Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 22:01

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: drowning set for mink.
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2007, 21:02 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

ha ha got you to look. actually I didn't have the right trap with me so I set two #2 coil on either side of a stick in a spring and today a mink was drownd in about 2-3 inches of water it didn't even move out of the spot the trap was bedded. nice big buck thats three in three days two out of the same spring. two days in a row. there was no sign of struggle at all I like those types of catches I caught a muskrat the same way trap just below the surface of the water. it went by three sets and had two more to go if it made it past the one but to no avail . think I am getting the hang of catching mink. I have never ever targeted them til this year in the last couple of weeks . next year I will do this from the start. I have always caught mink before but only one maby two a season trying to catch muskrats. I know what to look for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2007, 19:15 
Trapper
Trapper

describe what your looking for....for the newbies....not for me...yeah it's for me....what catches your eye most for mink?

weasel-1
rats-46
Mink-
coon-3
Skunk!-1
Misc- 4
grinners-8
otter-1
Beaver-9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2007, 19:56 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

there is snow here and well its froze now but when it wasn't totally frozen I could see where mink would travel looking for a meal they would travel in the water for the most part if they can.they follow the edge lots or if the stream is very small they will travel the I guess they could call it the bottem edge #1 I caught one in an eddy, #2 I caught one in a narrowing spot in the center or bottem edge,#4 I caught two going from spring to spring following the open water. #5 I caught one on a top edge set running around some rapids #6 I caught one in a muskrat run at the edge of a shallow bank,#7 one was caught in a muskrat feeder run . the last two I spoke of were the first two I caught but I know why I caught them there now.#9 two were caught ontop of the ice I had seen where one had taken a muskrat to eat it little thief paid with his hide for that. #10 I caught another one 5 feet away from that one in a trail that they had used to steal the muskrat. I am going to move as I want to continue this in a different location to see what bigger streams can hold for learning. watching where they enter the water and where they get out will give some indication where they travel especially if you can see if they were digging and rutting around. There are certain spots you can recognize where they are more likely to exit the water . It isn't always the same but lots are . I have noticed where there is a spot where the water goes in to the shore kind of like where a muskrat has dug hence the pockett set or like it. I still have lots to learn about there travels and habits. I only have a short time so I am going to move this weekend for sure.I hope this helps me in the long run. and for next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2007, 21:31 
Trapper
Trapper

yeah i need to hit up the pocket set more. I am in army all week and last weekend, so i haven't been able to do much, and i have a rabbit tourny this weekend, do it every year.
I have seena couple of spots where they are climbing out of the water, bu they seem to be general in actual exit, in the same area, but not close enough for a blind set. I am a little confused on the minkers, but ill get after em next weekend i guess.

weasel-1
rats-46
Mink-
coon-3
Skunk!-1
Misc- 4
grinners-8
otter-1
Beaver-9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2007, 23:39 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

one thing to add army I know that the bucks will come back through in the next day or so maby two days I don't care if I catch any more were I am at but do want to see if they do come through again before tomorrow but I will keep a weasel trap so I can come back and see if there moving and when.This is an experiment/learning experiance for me. also since there should have been more rats where I was trapping here I think that the mink had a big impact on there numbers so there may be good numbers next year if they didn't eat them all . I did not trap bank dens on three sides of this small lake/ very large pond that is actually marsh for a long ways.maby I will take some pics if I remember. its fun posting If I would have known about websites years ago I would have tried more things in trapping I have been kind of sheltered from it never asked or read articals on trapping just set and go mostly runs and blind sets. I kind of feel ignorant now. but I know how to trap so It is easy to pick up on some things .like k9 I only set a couple this season and really have nothing to show for it . next place I try I will see about some real sets that may produce before I scare all of them off with my scent for days before I even set one for them.might set k9 first for a couple of days before I make any others.