Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 14:38

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2007, 22:28 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

I've got a question for the beaver experts out there.

I acquired a new trapping location this season due to a beaver problem. I was given permission only a few days before freeze up. It's a stream that's backed up for a few hundred yards and located between corn fields. Only 1 main dam, but it's been there for a few years I guess. About 100 yards up from the dam is the only food pile that I saw during open water.

For the past 2 weeks, I've had a baited 330 pole set on each side of the pile. I've caught nothing. I baited with the same willow that the beaver had been cutting. Should I change bait? Maybe try an ear of corn? Or should I switch to snares and try them?

1 weasel
several grinners

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2007, 00:23 
Trapper
Trapper

If you are able to walk on the ice, you can find the runs between the lodge or den and the feed pile by tapping on the ice with your spud. The ice over the runs is thinner and has bubbles under it and will sound kind of hollow. When you have located the runs you can open a hole in the ice and place a 330 right on the bottom in the center of the runway. You can find the exact center of the runway by feeling the bottom with your spud, the very center of the runway will be harder than elsewhere. The beaver swim right on the bottom packing it down over time.

How deep is the water? And be careful as the ice over the runways is quite a bit thinner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2007, 10:05 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

From what I can tell at the sets, the water is about 5 feet under the ice. There is an old abandoned lodge up around the bend from the feed pile, I'd say about 100 yards or so. And another one down below the dam a ways.
This place would have been a trappers paradise if I could have got it a month and a half earlier. I've taken beaver before, but this is the first year I'm trying them through the ice.

1 weasel
several grinners