Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 21:02

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anybody trapping beaver?
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2007, 13:01 
Trapper
Trapper

A buddy of mine called last week and asked if i would " do him a favor " and get rid of some beaver that are damaging his trout pond. We went to his camp in Bainbride, ny. to look things over the other day and found dam after dam and hut after hut. :D The whole valley is full of beaver :D Tim doesn't want to take a lot of them, just thin them out a bit. The season in that section runs until April 15 so we decided to wait a couple weeks until things open up a bit. Sick of chopping ice! Oh, The things we do for friends. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2007, 12:32 
Trapper
Trapper

I have some snares out for flattails now that there is some open water. One pond closes the 31st, and the second one (just across the district boundary) closes the 15th.

First time trying to snare beaver...not expecting great results, but it feels good to be trapping still.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2007, 21:51 
Trapper
Trapper

I wish we could use snares here in NY. The only experience I've had with them, was catching rabbits with wire, when I was a kid. ( I hope the statute of limitations is up on that ) :lol: I can see where they would be an asset and it would be nice to have that option. Good luck with the beaver. Keep us posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2007, 08:43 
Trapper
Trapper

The only thing you can snare in Maine is beaver...none on land either at trails between ponds. All underwater, but I can a lot of snares for the price of one 330.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2007, 09:57 
Trapper
Trapper

What type of sets are you using with them? Seems like a snare set in a channel would be a good bet. Do you use any at scent mounds? I suppose if they had to be completely submerged, you would have to use a dive pole. Like I said, if they were legal here, I'd really be interested in giving them a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2007, 15:38 
Trapper
Trapper

No scent mounds...snares have to be completely underwater at all times.

The spring thaw makes the water really high, so the channels are just as deep and wide as the middle of the pond almost. I have a few snares connected to a baited pole near a house. It is the same set-up as with under-ice snares.

I'll keep them running for a few days, then I need to pull them because I won't be able to check them for a while. Then I'll probably saturate the pond that closes in April unless someone beats me to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2007, 23:48 
Trapper
Trapper

Sounds good. Give 'em heck. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2007, 10:04 
Trapper
Trapper

Any new news MEtrapper? Season's over for me this year, so I'll have to trap vicariously through you. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2007, 20:29 
Trapper
Trapper

None from the pond that closed yesterday. I had a snare that had been knocked off, but it was empty. The beaver are still there though. Half a dozen trees had been brought down from shore.

In a few days I'll head to pond #2. A friend of mine who was fishing there today said the road was totally flooded out. He walked in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2007, 12:59 
Trapper
Trapper

I wish I was there to go with you. A little trout fishing doesn't sound bad either, now that you mention it. I't opened here yesterday, but
I wasn't able to get out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2007, 14:50 
Trapper
Trapper

A foot of new snow has put a hold on trapping and fishing for a few days...I just bought some new traps for beaver too.

I hate to say it, but I think I'm tapping out for the year...seven months to another season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2007, 13:06 
Trapper
Trapper

Sorry to hear about the weather. It snows a little here every day, but doesn't amount to much. Yes, It's a long time until next season. What kind of traps did you buy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2007, 13:48 
Trapper
Trapper

A couple of No. 4 4-coils. I'm working on finishing the set-up right now with drowning weights and either cable or chain drowners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2007, 14:22 
Trapper
Trapper

How do you like the drowning weights? I've always used a slide setup for my open water legholds. Either with a stake in deep water, or preferably one of the heavy poly feed bags with some rocks in it. The bags are handy to carry and I can usually find plenty of rocks below, or between dams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2007, 20:29 
Trapper
Trapper

The trouble is this. The ponds that the beaver I know are there generally don't have many rocks. Plenty of trees and stumps, but nothing heavy and suitable for weights.

That leaves me which making them (quick-crete with eyebolts), bringing in rocks or other weights with me, or relying on a tangle drowner stake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2007, 09:57 
Trapper
Trapper

I have that problem here once in a great while. I ordered a sled from Cabelas several years ago, that they sell as a duck hunting sled. Made for hauling decoys, etc. It comes in handy for lugging eqpt. in and beaver out.
When there is snow on the ground anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2007, 15:10 
Trapper
Trapper

In the late-late spring, all summer, and most of the fall, I can drive my car almost all the way to the water. For my winter trapping I'll snowshoe in and pull a sled like you suggested. Springtime is a toss-up...maybe snow or maybe mud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2007, 15:54 
Trapper
Trapper

It sure makes it handy if you can drive most of the way, especially if you have to carry weights. Then again, I'd be happy to carry two cement blocks in each hand and a packbasket full of #4 double longsprings if it meant that I could trap a little longer. The woodchucks are starting to look good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2007, 15:28 
Trapper
Trapper

I was thinking (always dangerous) about 5 gallon buckets for drowner set-ups. maybe a couple holes drilled through the cover and the sides, across from each other at the top.One set, to secure the cover with a piece of wire and the other to secure/ tie the slide wire to. They could be filled with mud or even water, where there are no rocks. They would be bulky, but three or four wouldn't weigh much. I'm going to experiment with this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2007, 18:43 
Trapper
Trapper

That's actually a pretty good idea Carnivore.

One gallon of freshwater weighs like 8 pounds, so a single 5 gallon pucket equals forty pounds of rocks/concrete/etc...and the stacked empty buckets would be a helluva lot lighter to carry in and out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2007, 21:28 
Trapper
Trapper

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Like I said, I'm going to experiment with one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2007, 11:05 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

MEtrapper wrote:
That's actually a pretty good idea Carnivore.

That IS a good idea. See if you can find black buckets too (I know they make them, I have a couple). Less likely for the passer-by to see under the water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2007, 15:53 
Trapper
Trapper

I didn't know they made them in black. Thanks for the contribution TrapperKD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2007, 15:59 
Trapper
Trapper

I'm not really a NE trapper, but check with you local truck service centers. Hydraulic fluid, transmission fluid, and gear lube all come in 5 gallon BLACK buckets and aren't too hard to clean out. I use them for my 220 bucket sets for coons

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2007, 16:31 
Trapper
Trapper

I've a bunch of 'em around the skidder's off logging roads...they'd work too. Thanks.