Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 23:38

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rubber Jawed traps
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2011, 08:21 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I was wondering what yall used brand wise and do you like them. I use mainly duke traps, but the #3s take alot of modifying to get them right. All the other duke traps a good in my opinion. Anyone tried the MB550 rubber jawed traps. I know MBs are supposed to be good. I was just wondering if the did good on the rj traps.

Post subject: Re: Rubber Jawed traps
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2011, 10:09 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I also use dukes. All of my traps are dukes except for about a dozen my dad had from when he used to trap and they arent rubber jawed. I dont have any #3s either. I have never really heard much about the MBs. All the trappers from the middle TN area dont even use legholds much. They all prefer conis and snares so i dont hear many other opinions on other brands of legholds except when Im on here lol

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2011, 15:59 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

In #3s..i can mod with 4 swivel points, add a victor shock spring and 4 coil and still have 15- 16 dollars in the trap. I 4 coil them cuz i dont think they would be much of a yote trap without it. Also they are easy to center swivel cuz they already have a hole in bottom. You just gotta finifh drilling it out. I was just wondering if the other brands were worth the extra money...lol...maybe i am getting a little lazy lol.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2011, 11:27 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

MB 550's are right around that same price for 4 coiled cast jaws (17.50 each). The 4 coiled rubber jaws are 18.50 each. A little more than what you say you are gonna pay for the ones you would modify, but with the MB's there is no time involved, straight out of the box and they are ready to go. Your time to modify and tinker with traps is valuable, so it just comes down to if it is worth an hour or two of modifying, to save a dollar or two.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2011, 11:26 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I am actually starting to enjoy tinkering with traps, but i was still thinking about the mb550 traps for durability. Would them traps be any good for holding coyote and cats. On another note I have had problems with 4 coiling victor soft catch #3s. The levers are jamming up on the jaws. Dukes seem to take em fine though. I use the jc conner kits. I have tried the beefer springer kits and dont like them. Had to put on and to strong...The strength is insane and i believe would eventually damage the trap.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2011, 13:07 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

The 550's are plenty good for 'yotes and 'cats, their jaw width is big enough and they are very strong. Cats really don't fight much in the trap, so they aren't near as hard to keep in if you are using a trap that gets enough of their paw in the trap. Coyotes are a different story, but the 550 still has plenty of strength. The 550's are also heavy built which helps with coyotes who like to chew and won't take any tinkering which is nice. I personally recommend the cast jaws instead of the rubber jaws (as I feel that rubber jaws undermine trapping in general, but that is a different discussion), plus the cast jaws are cheaper which makes it even a little more of a deal. The one thing I'm not too hip on the 550's is the dog. For cat's I prefer a dogless trap, as a trap with a dog will eventually cost you cats from stepping on the dog and the pan (it doesn't happen often at all, but eventually it will). However, we are still planning on getting some more 550's, they are a very good trap to own.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2011, 13:57 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

i dont like rubber jaws either. The flex in the rubber adds to pullouts in my opinion. Bu tn laws states that in trap aint in the water it has to have rubber jaws.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2011, 14:00 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Also every critter seems to chew the pads so you have to constantly change them out. Sucks when a coon chews the pad out and you have to pull set after one catch. It dont always happen but it does fairly often.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2011, 16:12 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

That really sucks. Isn't it fun what anti's can get passed to hinder us trappers? I can't believe the trap makers even started making rubber jaws on traps. Anti groups started fighting against the trap makers saying that the traps were inhumane, so instead of showing people that traps aren't inhumane, they folded, and started making rubber jawed traps. This paints the picture that trap compainies know traps are inhumane and that is why they went ahead and put rubber on the jaws. Trappers as a whole know that traps aren't inhumane, but rubber jawed traps are nothing but thorns in our side and they will always be used against us.