Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 16:08

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2007, 11:47 
Trapper
Trapper

I have lived & trapped in Minnesota and now reside in Idaho. The trapping conditions are similar to Minn. or for that matter, the entire Northern part of the U.S. Frozen ground has always been a chore to work with. To combat this problem, I had to adapt. Some situations call for the use of drags. I generally only use these where trap thieves, or passer-by may get "sticky fingers" and run off with prior day efforts. However, I am not fond of looking for an animal once it is caught. It might be exhilarating but it is also time consuming. Which brings me to the heart of the matter. Though I am in my 40's, I'd say I have modernized my methods a bit. Instead of traditional rebar or iron stakes, I now use disposable fox hollow bullet stakes with 18 inch cable. These can be seen and bought on Ebay by typing this number: 280078944633 in the search engine. A specially designed driver (shown) can be purchased from him as well. Though I bought mine for just a 'lil over a buck a piece, you may want to see if you can find cheaper than what is being listed now. Still, if the ground is too solid, I use an extended 14" wood spade drill bit to pilot a hole. Actually I own two. One 1" for the size of these stakes and another (special order), 3" spade for drilling my dirt holes. I carry a well charged battery packed drill to accomplish this task. In the photo you will see I also use an "all-purpose" trowel/spade/hammer. This tool needs no explanation other than I would be lost without it. Hopefully these tips can be of some use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2007, 20:08 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks for the info. I was really wanting to get into stakes a little more for next season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2007, 21:21 
Trapper
Trapper

No problem,, I have trapped a lot. The Arizona, Utah, Nebada desert for that matter, requires double staking. There are no two ways about it. My method for that frost bite country, requires a devised plan. So far, it has worked wonders for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2007, 22:36 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

man that part with the drill is a great idea..lol i wonder why i have never thought of it. would make things alot easyier in the winter around here you can bet

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2007, 22:51 
Trapper
Trapper

Nutz, when double staking, does that simply mean anchoring 2 different stakes in, and are both connected to the trap, but have their separate holes (say are 3 or 4 inches apart)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2007, 23:22 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Creek Traps wrote:
Nutz, when double staking, does that simply mean anchoring 2 different stakes in, and are both connected to the trap, but have their separate holes (say are 3 or 4 inches apart)?
yep thats it all right

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2007, 15:13 
Trapper
Trapper

Yes, generally I criss-cross my stakes, driving them at a 45' angle. A double plated stake swivel washer is best with these. One trap is attached to this swivel.