Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 20:37

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fun little tool
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2006, 12:54 
When I go predator hunting, I take a long a 'crazy cat' toy that I have. It's battery powered. Got it about 5 years ago at a petstore in Lewisburg, WV. Anyway, it's got a little fluffy thing on the end that it whips around for your cat to swat. I replaced the fluffy thing with a white furry mouse that I got from the petstore, and place my speaker nearby.

The visual attraction of the white fluffy thing flipping around, with the distressed cottontail screaming through the speaker seems to really work wonders, and it costs less than half of what the other decoys in the magazines cost. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2006, 14:24 
Trapper
Trapper

That sounds like a good idea for a decoy.

I don't use decoys too often, I always keep one with me when I call though. Sometimes I want the coyote's attention directed somewhere else.

I use the Whirling Woodpecker when I want a decoy emoloyed. It's got one wing that spins around and a clip that hooks to a branch. Small light weight and easy to haul around. It runs on a AA battery.

It works great even when using rabbit sounds. It'll hold a coyote's attention with plenty if time for a shot in most cases.

Brad

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2006, 11:17 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

I like hearing about those improvised little gadgets that people come up with. That's a great idea, Lil Bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2006, 22:13 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

I read where you can use a frisbee up-side down to put the "decoy" in, lets it roll around alittle but keeps it in one spot. I'm still looking for one of those so I can try it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2006, 22:52 
ooo like one of those rollin' weasel balls? I LOVE THOSE THINGS!!!! I wonder if maybe one of those dish sleds would be better to give it more room to roll around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2006, 08:35 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Yep, the sled would give more room to roll but, I'm not sure I want to carry one around, already think I pack too much crap around. Frisbee is small and light-weight, fits in a backpack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2006, 10:04 
This is true.