few heifers an move em about 15 miles out to my grandpas but other than that we keep em all out at our place. but sadly i have to say we are a dying breed. the main thing ppl are growin out here is houses. a few years ago we were the fastest growing town in texas

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 22:51 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Last few years it's been back and forth between McKinney and Frisco. Frisco is west of McKinney. Guess where the family farm is. West of McKinney. Grandma's had ALL KINDS of investers, developers, you name it buggin her to sell out. Knocking on the door, letters in the mail, phone calls. But, she's like that song (but slight change), "Grany won't sell the the farm". She tells them she'll keep it til the day she dies, then it's up to the kids.

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 22:57 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

yea i heard that. i dont ever want to sell. bein raised workin on a farm has gave me values that most kids these days dont have. i sound like an old man sayin that. but its true. i see how most folks act and im so much different and i think its between that and the other stuff my folks did for me

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 23:05 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I hear ya. My 14 year old son lives with my folks. My 11 year old daughter with me. Daughter runs the small farm with me. Drives the tractor, moves the round bales, you name it. We live in a small farm town outside Sherman. My son lives in a city, and sits on his butt playin video games alot of the time. You can see a differance. Found out the girls got stronger legs than her older brother. Like I said, she runs the tractor. Tried to teach him once, though. Almost took out the shed. He couldn't handle the clutch. It was to hard for him to push it down.

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008, 23:12 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

i cant remember not doing that kind of stuff. i kno people that cant even drive a standard shift vehicle. when i was younger i would move hay in the pasture with one of our farm trucks with a spear in the back and when i would push in the clutch my head would literally go out of sight. im not a big guy at about 140 lbs an nearly 6ft but i generally surprise people with my strength. i cant really see how people cant do nething. bein in college i stay out late and what not but i dont do like most of my friends and sleep til after noon. i appreciate getting to relaxe and what not but i cant just stay still. i might not get anything done but ill do somethin