Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 19:57

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2007, 17:34 
Trapper
Trapper

You can imagine my surprise as I walked up to this set and found Mr. Marten there alive to greet me. Caught in Idaho Dec. 14 '06 near the Salmon river. My guess is, he hadn't been in the trap very long as the temp was in the 'teens and the bait/bucket undisturbed. Call me human or just the age creeping up on me but the few martens I do catch alive, leave me choked up as I say a prayer during the dispatch. Anyone ever get emotional, or am I the only one (who admits it)? Minutes later, the trapping Spirit arouses me and I am back on the snowmobile breaking new ground. Stay tuned,,, there are more marten photos & stories to come. Cheer - Randy

Last edited by Nutz4TrapN on 05 Apr 2007, 15:40, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2007, 17:59 
Trapper
Trapper

Hello.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2007, 18:34 
Was he not caught right, or what? He doesn't look the least bit uncomfortable or restrained in those pictures. What kind of trap is that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2007, 18:41 
Trapper
Trapper

Hello to you as well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2007, 18:56 
Trapper
Trapper

I have mixed feelings when it comes time to dispatch or after I pull the trigger on a deer.
I will kneel and look the animal over, kinda pat it like a dog, say a few kind words and thank God I`m able to be out there.
I
don`t have to catch or shoot anything, just being out messing around is a reward.
I
started thinking this way around 30yrs old, before that I really had no remorse for what I done.
So
yes it all comes with age Randy, your just a good human :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2007, 18:58 
Trapper
Trapper

Yes he was caught

Last edited by Nutz4TrapN on 07 May 2009, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2007, 19:57 
Trapper
Trapper

Robert wrote:
I have mixed feelings when it comes time to dispatch or after I pull the trigger on a deer.
I will kneel and look the animal over, kinda pat it like a dog, say a few kind words and thank God I`m able to be out there.
I
don`t have to catch or shoot anything, just being out messing around is a reward.
I
started thinking this way around 30yrs old, before that I really had no remorse for what I done.
So
yes it all comes with age Randy, your just a good human :)

I feel the same way Robert. When I shot my first turkey I felt mixed inside while it was flopping on the ground for 5 minutes. Same way even when I shoot something small such as a rabbit.

I find no joy in dispatching an animal, but I know it is all for a good cause, which in turn makes me feel better. To me hunting is way different then dispatching a trapped animal. When I'm getting ready to pull the trigger, or release the arrow, I don't feel as bad, because it is the moment that I have been pursuing that whole day, week, etc. It is what I have been waiting for the whole time.

Sure, trapping is similar. You set a trap in hopes of catching an animal, and when you have, you have to dispatch it. To me, looking down a barrel at an animal that does not know it, is totally different than looking down the barrel at an animal that is looking straight at you.

I just try to do it the quickest to ensure I don't have time to second guess myself. Once I do it, I do feel bad, but also proud.

Last edited by Creek Traps on 11 Mar 2007, 16:44, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2007, 21:01 
Trapper
Trapper

do you feel bad about the kill? I don't feel bad about harvesting an animal but hey if I don't make a perfect and ethical shot I feel horrible but when I see that arrow go where I want it there isn't any better feeling. It is very rewarding. Now with trapping, I do hope that most of the animals are done and gone when I get there. I don't use many foot holds so this is often for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2007, 21:04 
Why do you think it caught him poorly? Too much play with the trigger?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2007, 21:17 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I never like it but I just think of somthing else or about the next set . I tried to let a coon go ther other day but I didn't bring the catch pole . I almost fell on the coon . I looked him over as best I could as it was a mile to the car. fur was good so I took him home with me.Its always easy but never easy. I Think if there are some taken that the rest of the population becomes healthier. there is always joy in that. I don't do this for the kill . I love to trap and always will just have to learn to control your feelings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2007, 21:58 
Trapper
Trapper

I once caught a coon in a live trap but I didn't want to kill him. So I tied a string to the door latch and got in a tree above the trap. When I pulled the door open the coon walked right up to the tree I was in and started to chase me farther up. Luckily he got bored and turned around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2007, 22:13 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Robert i will have to agree with you on the 30 thing its not all about the kill for me anymore. i don't feel the same about it as i did when i was younger. Now i look at as mangement. i turned small coons loose this year as i didn't feel the need. and to think i am only 31.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2007, 23:36 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks Robert and the rest who have set my mind at ease. In my early years, it never bothered me. But of course, I had been absent from the trapline since my high school years, only to start up a year ago. As with most Wilderness, survival has no boundaries. We trap to experience what others can only imagine. The breath taking landscape views, animal behavior without captivity, the sense of belonging to a heritage that began some several centuries ago. At the end of an exhausting trapline day, I still smile and look forward to the next crisp, cool morning with anticipation and perhaps a distant howl. What a wonderful world we live in; and a special rare breed we are. Again thanks to all who respond.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2007, 23:36 
Trapper
Trapper

i think any one with any kind of ethics feels a little remorse when they come up on a animal thats still alive but i always try my best to make sure the animal is dispatched in a humane way and that always brings some peace of mind knowing i did all i could to limit any suffering and i thank the LORD for allowing me one more day on this earth and all HIS blessings

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2007, 11:47 
Trapper
Trapper

ImageImage

I thought I'd add a few more live shots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2007, 15:03 
Trapper
Trapper

I think we all have great respect for the animals. I had problems with a wolverine this year. SHot it and it did not die. only had one bullet left from the three day trip. Had to go hand to claw with it and that was not easy. Short of it is, I won, but wish it would have been faster. Things like that make you change your behavior.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2007, 15:38 
Trapper
Trapper

Exactly Slamon. This past season it was just the live marten I first posted that did what your wolverine did (minus the bullet). He just would not die. And because of the lengthy effort to dispatch him, I did feel some remorse. However, I learned to deal with it better. I do praise the lord for each catch and the experience & wisdom gained from it. Thanks for sharing that imput. I know now we all deal with it in our own way.