Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 06:38

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2010, 12:45 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Hi. I'm new to trapping and i've got a question that seems beyond google so i joined this forum to ask some people who might know what they're talking about. First, some background.... I'm from RI but i'm moving to northern Maine around late spring/early summer with my friend who just purchased 20 some odd acres. There's a brook running along the edge of the property.
This is probably an unusual topic. Our plan is to live off the land as much as possible, and, as that is the case, I want to make the land more 'efficient' at supporting smaller game in whatever way i can. (it seems relatively empty of life, even at the brook.)
I was hoping the people here might have some ideas to get some squirrels in the trees and beaver/muskrat in the water. Maybe you have some trick (like birdhouses for squirrels? I don't really know what I'm expecting.) or otherwise can tell me if people ever "stock" game animals like they do with fish.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2010, 14:22 
Trapper
Trapper

You can stock rabbits( check with local conservation officials ). If this property has a stream that contains fish, crawfish, salamander ect.. then it also holds wildlife (ai..coon,fisher,mink ect..) I have to say I admire the idea of living of the land and can honestly say the thought crossed my mind years ago when i wasn't married and had three children. I wish you the best of luck and I'm sure that you will have some really great reply's on here due to the knowlege of the other people on here.

1-skunk
10-grey fox
1-red fox
0-marshrats
0-mink
0-coyotes

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2010, 15:11 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Food and cover will bring animals to your property. Some people live trap animals and release them on thier land. You have to be wary of disease and overloading your land. You probably have more animals than you realize.

Food- Nut producing trees, food plots, wild berries

Cover- brush piles, clear cuts that you let grow back wild, overgrown fence rows

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2010, 00:10 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Welcome to the Forum Aqua Vitae (water of life?), how do two of you intend to "live off the land" other than eating a few squirrels....farming or such? Is there lodging on the place? Access to clean drinking water, any power source.....or are you going to just be "primitive dwellers"? Sounds interesting, keep us posted.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2010, 03:17 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

thanks for the ideas and the welcome.
No, we weren't planning on living off of squirrels. I acquired a bunch of 6-foot chain link in an effort to make some portion of the land more coyote proof. In that area we intend to raise chickens, ducks, rabbits (whatever works out really) and grow whatever we can. I've also been told that I could probably get a lot of potatoes cheap to free from the nearby farmers after they send the harvester through.
So far with lodging we have 3 campers parked on the plot, one which has a wood stove, and more on the way. We also have a decent pile of wood built up. We're going to put up a bunch of solar panels too.
As far as water goes, in my opinion the water from the brook is good enough for me, but we're going to have a well dug anyway I think.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2010, 08:39 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

i know ppl raise pheasant, quail, chuckers and release them on there property for hunting season but they wont ever live through winter though

Check out my you tube page!!! alot of the stuff i learned on here i have made video's of them ..... http://www.youtube.com/user/ski31989?feature=mhee

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2010, 20:19 
PSYCHO SASQUATCH
PSYCHO SASQUATCH

Wow... well, the land probably isn't as devoid of life as you think. If you start raising chickens, you'll find that out soon enough. That chainlink will probably keep out the yotes, fishers, and foxes, but weasels will fit in there....

As for attracting critters to the land to hunt, I agree with what has been said, cover and food. Keep us posted on how things go. Just remember, winter in Maine is a heck of a lot more harsh than RI....

Lifetime:
Red Squirrel- 4 (in the garage)
Beaver- 1
Coyote- 1
Fisher-3
Raccoon- 3
Red Fox- 1
Skunk-1
My left index and middle finger in a 110
Left hand in a 220

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2010, 11:21 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Good luck with this endevor. Many before you have tried this with mixed results. First of all you CANNOT introduce (stock) animals, there are substantial monatary penalties for this. Second nothing in northern Maine is devoid of wildlife. Just because you don't see them doesnt mean nothing is there. A water source in northern Maine is a sure bet to hold and attract coons, fishers, pine martin, mink and assorted other fur bearers.
I will caution you that 20 acres really isn't that much land if a group is planning to live off the land as you suggest. How much of this land is clear and how much is forested? What are these ducks and chickens going to eat? Did you know that chickens will stop producing eggs in the winter? I don't mean to be a "negative Nancy" but a lot of homework, research and perhaps trial and error should occur before moving headlong into this idea. I wish you luck but I really don't want to see anyone get hurt or worse by going in unprepared.

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2010, 11:31 
Well said crimefighter :P

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2011, 18:38 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Haven't heard back from you A.V. Wondering how your endevor is going?

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2012, 09:47 
Trapper
Trapper

Pretty much all I was going to add has been said. Water is always an attraction to many animals (including you). So as stated, probably more there than you know about or have seen. Cover is obviously another need of wildlife so those suggestions should be considered for sure. If you have the money, food plots would certainly help keep game in your area. Lot of things to take into account before doing something like this. I have contemplated it myself at least a few times. Wish you the best on your journey and would love to hear how you are doing.

Coyote -
Bobcat -
Fox -
Mink -
Muskrat -
Marten -
Fisher -
Grinners -
Stinkers -
Fingers - 2 (good thing it was only a 110 lol)