Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 15:38

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone catching now.....
PostPosted: 27 Dec 2010, 21:44 
Trapper
Trapper

Is anyone doing any good now? I am just about to set some this weekend, and was curious how the fur is now. It was warm so long, I did not want to waste my time on hides that were not ready. I know there has to be more from Tennessee that trap...... or hope so anyway.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2010, 16:32 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Trapping is good here in Cheatham County. Lots of coons and beaver and the fur is prime. There's a few more grinners than i like to see though :shock:. The weather here has been great too. It's the best trapping season I have ever had.

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2010, 16:39 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Fur seems good. Its only my first season. Im trying to adjust to the frozen ground one day, and a dang muddy bog the next. I am ready for the deer hunters to be out of the woods.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2011, 02:39 
Trapper
Trapper

I talked to my friend and the had a couple of coons and he said they were still blue..... go figure. That was two weeks ago but he figures they will be fine now................

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2011, 09:09 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Catman50plus wrote:
I talked to my friend and the had a couple of coons and he said they were still blue..... go figure. That was two weeks ago but he figures they will be fine now................

To be blue this late in the season, they must have been suckler sows. :?

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2011, 18:46 
Trapper
Trapper

Swamp Rat, that info is 2 weeks old now. It has been hot here, a long time, and really just getting cool. He also said that a beaver that he had the fur was just not right on it yet either. I figure it is just the weather, but who knows.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2011, 23:49 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

We have a short fur season here due to the heat and humidity.....a long season (5 months) but only about 6 weeks of good fur. By the end of this month they will start breeding and fighting then the rubs will start to be common. I plan to go day after tomorrow and camp for several days and get in a bit of trapping before that all starts.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2011, 09:58 
Trapper
Trapper

Swamp Rat, we are going out this weekend to set out again. I have my helper all healed up, and now he is mad at them too, so looks like war is declared on the flat tails. Now they are calling for snow, and maybe several inches. I have worked in your state a few times w orking fires, and do understand the reason for the short time you have prime, or close to it. LOL, the last time, I was based in San Angelo, and worked from Del Rio, to a couple hours north of San Angelo, and west to Fort Stockton. It was warm there, and having farmed, got a kick out of them telling me they baled hay at night. Needless to say, I learned a lot then.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 08:26 
Trapper
Trapper

Well it was sure cold when we set out, and did get 3 330s out, ice got us....... did have one adult beaver, and one trap tripped. Looks like there may be an otter there too, so that will be next on the list, and the rats that we found. Low water sure helps to see the dens in the bank....... going to be cold rest of the week, and will hit it again this weekend if not too bad, but the war will start the next weekend, with the holiday.... oh, got a bunch of snares, figure we can finish up this project then......... and then move half a mile to the creek they all came from.........................

It has been great having someone with me, that wants to learn, and that he is doing! While driving stakes, he spotted some new mounds along the run, right by the set...... I guess I was fixed on getting the set right in my mind, and didn't pay attention.....

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2011, 23:27 
Trapper
Trapper

Well, we got set on Sat, and didnt do any good till Monday, did get one coon, not the 5 beaver I expected.... oh well. On Tuesday though, did wind up with a beaver in a coon set, go figure..... was set on a log, and had him in his front foot. Guess he was climbing up on the log to get a better smell of the vanilla I put out.... Ice is forcast for tonight, so yall look out up in east part.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2011, 17:24 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I have been doing real good on beaver trapping. I have been getting one a day everyday here lately and I'm only setting one 330. I haven't been doing very well on coons though. I have only caught 3 since new years.

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2011, 13:26 
Trapper
Trapper

Well made a few sets yesterday, and hope to have a few today........ Them otter have got to go!!! They are eatting big fish now.
Maybe the beaver have relaxed a little from the education they have gotten. Leg holds will be the next thing, and snares too for sure since I made me up some cable stakes. Man, I like these things!!!

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2011, 14:31 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Coon trapping has picked up. I have caught ten in the last week :D Im am done with beaver trapping for the year. I ended up with 25 beaver this year. Im hoping to get 45 coons before season ends on Monday.

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011, 21:25 
Trapper
Trapper

WP, things have slowed here some.... LOL, the otters have moved again, but the beaver also got tired of the conis, and missing relatives, and now have it down to 5 at the most beaver left.......... but that will go down shortly. The next setting is going to be with some of everything, to finish up the job.