Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 06:49

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2012, 03:07 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

I use my Tomahawk and belt axe to fleshing if you have not tried this think about it one can't always carry a fleshing tool with you this way you can always fleshing you fur where you are at all you need is a Tomahawk or belt axe and a flat fleshing board yes is will sometimes take a little practice but not much.
I fear the younger trappers are losing the old ways and need to learn how to do it without the machine and other tools.
Just take the axe and slide it down the shin at 45 degree angle and watch the fat and other peel right off your fur as for myself well to be totally up front I have never used anything by my axes and I fleshing Muskrat and alike with ice cream stick.
Many times while out over night I need to stretch these furs so I use two 1 inch thick saplings cut off is a 45 angle pull together and wire now pull fur down over this and pin next day take off with it as I run a line one way today and run it all the back again heading home.
Any one on a long line will tell you the last thing you want or need is to carry a lot of bodies with you so I do a shin job right then and there and put all animal bodies in one large pile with traps set many meat eaters will come calling and add to your fur check.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2012, 14:36 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Good info Winterhawk Cote. I don't have a tomahawk, but I do have a trapline hatchet that I often use for a fleshing tool.