Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 18:28

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Andy Stoe's Speed Dip
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2007, 14:44 
Trapper
Trapper

Has anyone used it? It's a dye that you mix with unleaded gas and its suppose to seal, penetrate, and rejuvenate old and new traps. I was just wondering if it is any good. I have some older traps that need to be dyed and dipped after I clean them up a bit and thought this might work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2007, 15:06 
Trapper
Trapper

yea it is good some say long wood dye is better but i have used it and caught many fox and cat but i would not recomend gas i would use colman fuel it mix and jsut seems to do better formula one trap dye is really good also if use speed dip do it out side and not around an heat source found that out hard way lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2007, 19:45 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I have used it its fast but I remember helping my dad in the early 70's gather walnuts and husk them boil and then boil the traps I still have some that still have the die on them from that time . so guess that works very well. now thats experiance . he he long time and still very dark and not rusted . of course they have been waxed a couple of times I will need to do that again for next year. My dad took two 55 gallon barrels one for the fire and the other he cut in half and mounted it on top. thats how we boiled them. he did have a gas can with a copper tube and a spigot to start the fire . well I would advise you not to do this . i don't remember how long it took to grow the eyebrows or hair back but there was none after one fire he started I was there and saw the fire shooting out of the barrel totally engulfing him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2007, 19:04 
Trapper
Trapper

My dad and I use speed dip without any trouble. One good thing about it is that you do not have to worry about overheating the trap like you do with boiling. My great uncle uses it too. He put one quart(I think this is the smaller size. I know you can get them in a gallon.) in a five gallon bucket and added gas to it. Every year he just adds some more gas to it and stirs it cause it will get gooey after setting. The new gas makes it runny again and he dips his traps. He hasn't added any speed dip for several years. Keep the bucket covered and you will not have to add much gas each year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2007, 19:46 
It's better to use white fuel I've been told, but I haven't used it m'self. I bought a dozen traps that had been dipped and they were soooo sticky. Ew. So, I stick with logwood.

Now, I have used formula one on some snares, and am very pleased with it. But it's water based, not fuel based.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2007, 18:43 
Trapper
Trapper

If you use log wood dye do you have to wax your traps also?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2007, 19:12 
Trapper
Trapper

I have used it and they were sticky. Didnt like it that much, but some people do like it. I would rather use a dye or make my own receipe and boil then wax.