Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 07:51

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2008, 23:44 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Hello from north east Texas. I am new to the fourum, I have been reading up mostly.
I live 20 miles east of Paris. I havent trapped before but always found it very interesting. I had a pal a few years ago that was from up state NY that grew up trapping. I loved to hear his stories.

Anyway we have around 100 acers here that is all woods with a few creeks that run in the spring . I am thinking of setting out just a few traps for starters . Any suggestions on what type of traps and what animals I should target.

Anyway any thoughts would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Jun 2008, 23:58 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Welcome. I live out side Sherman, Tx. Got afew other Texans on here, too. A freind of mine has a place he lets me deer hunt in your neck of the woods. It's just north of Bagwell. Told me I could trap it, too if I wanted. As far as what to trap, I guess it depends on what you got on you land. What ever you got alot of. Yotes can be trickier, but don't let that stop ya from trying. Kept me from it for a good while. Filnally put a snare out for one, and caught him the first night. That was just month or so ago. Coons are easey. So are skunks and possum. Might try them for starters, then work up to yote. Bout how old are ya? I'm 31. Got a good veriety on here of age and experiance. You'll get lots of help here. Again, welcome aboard.

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Jun 2008, 07:45 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Welcome to the Forum...we need more folks from Texas participating in the discussions. Most everyone is willing to help with what they know, think they know or wish they knew....don't be afraid to ask questions. I am further down from you in east Texas and do most of my trapping in southeast Texas. I have good luck with #11 dbl (double long springs) for most all of the smaller varmints. I also alternate using some 1.5 cs (coil springs)....they are a little more difficult to "bed" (stabaize) when setting. For otter, cats and coyotes I use #3s and #4s. I extend all my chains whereas some folks shorten theirs. Like Boom stated, it has a lot to do with what game is most available on your trapping territory. Seems you will catch a lot of coons and once you start setting very many dirt sets (like for bobcats and coyotes) you will end up catching coons-skunks-possums. The key to trapping is to know your target animals and how they travel and react to situations. You can improve the odds by guiding them into your trap zone either by structures, scents, visuals or use game trails to your advantage. If you have a tree in the edge of your creek and it is shallow on the water side, the coons will usually go out into the water and "fish" as they travel around the tree.....it also helps if you have "brushed off" the land side of the tree. Be sure to always place your stepping stick on the downstream side of a water current. There are all sorts of "tricks" that you will learn as you go.....trapping is something you continue to learn. If you like it, there is no end to the fun you can have. Best of luck and hope to be seeing you participate in the discussions.

Swamp Rat-Lufkin TX

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Jun 2008, 19:05 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Fellas thanks for making me feel welcome. From what I can tell there are quite a few raccoons around as well as some pigs. I am sure the more time I spend out there the more I wil find. We are still in the process of moving from Fort Worth so things are a bit crazy here. I want to make some time for the woods though.

Oh Boom asked for a few particulars. I am 38 years old married for 16 years have 2 kids.

I will be poppin in and checkin up on stuff from time to time.

Thanks again for making me feel at home.

Cliff