Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 12:04

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pan Covers?
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2007, 16:44 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

I have never used a pan cover in the two years I have trapped. Traps are night latched and use all pre-sifted dry dirt. I am thinking about possible use of them for next year because of silted in traps due to rain or traps that didnt fire. Anyone want to share some thoughts on pan covers? What about under alls?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2007, 17:05 
We're back to asking "Ford or Chevy" again. They all work to some extent, and everyone has their own reasons for using what they use. Depends to some extent on soil conditions, freezing possibilities, target animals, etc.

I got by for many years on sandwich bags. Not the zip locks, the older types. Just kept a box in my bucket, reached in and pulled one out. They worked and they were cheap. The downside was they weren't porous so the moisture in the soil would add weight to the trap pan, and they collected/condensed moisture so when it froze, the entire coverning froze in one solid chunk.

Fiberglass window screen works, and it is porous to let moisture through. It's also cheap. Just takes time to cut what you need and make sure its the right size for your trap. Most guys have a mixed variety of traps, so what may work on a #1.65 Bridger may be too small for a #3 Monty. Big O advocates using steel window screen for a "bigger kill area," but I don't want the trap to fire unless the paw is deep in the center of the jaws. I used his steel window screen and had too many toe holds.

I never like sticking anything under the pan of my trap so I'm the wrong guy to ask about Underalls. My experience was the fabric collected moisture and would freeze.

My personal favorite -- for the type of trapping I do here in Nevada -- is a rubberized fabric sold in stores as a shelf covering. It's porous, doesn't collect moisture, and I can attach another piece to it to make a pocket to fit on the pan. That way the wind won't blow it off, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2007, 17:48 
I use polyfill. It's light, cheap, odorless, and does the job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2007, 18:08 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

poy fill as in the stuff you put in pillows? use this under the pan? dosnt freeze when wet?