Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 16:39

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: beaver questions
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2011, 11:31 
-do they really slap their tail on the water? cause i heard some loud splashes like cannonballs hitting the water then saw a beaver swimming away.

-can u set a large connibear or no.3 leg trap on a trail where the beavers r coming up the levee out of the water & catch them? cause i seen where black leaves were pulled up from the ponds bottom & dragged up the bank.

-do they eat sardines or fish? cause i was gonna bait the trap i set.

-can u hunt them in the mornings or evenings & have success? i heard they was nocturnal

-will they fit in a live trap? lol

i will take some pictures tomorrow & put them on here to show the trail, pond, levee, & other activity. ive never got a beaver before. thanks for yalls help

Post subject: Re: beaver questions
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2011, 18:29 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

-Yes, beaver slap their tails to warn others of possible danger. It is usually pretty loud lol

-Yes. I would recommend the coni over the leghold though. Thats just from my experience. Snares work great too.

-You probably wont get a beaver bait5img with sardines. they are primarily herbivores. They will occasionally eat mussels or crayfish for protein however, but not very commonly. You would be much better off using corn as bait. using castor as lure would be the best for that kind of set.

-I always see more beaver in the evenings. Beaver are primarily nocturnal and are on the move a lot at night working and/or eating.

- I have never personally caught a beaver in a cage trap, but i have always wanted to try. I have seen it done though. If you have a big enough cage you should be able to do it.

I hope this info helps you.

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2011, 06:27 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

best thing in my opinion is bait poles. Just shave some bark off of small saplings and put them where the beaver can see it. If you have the a trail blinds sets will work well. If you gonna use conibear traps, get a log to set over top of it to make them dive into the trap. I have had many try and climb over my conibears. They end up setting them off without being in it. It is also a good idead to shove sticks in the ground to the sides of the trap to force them through.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2011, 15:07 
thanks for the answers yall. i cant wait to get the traps out & take pictures for u to see. i havent had the chance to go in the woods lately like i wanted. instead me, my dad, & sister ran off to charleston, s.c. for the weekend. no turkeys but we got some redfish. oh & i found the gator i want to go bowfishing for lol he really is albino
ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2011, 19:33 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Cool sounds like u had fun. Good luck on the beaver. They are fun to trap. Remember to keep glands. They worth some money if you dont make your own lure.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2011, 12:36 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

looks like a great trip CC

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1