Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 19:28

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Martens
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2008, 13:38 
Trapper
Trapper

Anyone catching any martens yet? 8)Have 12 sets out but have not got any yet myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2008, 02:15 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Hi Garden Valley. Ive caught a few so far. Hope to catch many more when it snows & i can string line over the summits on my sled. Do you happen to know the Shepard family from around there? I use to work for Paul Sr. at the sawmill in Pollock & building their log homes before he became a representative. Glad to see more fellow idahoans are here. Good luck catching those marten. Regards,

YP

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2008, 12:53 
Trapper
Trapper

YP,don't know the Shepards,I moved my line the other day,still nothing,don,t know much about them but know that i am in the right location because i saw a lot of them during bear baiting season this spring.
Hay maybe i need to use donuts as that is what they were stilling from my bait cans. :shock: any way not giving up,what do you think need snow to get them or what.we don't have any yet,just thinking it might help :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2008, 19:26 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Hi Garden Valley,
Snow definitely plays a factor since it makes them easier to locate. When i can start cutting their tracks in fresh snow they will start piling up pretty quickly.

That 1st marten is always the hardest one to catch i've found. I went the 1st 2 weeks of this season with 18 sets out. (about 16 marten, & a couple water sets) They were spread out over 14 miles & i got no marten. It was raining & snowing & plain crappy out during that time i remember. I think maybe they just tend to hole up during crappy weather until it breaks & then wait for when the rodents become active again.

You might try placing your sets closer to the ground or on it. I find that is the best early on. Good luck. Regards,

YP

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Dec 2008, 22:10 
Trapper
Trapper

YP,I put my new sets a few feet off the ground and we will see what happens.We got a little snow over night on Monday and went up to check tonight,Tuesday and you are right,the tracks are all over the place,but they are all K-nine and all my footholds were frozen in,o-well did the resets and came on home.
I'm off from work the week of X-mas and am going to hit it hard! 9 day of fun on the mountain.
By the way if you don't mind telling,what do you use for bait for Marten?We don't have Beaver close by,and don't know of anything that might take the place of a good Beaver :lol:
Talk to you soon
Merry Christmas
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2008, 16:23 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Actually, i use whatever i can get ahold of since i go through alot of it. Right now im using up some stuff Dennis gave me (Rocky Mtn in Caldwell) but he would'nt tell me what was in it.

Ive also ground up livers, marten carcasses & freezer burnt stuff people discard or give to me for the dog...(lol, dont tell her that) ... bacon has worked, & so has the fast food bucket chicken...lol, as you can see, i've tried lots of stuff. Seems to me that any fairly fresh uncooked meat seems to be the most productive.

When i have the time to do it, i try to make a trip to the dam & catch all the suckers i can & freeze them cut up in baggies. A chunk of that is as good as beaver i believe. Something i forgot to mention about my set locations on a longline is that i like to place a trap at every ravine crossed that is a watershed heading towards the main, whether it has running water or not. These are little marten highways & sooner or later 1 will come by.

Sure hope your holidays are wonderful. Good luck trappin.

YP

PS Here's something i just thought of you might try. Im sure you have a transfer station for your dump much like ours...dumpsters in a semi- enclosed building. Great place to catch a marten. I usually catch 3 a year about 30 yrds from ours... :wink:

Last edited by YP_Legend on 28 Dec 2008, 15:23, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2008, 15:21 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Hey Garden Valley, how is the marten trapping going? Hope you had a great holiday. Finally warmed up here. Regards,

YP

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2009, 12:41 
Trapper
Trapper

YP,pulled the traps after Christmas,to much snow,had to snow shoe the line to get to them.
Got the snowgo stuck three times just getting off the main road :oops: :oops: snowing hear now,but hopping to maybe get things done and get back out this weekend :P .
Hope all is well and i need to find some beaver meat some were :idea:
Best of luck
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2009, 08:05 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Hi Garden Valley,
Weather's been a trapper's nightmare here. Below zero one day, raining the next, snowing the next. Every set i had out (which wasnt many) from x-mas to now has been frozen or worse. Pulled everything except for a few honey holes.

Was hoping to start stringing some out this morning in another drainage & start catching again, but as usual something else has come up now it looks that is going to require my immediate attention. I might actually get some iron out there before everything closes...hahaha

I too would like to get my hands on some beaver meat. There are very few this far upriver, & because of that i leave the couple ive found around here alone for the most part...besides invading their privacy checking them out like i was a 1st yr biologist or something. You might look on ebay & see what you can find as far as beaver meat goes. About 4 months ago i seen a guy trying to sell quite a few .lbs of frozen beaver castor for hardly anything at all. Darn near bid on it but was skeptical on what i would find in the mail. Seemed to good to be true. They also had other animal parts & pieces i can't remember right now but i know i was very surprised by the stuff i found there that could be used for trapping that people were trying to move. Hope is all is good in your neck of the woods. Regards,

YP

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2009, 19:27 
Trapper
Trapper

YP,how are you doing up there?been slow for me hear,been sick with something the docs.can't even find out with what.lots of blood work and a lot of pain,but i'll get through it i hope.just wondering how your doing?
Steve :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2009, 11:03 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Hi Garden Valley,
Sorry to hear your ill. Hope you get it diagnosed & get to feeling better soon. Been pretty slow here since ive been lazy & have only had a few unproductive sets out. Going out this morning to make 20 or so marten sets for the last 9 days of season. We'll see how that goes.

The Cascade/McCall boys averaged just under $26 ea. for their marten the other day from the buyer that comes through. He bought everything they had (about 120) so they arnt being picky as far as the marten are concerned. 2 friends of mine also had someone follow their trail that looked for & stole 11 traps they had set the day before for cats on the South Fork. Man...they were not happy let me tell you what.

You would'nt believe the wolves we have around here this winter. 2 packs i know of for sure with 9 each. Hear them almost every day from the yard now. When i was out trap checking not long ago i got a real big surprise when 1 of them come running down the road & tried to dash between me & my truck...:shock: i changed his mind rather quickly & sent him back in the direction he came from alot faster. Couldnt believe it. He was going to run by me & smile i think. Glad i had my dog in the truck since i just heard a friend recently lost his hound to them. Best regards & get well soon.

YP

Post subject: Re: Martens
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2011, 22:25 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Second year of trapping. Got a place by Donnelly and when i get the chance, i try for fox. I was AMAZED to find a martin in my fox set up when i went up after halloween this year! Ive only seen ONE in my life. well, now 2 =) Im new at this but fun as hell =)