Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 15:05

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: turtle trapping
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2011, 15:44 
does anyone turtle trap. lol it seems like it might b fun. ive done seen them turtles in swamps laying out on logs basking. i call them stink jennies. lol i heard someone else say it 1 time. they told me their not good to eat or nothing & that ur hands will stink after handling them. i looked up traps to buy & their to high for me. i will prolly try to build 1 on my own using their designs. the traps r really neat. they look to work well. my favorite is the ramp type.
http://www.texastastes.com/p239.htm

Post subject: Re: turtle trapping
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2011, 16:51 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I try to eliminate the snappers from our ponds every year. We eat them. I either just shoot them or use trotlines/limb lines. I have never tried a turtle trap though. I have thought about making one or just using conibers or even legholds.

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2011, 21:07 
i can remember skinning a loggerhead & softshell when i was little. im sure we ate it but i cant remember the taste or anything. i will try to eat 1 this year again. lol i didnt want to b the 1st to speak of eating them. lol leg traps or connibears would b funny to catch them with. by the way the wierdest thing i ever ate was a muskrat when i was little from my 1st trapline when i was about 6th grade.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2011, 21:36 
Trapper
Trapper

Hello, there are many ways to catch them. One way is to make a net, which I use to do. You are not too far from me, and if you want to do that let me know, and I can show you how to do that. Someone will need to show you the knot, or you wont be able to do it. It is just like a hoop net, but part of the holding area has to be above the water line..state law. I just got rid of my hoop steel the other day...... had I known I would have given you enough to make a few nets.....but you can make them out of several things,.. anyway, if you are interested, pm me, and we can talk.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2011, 09:43 
sounds cool. i would like to build a net. i sent a pm.