Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Nov 2017, 14:32

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just Coming On Board
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2008, 10:04 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Hello Fellow Texas Trappers- I just ran across this site a few days ago and have been enjoying reading all the blogs and looking at the photos. I live in Lufkin and trap near Spurger. I am retired after 39+ years with the Santa Fe Railroad ... worked as an engineer most of that time. Between the logging companies and RITA (the hurricane) our 7400 acre lease is fairly devastated! The storm seemed to concentrate in the sloughs and thus ruined some pristine trapping areas. It is hard to trap in places you can hardly stand up in. I have been stringing steel since 1959...made some money in the early 80s...mostly just recreation now.

I have noticed a decline in grey fox and mink in the areas I trap in. I sold my coons over at R-P Outdoor Supply in Mansfield,LA to Randy Gallaspy the other day and he said he gets very few "piney woods" mink any more. Reckon where they went?

Last season for the first time in over 20 years I had the first trap stolen while trapping on my lease. It involved a dog (our club isn't suppose to have dogs on it) and a contract truck driver that hauls salt water out of the lease. I found everything but my trap. I even spoke with the fellow who the dog belonged to. I have had many traps stolen in years past when I trapped on public lands. These days it is a monetary loss when one goes missing.

In the late 70s and 80s I helped organize and was Sec of the Southeast Texas Trappers Assoc in Silsbee TX....we had a lot of good speakers over the years. We had one large meeting every fall. Sure met some fine folks during that time. I was also lucky enough to belong to and make several FTA and NTA meetings around the USA. It is good to get to meet the folks who writes the books and makes the lures. I once had every copy of the TRAPPER magazines, but all were lost when the building I had them stored in flooded. Well, I think this should get me started on the site in good fashion....hope to hear from other Texans and fellow trappers from all around.[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2008, 10:07 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Great to see you here Swamp Rat. Thanks for joining in. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2008, 19:48 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Here is a photo of the original SWAMP RAT and his ride.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2008, 20:43 
Trapper
Trapper

swamp rat does the southeast texas trappers asociation still exist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2008, 21:24 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

No it doesn't. We did have some good years with it. Where do you do your trapping?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2008, 23:34 
Trapper
Trapper

havent done much this year because of work and baby but im going to hit it hard in november. i plan on trapping in lumberton and on my deerlease in jasper. this will be my first year to trap hard. just caught a few coons and possums so far but hey thats better than nothing

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2008, 08:56 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Hello TxTrapper-

I finished school many years ago when Lumberton was known as Chance/Loeb. My son in law is the youth director at Loeb Baptist. What area of Jasper is your club? I trap near Spurger/Fred...at Camp Branch Club. It is one lease off the Neches river, so we don't have access to the large sloughs. We should have some openings this year should you want to hunt/trap a little closer to home. Speaking of Spurger...do you know that Mott's Hardware store is listed by CASE KNIVES as their #1 store outlet in the catagory of "mixed merchandise" in the USA and are #3 behind #1 Smokey Mtn Knife Works and #2 Shepherd of the Hills? They generally have two knife shows each year, spring and fall. I usually attend and help with the Dutch Oven cooking and always make them a picture CD of the show. Marvin Mott (one of the co-owners) told me that he was not sure about the spring show this year.....some sort of scheduling problem. But if you ever get a chance, visit their store (either in Spurger or Kountze). Rusty Mott runs the one in Kountze. How many traps to you generally have set at one time? Do you do any trapping in the Lumberton area? Are you familiar with Moye's Taxidermy on hwy 69? One of the sons and I worked together for years on the railroad and I have a very nice deer mount by them. I think the youngest son (Michael) is the only one working there now. He was very good with bobcats. There is a lot of good game around Lumberton....there are just so many people there now! A friend of mine used to always have a couple of sets down on Village Creek. He also trapped off Lucas Road in Beaumont....now a lot of that area is under concrete. What type of work do you do? I have one son (40) who is a site supervisor for Daniel Construction out of Kountze and one (33) who works for ExxonMobil in Beaumont. Good to know there is another southeast Texan on this site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2008, 17:47 
Trapper
Trapper

swamp rat im 25 and lived in lumberton my whole life. i work for triple s construction as a pipefitter. im just getting into trapping i only had 6 traps out at a time this year to get the feel of it im not really prepared for a long line yet but hopefully i will next year. i plan on trapping on the little pine island corridor unit in the big thicket, i heard they give out trapping permits in october. my lease is down hwy 255 in jasper about 10 miles from lake sam rayburn. i have family thats lived in lumberton for a long time you might know some of them since lumberton was so small back then

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2008, 17:49 
Trapper
Trapper

does the motts hardware store sell trapping supplies

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2008, 19:35 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

I am not sure if they carry traps or not. They are listed as TKC Knives. They have a website, but I am not sure of the rules on this site, so I will refrain from posting it. Just call either store....Kountze should be a local call from Lumberton. I know the one in Spurger will surprise you with what they do have. I still would get online and look at what's over at R-P Outdoor Supply. I know they have most anything you want or need. When I do sell my small amounts of fur I usually end up coming home with more trapping equipment and lures and no money. But that is what it is all about. They also carry a large surplus of books and videos on trapping. They have all sorts of snaring equipment should that be your forte....from the cable up to the finished products. I saw they had a box or two of second hand traps when I was over the other day.

If you are looking to buy more equipment....look on Southeasttexas.com and see what they have listed for sale or trade. I think that is how it is listed....if not...send me a message later and I'll get it correct. There are good deals on there and you can even post what you WANT TO BUY. Can't beat that.

Start scouting now for next season. Do you get to trap over at Rayburn? I went over it today and it is low right now. I hear there are lots of otter that hang out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2008, 20:25 
Trapper
Trapper

never thought about trapping on rayburn i might look into that for next season. could i contact the texas parks and wildlife for information about trapping there. what would a membership cost to trap on your lease? we also lease from temple, we lease about 3,000 acres from them but its hard to trap there during the week because of work and school something closer sure would be nice. last couple of years ive seen alot more fox and coyotes than i usually do

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2008, 20:47 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

I think I am correct in saying our dues for next season is $575.00. I know they are set to go up again in a year.

Just call the TX P & W 1-800 number and ask someone in Austin about trapping along the shores of Rayburn. No need to tell them the specifics of what your target game is....just tell them furbearers. Sometimes the "law" is more of a problem than the "laws". You can get a good idea of what will be legal from the 1-800 number.

Is your lease on the east end or west end of hwy 255?

Like I mentioned before, you are around some good territories at Lumberton. Just get creative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2008, 21:05 
Trapper
Trapper

its on the east side. yeah im going to give it a try here in lumberton next season. have you ever trapped in lumberton? if you dont mind me asking, where did you live in lumberton?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2008, 22:12 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

I never lived in Lumberton...had friends that did. I lived in Silsbee and Fred.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2008, 22:18 
Trapper
Trapper

sorry swamp rat i misunderstood you. i appreciate all your advice

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2008, 09:19 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Hey TxTrapper-

When I know sometime in the future that I am going to be coming down that way, I'll get with you and see if we can "hook up" and maybe make a round in the Lumberton area and scout for trap setting sites for the next season. Plus, should you have the time next season and I have traps out, I'd be more than happy for you to run them with me. Only thing about that is.....if you get on my lease.....you have to agree to NOT come back on top of me and my sets. Sorry to say that, but I had a young man that I taught a lot about trapping and he was a family friend, just older than my eldest and I wasn't going to be trapping one season and told him he could use my old sets but that I'd be trapping the following season......but I couldn't start until two weeks into the season. Guess who had their traps at all of my old locations in those two weeks prior to my being able to trap? So, even though it sounds rude....I have to mention that with any one who goes with me. That young man and myself have never been 100% with each other since we had a discussion about the situation. He did the same sort of thing to me with a deer stand. But he is sort of a ALL FOR ME kinda fellow. He remains my eldest son's close friend. My wife contends I am rude, but I think being upfront avoids confusion later. But I would like to assist you in any way I can. I think you could do great around Lumberton....especially if you use 220 conibears. Put them out and then run them once you are off work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2008, 18:03 
Trapper
Trapper

swamp rat

i would really appreciate that. i know have a lot to learn and i dont know anyone near me who traps. i have a couple of videos but its not the same as actually getting out in the woods and gettin your hands dirty.

we need more experienced trappers like yourself to help all us beginers

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2008, 18:11 
Trapper
Trapper

i wouldnt do that to someone who took the time to teach me what he knew. if you ever meet me youll see im a straight up guy who can be trusted.

i was hoping you would offer something like that to me but i really didnt want to ask. so thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2008, 18:29 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Good. Sounds like we can work together on this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2008, 07:01 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

TxTrapper-

I just thought of another thing....if you talk with Marvin Mott or visit their store at Spurger, get the name of the young man that did some coyote trapping on their properties. I think they told me he caught at least 11 coyotes in and around Spurger. Maybe you could talk with the young trapper and find out what he is doing to make that many catches in that small of an area. Just thought I'd let you know about that. Later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2008, 21:13 
Trapper
Trapper

thanks swamp rat i just might do that

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2008, 11:04 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

TxTrapper-

Yesterday I made a quick trip down to my lease with my stepson to move one of his deer stands. On the trail we found signs of where a bobcat had recently eaten a rabbit....very fresh. It is easy to tell when it was eaten by a bobcat...they leave the paunch....most times the feet. This was so fresh it was still soft and damp. So, I have an idea where I may need to put some steel next season. Always on the lookout for good sign. We did get the stand relocted....no easy task for the two of us. We actually had not intended on moving it just yet...but things happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2008, 15:30 
Trapper
Trapper

i would love to catch a bobcat it really is a beautiful animal.

do bobcat pelts stil have to be tagged?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2008, 15:36 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

You know, I don't really know this year. I am pretty sure they do, they have required it for years. I caught 3, but am not selling the hides, so I didn't even check. It is aggravating to have to secure the tags for both otter and bobcats. Cats and otter are my favorite target animals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2008, 17:58 
Trapper
Trapper

swamp rat

is the texas fur-bearing animal regulations guide the only guide for trapping.