Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 18:34

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: freeze proofing sets
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2006, 01:42 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

it came up in another thread alittle so since we dont have one i thought i would start a thread on it.so lets here it about how you freeze proof a set,and let's here about the condions you face on your trap line,here in kansas we get pretty cold weather in the winter,but we see alot of freezing then thawing action,so i always wax a pile of dirt,and i will always use some sort of other antifreeze,just not the liqiud kind,the hard pellet kind works best for me.these two together keep my sets working in kansas

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2006, 10:14 
Well, wax dirt is an oldie but a goodie. John likes to use salt, but I don' tlike how it eats up my traps after they are set off a couple of times. I'm going to do peatmoss this year.

The big thing for me is letting the water have a place to go when it thaws. So I try to dig a little trench or some holes for it to travel down instead of sitting in my trap bed as WV is mostly clay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2006, 13:45 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

waxed dirt is something that can be counted on,thats why its an oldie but a goodie,put alittle pellet antifreeze in the mix and the stuff never freezes even when it get wet,anyone else want to share how they do it?for you guys who get alot of snow how do you deal with keeping your sets running?

Post subject: anti freezing
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2006, 17:22 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Here in west central wisc, the snow can range from nonexistent to several feet. The temperatures fluctuate just as much. In the fall we normally get rain that freezes, then thaws, then freezes and so on until around mid november/early december. The ground I face is commonly clay though we do have pockets of sand scattered throughout. I've used anthill dirt with fair response. But for the last 5 yrs or so I just have been buying the crystal type sodium chloride. It seems to work the best for me because I leave no trap in the ground longer than say, maybe 2 weeks at the longest, then I pull it and am off to another spot. Once the ground is thouroughly frozen and my traps have been covered with 1/2" of predried dirt and once the temps stay below freezing so the ground doesn't thaw I have no problem with this antifreeze doing a number on my traps. I do still use wax paper which has been thoroughly crumpled above and below the trap which also helps to keep the caustic crystals from getting on the trap and doesn't allow the trap to become frozen into the ground.
I also use alot of pine needles in certain locations both as a trap bedding and cover. If gathered and allowed to dry for a couple months they too will be non absorbent in cold weather....and their bio-degradable and free.
Hope this helps.

yotes 28
red fox 19
grey fox 13
coon 21
rat 14
beaver 27
otter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2006, 21:46 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Seein' as how it froze up pretty much everywhere this week I thought I would bring this topic to the top. :D

Post subject: freeze
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2006, 22:17 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Gee, thanks Keith. After spending all weekend and this morning out checking and setting , I finally get to work and start warming up and you go and remind me it's cold outside. lol. Have you got many traps out yet?
Have started switching over to beaver 35 sets, with only a dozen or so k9 out. Probably have 3 dozen rat/mink sets out.

yotes 28
red fox 19
grey fox 13
coon 21
rat 14
beaver 27
otter