Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 08:58

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009, 12:43 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Hello fellows,
I haven't been here in a while. It's been a rough year here and I've been watching TV more than trapping hunting or fishing. The other night on a show called Kent Hrbeck Outdoors they had on a champion beaver skunner. She skunned a nice beaver right in her kitchen on TV. She used two old hickory knives, one was had round blunt tip. Anyways, while she was jaw jacking and skunning, Kent was sharping her knives. She had a wire looking spring loaded rod type sharpener. I have never seen a knife sharpener like it. So I was wondering if anyone here know where I could get a sharpener like it. I would also like to know if it is any good or not. I hope everyone here is well. I wish you all a good season.
Brian

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009, 15:49 
I am not sure if this is what you are talking about, but it is what I use. I have a better system, but it cost about $550 dollars. :shock:

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009, 17:17 
I have that little dimond blade job they advertise on tv, the ausi tech, it works okay, dont know if that is what you are talkin about? There is really only so much you can do with stainless steel, ss is really just a pain in the rear. I really need to get me some carbon steel blades, I hear that is where it is at??

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009, 18:33 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Hey Red, I bet that's it! Have you used this? I'll punch up the web site to see how much it is. What type of sharpener do you use?
Man $550 is a lot of dough. How it work? Is it worth $550?
GA, she had high carbon type knives, their easier to sharpen. But they rust and look dirty to some people. I saw that Aussie system you have on TV. Looked like it would work good.
I think I'll stay with my Arkansas stones.
Brian

Last edited by DoOver on 14 Dec 2009, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009, 18:36 
yea that is what everyone says, that and they hold that edge that you put on them! I know my stainless knives are like good for one deer skinning and they need to be sharpened again!

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2009, 07:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I collect carbon blades. They are far superior to stainless steel except they do require more care as they tarnish easily. I like the look of the tarnish though. As far as stainless knives my deer knife goes thru 3 or 4 deer before it needs a touch up. CAMILLUS guthook, orange handled. They were carried by many names(Coleman, Western etc) but are about the same knife as Camillus made all of them. They are out of business but I picked up 3 off Ebay this summer for $20 or so each with shipping. One in my pack now has done 3 deer in the last week and a half and is still good to go.

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2009, 08:36 
Doover, the sharpener in the photo does a very good jog.It only cost about $100 at a Gun Show. The $550 Unit is a Tormek. It is has a water cooled stone, runs at slow RPM's and has a leather honing wheel. It also has jigs for precise angles. It does a GReat Job, but time comsuming.