Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 20:42

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coyote hunting
PostPosted: 13 May 2009, 13:38 
Trapper
Trapper

my dad and i are going to start hunting coyotes and i have no idea what gun to use when to hunt or what kind of place to hunt in. any tips are nice

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2009, 17:53 
PSYCHO SASQUATCH
PSYCHO SASQUATCH

The only guns I've ever used on 'yotes have been a 12 gauge and a .30-.30. I've had friends hunt with me use .22 hornets, .223, and a .308 Lots of talk about .220 swifts, .22-.250, etc. I'm looking at buying a .223 since it's effective, shouldn't destroy a fox or cat, and the ammo is cheaper than the others.

Lifetime:
Red Squirrel- 4 (in the garage)
Beaver- 1
Coyote- 1
Fisher-3
Raccoon- 3
Red Fox- 1
Skunk-1
My left index and middle finger in a 110
Left hand in a 220

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2009, 19:33 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Ive used about everything that shoots for canine's etc. Alot depends on how much you want to spend? New England fire arms makes the handi rifles that are real good buys. We just bought a .243. Theres several of the combo deals that you can get 2, 3 or even 4 barrels in a deal. For serious yote hunting I'd go with .22-250, .222, .223/5.56, .243, .250 etc. If hide saving isnt an issue the bigger the better. The 30 cal's are good, .300, .30-06 etc New .30-30 leverolution cartridges ought to be good too. I like the .223's also due to ammo availabilty and price etc. Some of the 5.56/.223 stuff can be rather hard to find with the bulk going to the land of the sands right now. Alot of people are excited over the .17's but from what Ive seen they are rather light for yotes. Our local Dunhams has a combo deal right now for less then $200, its plain jane but looks like a good deal to me. .22 rimfire barrel, .243 and 12 or 20 ga tube. Its a synthetic stock but if your pinching pennies? Buddy bought the 2 barrel deal of a .410 with a .22 barrel for $120. I'd decide how much you want to spend and go from there. Yotes can be found just about anywhere in their home range. We prefer more open areas cause they can sneak up on ya. During the day decoys work good for them IF they havent been over exposed/hunted before. If your in cover/brush its hard to beat a 12 or even 10 ga shotgun loaded with heavy 3"-3 1/2" copper plated 2's, BB's or no.4 buck,000 buck if legal for you. Several gunmakers make single shot shotguns way under $150 and most go for a $100 or less. Nephew has a 12 ga 3" full choke camo turkey gun that does nicely as a fill in yote gun(and its heck on ducks too!).

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2009, 08:21 
PSYCHO SASQUATCH
PSYCHO SASQUATCH

I've not got a .17, but from what I see and hear, they're okay for yote, so long as they're close and you have really good shot placement. One of the more recent problems was that the DOD would sell used brass to ammo manufacturers for sale to the public. That's been changed, so the supply of .223 should go back up a bit.

Also, don't know where you are Tommy, but here in the east, quite often it's hard to get a yote to come out into a field since most of ours are circled by trees. I tend to find a place with some kind of barrier behind me, wind in my face, in the treeline, but close enough to see into the field. I've shot more that have been inside the treeline by about 5-10 yards than have been in the field, except when hunting at night, they get a little more brave.

Lifetime:
Red Squirrel- 4 (in the garage)
Beaver- 1
Coyote- 1
Fisher-3
Raccoon- 3
Red Fox- 1
Skunk-1
My left index and middle finger in a 110
Left hand in a 220

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jun 2009, 19:47 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Its amazing how adaptable they are. From wilderness to downtown Chicago they can be found. They are listed by many as carnivourus but from what Ive seen they are omnivoruos. An educated one is one of the hardest critters to take whether its in a trap or by gun. Very few out of the ones Ive ever taken could I consider easy. Ive had them jump at 50 yards when the safety came off or the hammer was cocked. Then Ive had them walk right into a treestand setup and lay down almost touching the ladder.

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada