Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 02:37

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Footholds for beaver
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2007, 09:16 
Trapper
Trapper

What size does everyone suggest for beaver? Would a 1.75 cs work that way I could use them for coyote or would a #2 be better. I'm thinking 1.75 over 2 because they are cheaper and smaller so I can carry more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2007, 09:36 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

i would never use somthing smaller than a three for beaver they have huge back feet and a very strong. fours would be even better

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2007, 09:53 
Trapper
Trapper

Price can be an issue for some but you need a large trap for beaver.
MB750
The front foot of a beaver is very small much like a coon,You should always taget the back foot and that takes a large trap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2007, 11:46 
I wouldn't use anything smaller than a #3 for beaver. Will a smaller trap catch them? Sure. Will it hold them? Maybe. Is it worth the risk? No. Even if you only buy one or two traps, it's better to use the right tools and do it right, than to use the wrong tools, and be frustrated, and possibly make a bad name for yourself. Never know who's out walking their dog that sees a beaver ripping itself free from a trap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2007, 13:19 
Trapper
Trapper

I would have to agree with lil bit. I use a lot of #3, but #4 are better. MB 750 are very nice. Depends on what you can use in your area. Still love them 330's. Less time to set and water depth is not a factor.

I can tell you right now, a #1 ls will hold a wolverine for a long time, but not long enough. Lost one yesterday in a #1, but not before he dug up my marten tree set and chewed the roots off and used the tree as a drag. He finaly pulled out. Bet I dont have him stealing my marten again.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2007, 14:54 
Trapper
Trapper

Thanks for the info. I'm not against going big I just just had no idea how big I needed to go. I have always used 330's and snares but wanted to add another tool to my tool box. It's always nice to have more options. Thanks for everything

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2007, 21:41 
Trapper
Trapper

A little clarification in MY opinion. A number 3 trap is a good trap for front foot beaver trapping, but only mediocre for rear foot trapping. Yes I catch a lot of beaver every year by the rear foot in #3's, but I would not, and DO not set them for rear foot catches, front foot only. If I am targeting a rear foot catch I use MB-750's or CDR's, for front foot I use #3 Bridger 4 coiled, base plated, night latched, pan leveled, 4 swivels, with a link between each, and #5 of tension. Good Luck WTA

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2007, 22:53 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

beaver have big back feet . ya know what they say about big feet . big trap. I baught #4 for beaver this year have a #3 but only would ever try to catch a front foot too big a chance to make him wise on a rear foot attempt . I have seen the mb750 and I really would like to get some they look like really good traps better looking than the #4 I have . but there real pricey Im sure there worthit If you have seen many traps you can see that it is a good one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2007, 01:24 
Trapper
Trapper

most of mine came from #3, but I like the #4 better. #5 is awsome.

Post subject: Front or rear
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2007, 22:11 
Trapper
Trapper

Some have said that they make sets targeting either the front or rear foot. How do you do this? Does anyone have a diagram or picture of a set? I need help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2007, 19:17 
Trapper
Trapper

Where are you from deke? You will need to check your game laws to see if you have a maximum jaw spread you are not allowed to exceed. In Pennsylvania, our traps jaws cannot exceed 6.5 inches except for the 330. My personal favorite for beaver is Bridger #3. I have only been trapping beave a couple of years. My first year I used #2 because that is all my dad and i had. I caught two little ones with them and i am glad i did not catch anything bigger. I have yet to have too much trouble with the #3 and I set for the backfoot. I biggest ones i have caught have been around 40 pounds. If i was allowed a bigger trap i would surely use one. Bigger is better in this case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2007, 15:37 
Trapper
Trapper

What about snares? you can buy almost 2 dozen beaver snares for the low price of 1 MB-750. Quicker to set to.