Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Nov 2017, 14:38

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The New Guy
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2012, 22:25 
Trapper
Trapper

Hi everyone, I just joined and wanted to say hello to all of you in this forum. Im from NH and im new to trapping so any tips or advice would be awsome! Unfortunatly Im learning all aspects of trapping on my own I dont know anyone to "mentor" me so to speak. I have a 2yr old and a 5yr old and I work 2 hrs away so getting out this trapping season has been impossible for me but i read everything I can online or magazines and Im always watching trapping videos on you tube. Im dying to get out there and try my luck. I wanted to focus on coon and fisher when I first took the course because I use to have alot around my area but now I also wanna try for beaver. If anyone is close by to NH and wouldnt mind if I watched you go through the skinning process the proper way one day and/or wouldnt mind taking me along on your trapline just for the experience one day thatd be awsome, Id be extremely grateful!!! Its difficult trying to learn form magazines and youtube videos. I look forward to chatting more and hearing what you all have for advice and hearing about yout trapping stories.

Post subject: Re: The New Guy
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012, 17:04 
Trapper
Trapper

Hi Dgill,
I am in Northern Maine, about 8 hours from you. We are playing with beaver this winter with just four sets out right now. I do alot of traveling during the winter for our business so I can not really go that hard. Hopefully next year going to have more time as I want to get 100 or more beaver in a season.

Keep us posted as to how you are doing.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2012, 08:14 
Trapper
Trapper

Hi Muskiemoose,
Wow are you up right next to canada? Do you like trapping beaver in the winter must be hard work cutting thru all the ice ! Beaver just seem like a fun animal to trap, putting on waders and making the castor mounds and stuff. I need to get out and scout for areas. Asking for permission to trap on peoples land is the last thing I wanna do hahaha I always feel as tho everyone will say no way! But hopefully I will have more time this summer to scout out good areas. My uncle has a beaver pond out behind his house a ways. We take the four wheelers out there when we ride but I dont know who owns it and I dont know how to find out. Its right along the powerlines so maybe it owned by the telephone company? Its a really nice area and theres always beaver in there but we will see I guess! Have a good day!

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2012, 13:07 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Welcome to the boards. Im down by West Point. This is my first year and I have been focusing on land sets. Next year I hope to do some water lines as a have good rat and mink streams around. Gonna buy some coni's with my fur check this summer. I have small kids also and can only run a small line around my home. Mostly woods which is why Im having difficulty with the k-9;s I think.

Live Free or Die